Home Metal Detecting
Options

8/3/13: Old ring (not sure how old), more buttons, and a lock

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got back to the same area that yielded the other goodies recently. No coins today, but managed a ring (brass maybe?). It looks older, maybe 1800s, or could it even be 1700s? No idea how to tell, but not sure how to clean it. Also got a neat lock and 7 more buttons. 3 more spoon bowls too, and couple other spoon pieces.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with an agitated acetone bath...... repeat with clean solvent three times... followed by an alcohol rinse and then running hot water....let dry. Then show another picture and we can determine if further steps are needed. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Start with an agitated acetone bath...... repeat with clean solvent three times... followed by an alcohol rinse and then running hot water....let dry. Then show another picture and we can determine if further steps are needed. Cheers, RickO >>

RickO, after further inspection, there was some flaking on the ring's shank, so I figured it wouldn't have been able to take much tinkering with. The ground here isn't kind to non-silver or gold objects. Just ended up brushing it gently with a dry tooth brush. It seems to have gotten most of the dirt off. How do the updated pics look?

• Options
    i was thinking it looked like a pilgrim cross and went looking, this SITE HERE is interesting to say the least, i even bookmarked it for my use somewhere down the road,,, nice finds, always enjoy your post,,,bj
    imageimageimageimageimage