Options

Interesting find in New York City

dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat, and not at all surprising, considering the urban location.

The archaeologist Ivor Noel Hume (read everything he's ever written, digpeople, and you're in for a treat) tells an anecdote in his book All The Best Rubbish about how he was working on a site in London, when they were rebuilding a structure that had gotten bombed during the war, and this large trove of bottles was discovered. These were even earlier, from the 1600s. Workmen and/or boys in the area were getting their jollies by smashing them against one of the surviving foundation walls. Hume was late on the scene, and only managed to rescue a few examples, but as I recall, there was some rare stuff there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting... a lot of American history buried under New York City.....such a shame that it has come to the current condition of rot. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    (spoiler alert!) ... Probably many of you saw the movie National Treaure -- quite the find buried there in Downtown Manhattan under an old church.

It still amazes me how much is packed onto such a small island. There's also endless levels of subways, water and sewage conduits, the Mole people, etc...