Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1975 Topps George Brett PSA 9...

PSA 9 George Brett

I thought I remember this card selling in the $700 to $800 range in the past few years. Is that correct?

If so wow these have really broken out to the upside.

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Seems par for the course with PWCC auctions as of late.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow. whoever consigned that must be carping their pants.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2,000

Here is an example that sold earlier year and was a very strong one.

• The bidding blew by my offer. Problem is lesser examples are now BIN'd at that level.

It does happen to be a nice 9 recently graded.

Heard the 9's of Ryan and Brett were tough to come by at the National. Is that the case?
  • Yes, the Brett 9's have seen quite an increase over the past year.

HOF PSA RCs across the board have seen a nice increase over the past two years
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

<< <i>The bidding blew by my offer. Problem is lesser examples are now BIN'd at that level. >>

Bingo! I have no problem paying strong for cards that are strong for the grade, but I agree with you a Mark, your seeing auctions from PWCC and/or Probstein set new starting points for lesser graded cards. So your left to wait it out until those BIN prices pull back, or watch someone inpatient pull the trigger on the BIN which only further entrenches that new found pricing.

The Brett and Schmidt RC's are perfect examples of two cards that have doubled in price over the last 6-8 months.
  • ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭
  • ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Mark,

Can't speak on the Ryan rookies, but the Brett 9's were indeed hard to find. Granted, I got to the National on Saturday morning, but the only one I saw wasn't even for sale. It's going up for auction in the next Memory Lane auction. It's a beauty though.

Alan

<< <i>Heard the 9's of Ryan and Brett were tough to come by at the National. Is that the case? >>

I didn't see a Brett PSA 9 RC, but did see a Ryan 9. Dealer was asking $7500 for it. Aside from that and of course the PSA 10 Ryan that Tony E Trade had in his case, there were plenty of PSA 8 Ryan RC's.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    mini bretts have exploded as well.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • PSA pop report is showing 180 graded 9.

I had no idea the market was getting that strong for certain 70s rookie cards.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Love that t/b on the 8

• << <i>Look at where the PSA 8's are heading >>

to be fair, that is a finely centered PSA 8
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look at where the PSA 8's are heading >>

to be fair, that is a finely centered PSA 8 >>

True....looks like a 9

Look at this 8 though
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Look at where the PSA 8's are heading >>

to be fair, that is a finely centered PSA 8 >>

True....looks like a 9

Look at this 8 though >>

That's actually as nicely centered as the other one, but askew in the holder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 2 more insane BINs just hit the bay! SGC 98 and another "amazing 9" - the sum of which get me a pretty sweet 52 mantle in the 2-3 range.

Did someone buy up like 30 PSA 9 bretts and bury them? Or is George getting some extra attention on you tube for his stellar interview during 2012 Home Run derby?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The run on HOF rookiees seems to be selective though. Dave Winfield's RC in PSA 9 has increased slightly this year but nothing near where the Brett has.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    We should all party like it's August 2008. Certainly feels that way on many levels.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The bidding blew by my offer. Problem is lesser examples are now BIN'd at that level. >>

Bingo! I have no problem paying strong for cards that are strong for the grade, but I agree with you a Mark, your seeing auctions from PWCC and/or Probstein set new starting points for lesser graded cards. So your left to wait it out until those BIN prices pull back, or watch someone inpatient pull the trigger on the BIN which only further entrenches that new found pricing.

The Brett and Schmidt RC's are perfect examples of two cards that have doubled in price over the last 6-8 months. >>

MB if I remember correctly you have a PSA 9 Brett, can I ask some details on that, IE: did you buy it raw, graded, psa, how long have you had it and what did you pay? I have a nice raw Yount that I think would grade PSA 8 but my current Brett is probably a PSA6 and I would like to upgrade. Thanks, BC.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
    The SGC 98 sold. There are still a number of 9s for sale, with the low being a low end 4sc for 1499.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

<< <i>The SGC 98 sold. There are still a number of 9s for sale, with the low being a low end 4sc for 1499. >>

If you had the item on your watch list either post the auction number in the thread and I will go find the selling price or go to link posted below and enter it in there and post it in the thread.

Thanks.

EBAY SG
    last vcp was 3k and change

question will the 98 cross to a 10 or a 9?
  • That SGC 98 is a gorgeous card. Just a beautiful specimen. Politics plays into the crossing game, but focusing on the card itself-- just a real fantastic piece. Congrats to whoever reeled it in.
    That was me. I bought it eyes wide open, assuming it wont cross, but being very happy with the card first and flip second. I've always been a fan of SGC personally. What would a PSA 10 go for today? More than I could afford for sure.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    How many on the boards here have a 9 mini Brett? I believe mine was somewhere between the 100th and 110th graded. Can't quite remember.

• << <i>card first and flip second. >>

That is what it's all about! I have owned and held a PSA 10 of that card and yours measures up in every way, and then some.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The value is in spotting the 9's that are spectacular 9's and can compare to a 10. Like that Brett. It's gorgeous and I would not flinch if it were in a 10 holder.

Across the board, 1960's and mainly 1970's HOF RC's continue to skyrocket and are as solid an investment you can get. The Schmidt and Brett are skyrocketing, but Winfield, Yount, Dawson, Molitor, Ozzie, Rickey, Munson, Reggie, etc etc all continue to go up
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    That's my mini 9. I pulled it from an REA case I personally bought and broke. Can't find a flaw, but have been unsuccessful so far reviewing it. The Yount was a purchase and I was too lazy to crap the old scan to show just the brett.
    [URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jimduffett/media/Mar1901_zpsd81dff93.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

• << <i>2 more insane BINs just hit the bay! SGC 98 and another "amazing 9" - the sum of which get me a pretty sweet 52 mantle in the 2-3 range.

Did someone buy up like 30 PSA 9 bretts and bury them? Or is George getting some extra attention on you tube for his stellar interview during 2012 Home Run derby? >>

I think his Las Vegas crab leg story has made him an absolute legend and kids who see his pine-tar tirade get to see what it REALLY looks like when a guy loses his mind
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If 9's are going for the low end of $1500, what do you think 8.5 would go for since high to mid end 8's are going over $200?

Current POP. 8-10's, 180-9's , 27-8.5's & 1894-8's
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

<< <i>If 9's are going for the low end of $1500, what do you think 8.5 would go for since high to mid end 8's are going over $200? >>

$600 if you were somewhat patient via a BIN auction on EBAY.
  • schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    Thank You Jeff Foy for selling me the Brett PSA 9 at the Chicago Sun Times show earlier this year!!!! Since then the prices have been stupid.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We should all party like it's August 2008. Certainly feels that way on many levels. >>

Which was a lot like late 1999, early 2000. People that continue to hype without any substance typically profit the most, while everyone else holds the bag.

Those who cannot remember the past....
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Anyone notice the Aaron RC PSA 8 that just went for over nine grand?!
  • i know there was one on here almost a year ago that was well centered and in hindisght a bargain!

<< <i>Anyone notice the Aaron RC PSA 8 that just went for over nine grand?! >>

That was a steal with a chance for a bump. It was won by a CU member.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i know there was one on here almost a year ago that was well centered and in hindisght a bargain! >>

I tried to buy that card from MB for 5K but couldn't get my finances in order so I had to back out. Sad imageimageimage
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
    Brent did a great job with the description on that card. I don't know if it helps with the price but it certainly sounds good.

Clemente

Another huge card that will be ending today.

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone notice the Aaron RC PSA 8 that just went for over nine grand?! >>

That was a steal with a chance for a bump. It was won by a CU member. >>

I don't think it will bump. The top-to-bottom centering and stain on the reverse will probably prevent it. Still a nice card. I thought about making a run on it until I measured the centering and noticed the stain.

<< <i>I don't think it will bump. The top-to-bottom centering and stain on the reverse will probably prevent it. Still a nice card. I thought about making a run on it until I measured the centering and noticed the stain >>

I've seen 9's that have worse centering T-B and I must be blind because I don't see a stain. I think it has a great shot at a bump.

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think it will bump. The top-to-bottom centering and stain on the reverse will probably prevent it. Still a nice card. I thought about making a run on it until I measured the centering and noticed the stain >>

I've seen 9's that have worse centering T-B and I must be blind because I don't see a stain. I think it has a great shot at a bump. >>

I measured 65-35 top to bottom. The stain is a black spot on the right border on the reverse, about 3/4 of the way toward the top of the card.
    Wow the Clemente PSA 8 is on the move!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    That Aaron 8 is a beauty with a capital B!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    A gorgeous specimen which is sure to become a $10,000+ item in the years to come; there simply are not enough to go around.

I guess we didn't have to wait years. LOL

3 minutes to go.
    Well, I ended up winning the Clemente. Always wanted that card. I paid a steep price for it but it's a beauty. Just about right on 60-40 top-to-bottom and confirmed the snow on the cap is the holder and not the card. I think it has a good shot to bump but I'm not counting on it. That card will stay in my collection for years. Incidentally, I think the card came from the same collection as Dmitri's PSA 10 version as the cert is just a few cards before this one.
  • BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 394 ✭✭
    Very nice card and great pickup. I was also following that auction.

<< <i>Very nice card and great pickup. I was also following that auction. >>

Thanks. I guess being a big Pirate fan from PA and the Pirates having a quality team this year all conspired against me to make me want this card enough to win it. image
    Congrats on the Clemente pickup. Great card for sure!