Home Sports Talk
Options

Jon Ogden's classless reference to Lawrence Phillips in his HOF speech

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
Totally unnecessary and classless for a HOF induction, regardless of how true it is. I also thought his speech was highly arrogant.

From what I gathered, he made the same comment about him being selected instead of LP at his retirement presser in 2008.

Comments

• Options
    It's possible LP said something about JO back in the day that he took personal. As for arrogance, he is in the HOF and I don't recall any off field issues the he had with the team.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It was inappropriate and unnecessary. Makes the HOF and punches down at someone totally irrelevant, just because.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's possible LP said something about JO back in the day that he took personal. As for arrogance, he is in the HOF and I don't recall any off field issues the he had with the team. >>

Neither did I, which is why I was shocked with some of the speech.
  • Options
    I was surprised and thought the call out was in poor taste. You're getting inducted into the hall of fame, c'mon man, forget about that.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    He wasn't even the best at his position when he played- that's the real reason he was such a jerk.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Geez, LP is a mess as it is, why kick him further down the stairs.

Who the hell is Jon Ogden? Never remember anything about this guy, and I watch NFL games a LOT. The bar sure is low for the NFL HOF except for punters, who are not allowed. He probably did 'roids to boot along with some of Stabby's deer antler spray.
  • Options

<< <i>He probably did 'roids to boot along with some of Stabby's deer antler spray. >>

Among this years Hall-of-Fame inductees, Cris Carter failed a drug test, lots of reports said Warren Sapp did ... what evidence is there that Ogden ever used drugs?

Not knowing who Jon Ogden is says more about your knowledge of the game than anything about him. Whether or not he is classless, he was a great player. Is there anyone with at least 11 Pro Bowls who isn't in the Hall-of-Fame?
  • Options
    Michael Jordan thinks that's a low class move too hah
  • Options
    The truth is that Ossie Newsome must have told Ogden that they were considering taking Lawerence Phillips in their draft slot. I know as I was holding my breath as a Giant fan praying the Ravens would not be swayed by the drug talk. Alas they took my guy in the 8th slot. Jonathan Ogden was everything he was cracked up to be and more! Lawerence Phillips life was a disaster and he should be pitied. Drug addiction is an awful disease. Would Ogden have been better off using his head, YES! Riley Cooper given another chance would have been better off not saying the" N "word also.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Lol, his speech may not have been one of the best, but hes a nice humble guy when ive gotten autographs and around ravens training camp, Warren Sapp came out of the autograph signings last weekend and told a boy that couldnt have been more then 7 or 8 years old who had get this... an index card... to go "F### himself" pretty sure the kid didnt even know what the heck that meant, trust me Ogdens a saint compared to that jackass, the modern hall of famers hardly even acknowledge you and are mostly classless, and us kids (im 20) realize this, and it makes us want to just stop caring, if i didnt go meet the old guys like Charly Trippi or Frank Gifford or more old names who treat you like a person I dont know if id be so interested in this hobby, and whats going to happen when the kids realize these athletes are jokes, our autographs and cards arent going to be worth passing on, all the people who are middle aged and remember the good guys will be gone, the autographs are going from every letter and turning into two initials and a check mark, the cards that are works of art are just old dead fogies, so Ogden called out a guy who wasted his life and you think thats classless, dont kick the dog when hes down, embrace tv specials with men in prison and show them in the limelight, glorify the bad guys on criminal minds, if that comment about someone who did mess up is being classless why do you all idolize guys like Mantle who would get drunk and call your beloved DiMaggio a c### sucker. Thiere just people, lay off and chill and enjoy it. Freedom of speech is what its about, so we wont target Larry allen for talking about Booze in his speech? why isnt he a classless piece of sh## talking about alchohal when Hundreds of thousands of kids and teens watch the ceremonys???? so for your hall of fame induction you can go ahead and keep it clean and perfectly politically correct, thats not my half cent thats my full cent on the subject
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Do what now?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who the hell is Jon Ogden? Never remember anything about this guy, and I watch NFL games a LOT. >>

It is absolutely inconceivable that anybody who watches "a LOT" of NFL games over the last 15 years doesn't know who Jonathan Ogden is.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Freedom of speech is what its about, so we wont target Larry allen for talking about Booze in his speech?

Hey now. Larry's line, referencing a forty, was the funniest of the night.

Ogden's speech was fine. It was unnecessary to mention LP but whatever. It wasn't that big of a deal. Plus it was true!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't understand what the big deal is at all. It was a glancing comment, and pretty funny, imo, (and true!).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Who the hell is Jon Ogden? Never remember anything about this guy, and I watch NFL games a LOT. >>

It is absolutely inconceivable that anybody who watches "a LOT" of NFL games over the last 15 years doesn't know who Jonathan Ogden is. >>

+1.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lol, his speech may not have been one of the best, but hes a nice humble guy when ive gotten autographs and around ravens training camp, Warren Sapp came out of the autograph signings last weekend and told a boy that couldnt have been more then 7 or 8 years old who had get this... an index card... to go "F### himself" pretty sure the kid didnt even know what the heck that meant, trust me Ogdens a saint compared to that jackass, the modern hall of famers hardly even acknowledge you and are mostly classless, and us kids (im 20) realize this, and it makes us want to just stop caring, if i didnt go meet the old guys like Charly Trippi or Frank Gifford or more old names who treat you like a person I dont know if id be so interested in this hobby, and whats going to happen when the kids realize these athletes are jokes, our autographs and cards arent going to be worth passing on, all the people who are middle aged and remember the good guys will be gone, the autographs are going from every letter and turning into two initials and a check mark, the cards that are works of art are just old dead fogies, so Ogden called out a guy who wasted his life and you think thats classless, dont kick the dog when hes down, embrace tv specials with men in prison and show them in the limelight, glorify the bad guys on criminal minds, if that comment about someone who did mess up is being classless why do you all idolize guys like Mantle who would get drunk and call your beloved DiMaggio a c### sucker. Thiere just people, lay off and chill and enjoy it. Freedom of speech is what its about, so we wont target Larry allen for talking about Booze in his speech? why isnt he a classless piece of sh## talking about alchohal when Hundreds of thousands of kids and teens watch the ceremonys???? so for your hall of fame induction you can go ahead and keep it clean and perfectly politically correct, thats not my half cent thats my full cent on the subject >>

GR man...just wow. That rant above is 5 sentences in total that really should be about 25. Your love of commas is noted.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    McAdams your 100% right I apologize for my grammatical errors Im still going to college to learn how to fix them, LarryAllenfan thats the point I was making. It was hilarious! They are all hall of famers so let them speak about what they want to, It wasn't like he was making a classless remark about somebody who kept thiere nose clean...
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>McAdams your 100% right I apologize for my grammatical errors Im still going to college to learn how to fix them, LarryAllenfan thats the point I was making. It was hilarious! They are all hall of famers so let them speak about what they want to, It wasn't like he was making a classless remark about somebody who kept thiere nose clean... >>

Ha. I misunderstood. I thought you were saying LA shouldn't have mentioned his forty ouncer from his first date. All good.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It is absolutely inconceivable that anybody who watches "a LOT" of NFL games over the last 15 years doesn't know who Jonathan Ogden is. >>

+1. >>

Hey, I remember Trent Dilfer image Sorry, I did not watch many Ravens games unless they played the Pats - I may watch more now that scumbag Lewis is gone. Still, Ogden's career stats looked pretty mediocre for the HOF -- sucks that guys like that get in and Ray Guy can't.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still, Ogden's career stats looked pretty mediocre for the HOF -- sucks that guys like that get in and Ray Guy can't. >>

Can't tell if this is serious or an attempt at humor. Either way, it's super funny. image
  • Options

<< <i>Still, Ogden's career stats looked pretty mediocre for the HOF >>

Nine time All Pro and 11 time Pro Bowl. Which stats do you see that make him look mediocre?
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>Still, Ogden's career stats looked pretty mediocre for the HOF >>

Nine time All Pro and 11 time Pro Bowl. Which stats do you see that make him look mediocre? >>

He didn't get enough sacks.
  • Options

<< <i>He didn't get enough sacks. >>

He had as many as Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith combined
  • Options
    He was short on receiving and rushing yards too.

I would love to hear what "stats" of his came up mediocre.
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to hear what "stats" of his came up mediocre. >>

He ranked pretty low in the critical name-recognition-among-casual-of-football-fans category apparently?

Ogden was an absolute beast and assumed by most who really follow the NFL (not just their team(s), like many do) to be a first ballot HOFer.

I didn't find his comments to be especially distasteful, I took it as an attempt at humor, but understand those who think it wasn't necessary.

But I always enjoy listening to the old guys the most... Dave Robinson was, by far, my favorite speech this year.

Snorto~
  • Options
    All right you guys got me. This guy just did not show up on my radar for whatever reason.

I still think Ray Guy should get in. Guess the HOF induction committee hates punters.
  • Options

<< <i>Dave Robinson was, by far, my favorite speech this year. >>

We had 6 guys there and we all thought his was the best. Funny since he was the one guy I had never heard of.
  • Options
    I read Ogden's quote and yeah life worked out better for him than LP. But that is becuase of LP's addiction issues. I wonder if the press would have laughed if LP would have lost the use of his legs or died of cancer. It would still have worked out better for Ogden, wouldn't it have? Ogden's comments were low class...but then again, I've grown to expect that "chip-on-my-shoulder" classlessness from people who attend the red-headed step child that is UCLA.

• Options
    Ray Guy should either be in the hall, or they should kick Jan Stenerud Out!
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i> I wonder if the press would have laughed if LP would have lost the use of his legs or died of cancer. >>

You are so right because, you know, losing use of your legs and/or dying from cancer is EXACTLY like being a useless drug addict who beats women and drove a car into a group of teenage kids on purpose. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I wonder if the press would have laughed if LP would have lost the use of his legs or died of cancer. >>

You are so right because, you know, losing use of your legs and/or dying from cancer is EXACTLY like being a useless drug addict who beats women and drove a car into a group of teenage kids on purpose. image

Snorto~ >>

First of all, you don't have your story straight...he didn't "beat women". Second, I don't recall saying that being addicted to drugs and/or alcohol is EXACTLY like cancer or paralysis...my point is that LP has lived a troubled life and his is one of those tragic stories of a kid who grew up in a group home and took a bad direction in life. We always hope that sports will give those type of kids a new focus, but it doesn't always turn out the way we would hope. I just think that Ogden showed a real lack of class and the reporters who laughed reinforced the idea that it's okay to kick someone when they are down and laugh at the tragedy of a waisted talent and what seems to be (at least right now) a waisted life. But perhaps the press aren't the only ones who think the tastless remarks of Ogden are funny or appropriate. Your reply is very telling.
  • Options

<< <i>First of all, you don't have your story straight...he didn't "beat women". >>

Uh, yeah, he did. He was suspended by Nebraska for beating up his girlfriend. And, in 2005, he was wanted by two different police departments for assaults on women and was eventually convicted for one of the incidents.

<< <i>Second, I don't recall saying that being addicted to drugs and/or alcohol is EXACTLY like cancer or paralysis...my point is that LP has lived a troubled life and his is one of those tragic stories of a kid who grew up in a group home and took a bad direction in life. We always hope that sports will give those type of kids a new focus, but it doesn't always turn out the way we would hope. I just think that Ogden showed a real lack of class and the reporters who laughed reinforced the idea that it's okay to kick someone when they are down and laugh at the tragedy of a waisted talent and what seems to be (at least right now) a waisted life. But perhaps the press aren't the only ones who think the tastless remarks of Ogden are funny or appropriate. Your reply is very telling. >>

Yeah, it is a little bit of kicking a guy when he's down. However, when the guy has beaten up multiple women and drives his car into a group of teenagers, I'm thinking it's OK to kick the guy when he's down.
  • Options
    << First of all, you don't have your story straight...he didn't "beat women". >>

Didn't he throw his girlfriend down a flight of stairs, iirc?

Obviously by your avatar your perspective is biased, but LP was a dirtbag. No excuses.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>First of all, you don't have your story straight...he didn't "beat women". >>

Uh, yeah, he did. He was suspended by Nebraska for beating up his girlfriend. And, in 2005, he was wanted by two different police departments for assaults on women and was eventually convicted for one of the incidents.

<< <i>Second, I don't recall saying that being addicted to drugs and/or alcohol is EXACTLY like cancer or paralysis...my point is that LP has lived a troubled life and his is one of those tragic stories of a kid who grew up in a group home and took a bad direction in life. We always hope that sports will give those type of kids a new focus, but it doesn't always turn out the way we would hope. I just think that Ogden showed a real lack of class and the reporters who laughed reinforced the idea that it's okay to kick someone when they are down and laugh at the tragedy of a waisted talent and what seems to be (at least right now) a waisted life. But perhaps the press aren't the only ones who think the tastless remarks of Ogden are funny or appropriate. Your reply is very telling. >>

Yeah, it is a little bit of kicking a guy when he's down. However, when the guy has beaten up multiple women and drives his car into a group of teenagers, I'm thinking it's OK to kick the guy when he's down. >>

After he left the NFL for good he was convicted of on ONE incident of assault and battery on a woman. First of all, I was correct…I questioned the use of the term “beating women” (plural). He was convicted of assault and battery on a woman relating to ONE incident in 2009. From the what I’ve read it was pretty serious. And NO I am not defending him for that, and YES it is wrong and nobody should EVER assault a woman. I just hate when people misrepresent the facts to try to make their position in an argument carry more weight.
    In another case (the one in Nebraska while he was still in college) he went to his estranged girlfriend’s apartment and pulled her outside (by the arm) to talk about their relationship. Once again, that was wrong. If she didn’t want to talk that was up to her…and he pled guilty to misdemeanor assault (no battery) for that incident. But he did not “beat” her. The other allegation was found to hold no merit. So to say he “beat women” is nothing more than hyperbole.

• Options

<< <i><< First of all, you don't have your story straight...he didn't "beat women". >>

Obviously by your avatar your perspective is biased, but LP was a dirtbag. No excuses. >>

I was waiting for the first person to say that I am defending him because he went to Nebraska. Well, think what you want. I am not defending anything that he has done, nor am I making excuses for his actions. What I am saying is that he was a troubled young man that squandered a potentially long and lucrative career because of substance abuse. And I don’t think a tragic story like his is EVER funny. Hey, why don’t we laugh about Whitney Houston ending up dead because of substance abuse, or Willie Shoemaker ending up in a wheelchair, or (fill in the blank of a lost life due to substance abuse). My point is, Lawrence Phillips was an amazing talent. It was wasted because of substance abuse, and making fun of him at a press conference while you celebrate your success is low class and shouldn’t be laughed at….the reporters there should have called Ogden on it…not chuckled along with him.
    You want to chalk it up to LP just being a bad guy? Go ahead. I am not apologizing for his bad decisions, recklessness, and the assault on one woman and the assault and battery on another…or his assault with an automobile. All I know is that he is in prison and will be there until he is in his late 50s paying for his crimes. I would just hope that his time there would be enough punishment and that we wouldn’t kick him while he is down. I really don’t think what Ogden said was acceptable. That’s what my point was.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< First of all, you don't have your story straight...he didn't "beat women". >>

Obviously by your avatar your perspective is biased, but LP was a dirtbag. No excuses. >>

I was waiting for the first person to say that I am defending him because he went to Nebraska. Well, think what you want. I am not defending anything that he has done, nor am I making excuses for his actions. What I am saying is that he was a troubled young man that squandered a potentially long and lucrative career because of substance abuse. And I don’t think a tragic story like his is EVER funny. Hey, why don’t we laugh about Whitney Houston ending up dead because of substance abuse, or Willie Shoemaker ending up in a wheelchair, or (fill in the blank of a lost life due to substance abuse). My point is, Lawrence Phillips was an amazing talent. It was wasted because of substance abuse, and making fun of him at a press conference while you celebrate your success is low class and shouldn’t be laughed at….the reporters there should have called Ogden on it…not chuckled along with him.
    You want to chalk it up to LP just being a bad guy? Go ahead. I am not apologizing for his bad decisions, recklessness, and the assault on one woman and the assault and battery on another…or his assault with an automobile. All I know is that he is in prison and will be there until he is in his late 50s paying for his crimes. I would just hope that his time there would be enough punishment and that we wouldn’t kick him while he is down. I really don’t think what Ogden said was acceptable. That’s what my point was. >>

Phillips was truly wasted talent. Osborne and his teammates tried to steer him in the right direction. Dick Vermiel drafted him with the #6 pick and thought he could help him get on the right track and it drove him to tears. Then he got a 3rd chance after seemingly turning his life around playing in the NFL Europe league (was MVP). Nope, off the wagon again.

Another tragic Husker was Doug DuBose -- I thought he was going to be even better than Mike Rozier. Got like 3 or 4 second chances in the NFL and could not stay away from drugs.

But hey, at least they did not murder anyone! image