Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Joe Orlando announces new PSA holder at the National's Set Registry Luncheon

Mr. Orlando stated at today's PSA Set Registry Luncheon at the National that PSA has developed a new, more secure holder for cards and it will start being used in a month or two. The top of the holder will overlay the bottom of the holder and be sealed accordingly. No longer will the top simply fit on top of the bottom and be sealed. The new holder will be thicker than the current one but everything else will look the same and they will nicely stack on top of current PSA holders as the groves are identical and the size is the same except for the thickness. The label's back will also have a change...looked like hologram type lettering that is once again a security measure. No one asked if there is a planned re-holdering special in the future but it is certain to be on the minds of collectors. Personally, I'm glad that PSA has made this move to a more secure holder although I don't plan on re-holdering my thousands of PSA cards.

Comments

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Really great news. Thanks for sharing it.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was at the PSA booth submitting cards, I asked to look at the new holder, does not look thicker at all. Great new design and does sit perfectly on the older design. Joe said they are going to phase them in over the next few months. The ladies at PSA also said that the new holder will be able to house the thicker patch/memorabilia without having to submit a different form, it will just be a little thicker slab.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great move on the part of PSA. Nice to see that companies listen to their customers. Best of luck to PSA on the transition.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    That's the best news I've heard all year from PSA. thanks for sharing image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I was at the PSA booth submitting cards, I asked to look at the new holder, does not look thicker at all. Great new design and does sit perfectly on the older design. Joe said they are going to phase them in over the next few months. The ladies at PSA also said that the new holder will be able to house the thicker patch/memorabilia without having to submit a different form, it will just be a little thicker slab. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Strange that there is nothing on their website about it. Also strange that my latest sub was both received and logged today. Granted it's a CC Renewal sub and I for once did remember to write the days (7) on the box.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Cool. Any pics of new holder?
    Sounds similar to BGS holder.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    How was the luncheon. What did they serve? Was it a buffet?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info..mn. this is the BEST thing to come from the National! Now how much to re holster my 1,000 PSA cards?? Lol
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Did they say if the new holder will have any UV protection?
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news.
    Does anyone have any pics of the new holder?
    21,200,000 cards graded to date.
    Cant wait to see the new holder.
  • Options
    Great news but I need pictures.
  • Options

<< <i>Great news but I need pictures. >>

Paul, I'm sure this will be front page website news with lots of pics, after the National.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did they say if the new holder will have any UV protection? >>

+1
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    This makes me sad. I just sold off alot of big slabbed cards because I didn't want to ahve to deal with storing them. Now, I would have loved to have paid to get them re-slabbed.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i> Paul, I'm sure this will be front page website news with lots of pics, after the National. >>

Alright as*hole, unless Paul is in the military and sitting in Afghanistan typing this sh*t, that stop assuming you know who the hell new members are! You can also take those blue gloves in your pic and shove them where the sun don't shine. No UV protection needed!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Paul, I'm sure this will be front page website news with lots of pics, after the National. >>

Alright as*hole, unless Paul is in the military and sitting in Afghanistan typing this sh*t, that stop assuming you know who the hell new members are! You can also take those blue gloves in your pic and shove them where the sun don't shine. No UV protection needed! >>

I didn't know you are in the military but I have no idea what you are talking about? I was just saying that I'm sure PSA will have tons of pics of the website as soon as their staff return from a busy National. It was announced at the National but I'm sure they will have a whole hobby roll out. I'm excited!
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Someone took some picture of the slab and posted it on the Net54 site. Still hard to see however. Link
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't know you are in the military but I have no idea what you are talking about? >>

Now you know and you're FOS. There have been many senior members trolling these boards that just can't seem to move passed sh*t. As for the pictures, I'd imagine PSA would annouce a new holder on their website but pics from the National, by members, would have been great.

Edited to add: Thanks for posting the link!
  • Options
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It's about freaking time. PSA's current holder has been total crap. PSA: Leading the league in reputation, in dead-last place in the holder dept. Hopefully this new holder will rival Beckett's. If it does, I'd have no problem sending a few cards in for reholdering.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Ill definatly send in some of my valuable cards to be reholdered. Is it only the standard size holder or are tallboy a getting revamped too?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I just had 4000 cards graded....whew. Glad I beat the deadline!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I wonder if the new holder won't obscure the edges of the card like the current ones do. You can hide edge imperfections by tapping the card right up against the edge of inside part of the holder.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    They still have quite a few unused holders, so they will be using those until depleted. It may be a few months before the new holders hit.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    The pictures that Joe showed at the luncheon barely showed any difference at all. You for sure cant tell from a front scan. Again, I don't think there were any other changes to the holder other than the way the two sides are sealed.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the limited pics so far, it seems like they are more like the old USA/Pro slab than the Beckett some seem to be hoping for. An improvement regardless, but I wouldn't expect miracles staying within the current form factor/stacking, etc.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    The holder looks virtually identical from a straight on view; which I'd imagine is how most of us appreciate our cards.

To each his own, but I personally find it idiotic to even contemplate the cracking and resubmitting of thousands of cards just to get new holders (and maybe new grades). That could mean four or five digits in grading fees; I'd rather spend that on a new card-- primarily because I collect cards and not holders (or a set GPA on a website). A less vulnerable holder is great, but I shudder to think of all the money they will make on lemmings who simply have to have the new plastic case.

In other news, I can do 1000 sit ups now without stopping-- and that is while eating a fistful of sand between each rep. Now if you will excuse me, as I have lunch with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons downtown.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear. Looooooooong overdue.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    The Four Seasons? Isn't that a little far uptown?
  • Options
    Halberstram is meeting me there. I'm going to order the squid ceviche; The New Yorker called it a playful little dish.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The OCD in me is gonna have a problem with this, but I'm glad it's happening.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I called customer service today to inquire about these, here is what they told me:

These do stack perfectly with the current holder.
    They will accomodate thicker cards such as patch or relic.
    They are planning to release a special in the coming few weeks, sometime in October.
    As of now, they do fit into the PSA storage cases, however, they are still being perfected and the ultimate design may not end up fitting into the older storage cases.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Some may send in their cards for reholder and get a big...not so nice surprise. NOTE TO PSA: QUIT CHANGING THE FONT ON THE LABELS.image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Now if we could only get a 3 1/2 x 5 sized holder? Talk about long over due....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I will also add if anyone is reading this? Please fix the size of the well so every card isn't moving around inside the holder?
    Its bad and something changed along the way because it never was like this...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658