Home Precious Metals

sterling silver flatware ?

so i have a manchester silver flatware set, 60 pcs total of 60oz sterling.a jewler offered 725.oo cash for scrap. todays market is 21.556 current. what is it really worth and can i get a better price by taking it into manhattan myself and where? if he,s paying $725 what will he get for it at scrap value? thnx for anyone who could fill me in.

Comments

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭
    60 oz sterling (is this full weight on knives or figuring them at 5g each?)

1866 grams sterling
    X .925 =
    1726.05 grams pure

full melt at $21.56 silver is 69¢/gram

1726.05 X 69¢ = $1190.97

$1190.97 X 61% = $726.49

His offer was a buy price of ~ 61% of melt. Probalby not too far off of what you may find elsewhere. He may get 75% of melt from whomever he sends it to to refine.

If you just want to scrap it, I would give Midwest Refineries a shot, they pay 90% of pure silver.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, just send to Midwest Refineries, Waterford, Michigan.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Large Knives and Cake Knives have weighted handles and stainless blades. Sterling in the handles is approx 10 dwt for large knives, 6 dwt for cake knives.

Also, best refiner prices is 90% on ASSAY. Which means you get 90% of 92.5% which a best case is 83%. Be prepared to pay shipping on your items and wait for your payment by CHECK - not CASH.

Taking all this into account, you are lucky a local guy pays 65% - on your $1190 full scrap value, you are really talking $987 - if assay holds at .925. A buyer at 65% would pay $775 or about ~$200 less.

You will pay at least $40-$50 to ship insured. Now you are at $150 difference.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good info everyone, thanks.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>He may get 75% of melt from whomever he sends it to to refine >>

The dealer will get approx 81%. That is my experience. Large refiners only deal with commercial businesses in the NYC Metro area.

So approx 16% is his take - im sure some of you think thats big money, but when you consider "lights on" cost to operate a B&M shop, local regulatory issues (holding periods), metal price risk for holding period as well as stolen property risks - it isnt much at all.

If you arent pulling 16-20% gross profit, you better pack it up and close shop.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in Fargo were paying 80% of melt. We have strong connection with our refiner and receive a higher % of melt. We also ship them 50 gallon barrels of sterling flatware, jewelry, and rounds.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......We also ship them 50 gallon barrels of sterling flatware, jewelry, and rounds. >>

This just blows my mind.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot of profit there for a dealer... likely a fair offer. As indicated above, you will get a better deal from the refinery. Cheers, RickO
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do get a better deal from a refiner, but from my experience from when I was doing PM's and coins solo. Was that most refiners wont work with the small guys. I needed all sorts of paperwork, tax info, local law enforcement agreement. So for me it was more of a hassle then I wanted to deal with. Some refiners will actually let you visit them and drop off your PM's for refining which is the way I went about it, since it was in a town my wife loves to shop in and they had the check to me within an hour. I was still pretty small at that point bringing them 100-200 oz of mix silver a month. I never dealt in gold however.

<< <i>Here in Fargo were paying 80% of melt. We have strong connection with our refiner and receive a higher % of melt. We also ship them 50 gallon barrels of sterling flatware, jewelry, and rounds. >>

I dont know anyone paying 80% to the public. There's nothing left in it for the dealer. As far as flatware, the assays are usually nice and close. Jewelry - forget it. Ranges from 76% to 87-88%.

In a highly populated area, the silver/gold scrap biz has slowed considerably. Many guys just give up - not worth it. I havent seen anything like 50 gallon barrels filled since 79-80.

So, in your special case, if youre not speaking from experience.....I beg to differ.