Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Please help!! My 1952 mantle stolen at the national

Hey all. Unfortunately I too had a 1952 topps mantle stolen at the national. It is a Psa 4. The cert # is 40427314.
It just happened. Please keep eyes and ears open.

Jeff
Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
Card Country
Graded stars 1950's-1980

Comments

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Terrible news. I would assume so, but do you have proof of ownership? Where was it when it was stolen?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Damn Jeff ... I hope they catch these SCUMBAGS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    This makes the second one stolen at the National. It makes me never want to set up as a dealer there.
  • That blows!! Just sucks period. I hope you get it back. I have been to to hundreds of shows over the years and my question is how in the world is this card NOT under lock and key? And when it does come out...it should have undivided attention and locked back up. This question is by no means a knock on Jeff as he is a solid guy and I feel for him but this is the SECOND Mantle to be swipped. Thievery happens at all the shows to some extent but cards like these???? It really sucks.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"Damn Jeff ... I hope they catch these SCUMBAGS!"
    -----
    Might be the same scumbag.

Too bad they don't have video surveillance there. It
    may come to that at some point.

Sorry to hear this news.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If I had cards like that, I would have cameras set up, even if they are not recording. If people just THINK they are being recorded, it will deter them.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the National has been plagued for a long time by such events. my condolences Jeff. hope they nail the thief.
  • BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    At first I thought he was a buyer, thinking he had left it somewhere. It's probably worse that he is a dealer, that someone set out to steal it. Security cameras would probably deter much of this.
    My daughter has a baby cam with the ability to record. Might be perfect for this.
    Best of luck finding the card.
  • It amazes me that people leave thousands upon thousands of dollars of cards unlocked at a show, with no security cameras.

• JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    That stinks. I hope the find it, and the person that took it.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, these shows are a magnet for pickpockets.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty the cert # will be of zero help unless the dirtbag is 100% stupid, more than likely it will be cracked out and sent in for grading along with other cards down the road.

Sorry to hear you got robbed
  • Terrible news, hope you get it back or at least catch whoever did this.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    My God. I'm really sorry Jeff. There was a Mays rookie stolen today too. Unreal.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • So sorry to hear this news today at the show. Everyone was talking about it. My suspicions are it's a team. One stealing while the partner distracts. Security cams are going to be a must. It's a shame it has to come to this.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned to my friend today at the show that I didn't see one security guard roaming the floor the whole time I was there.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    May the thief get an incurable stomach virus and have it come out of both ends, for ever and ever.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like people need to set up there own security camera system. It would require a little cash but it would be well worth it. Sorry to hear about your card.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. It really is disheartening. I assume it was a team of guys- a couple to distract us an one to swipe it out of the showcase. But who knows. I just hope whomever it is gets caught! The one bright spot of all this, however, has been the incredible support that I have received from the cu board members. It was incredible- within a few minutes of my initial post, a whole group of cu guys was at my table making tweets, calling people, going from table to table to alert dealers, and just providing support and encouragement. It was really awesome and greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a scan of the card? If so, please post it. That way if the scumbags crack it and sell it raw or regrade it, we can still look for a matching image.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good idea gem. Time to nail these thieves.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    The scan is already on Beckett's website
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
    Thanks for your help. It's awesome that Beckett posted the article. The card does have a line/scratch/wrinkle at the upper right corner that will hopefully make it distinguishable. I would really love to catch him/them.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    From Beckett's Website:

Edited to add: Jeff, that scratch in the upper blue section of the card and the round "stain" on the left border should help distinguish the card. Best of luck and keep us informed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Thanks Doug. I definitely will. Security is supposed to review surveillance footage tomorrow. I just hope the cameras were pointed at my booth at that time.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Sorry Jeff. I was hit at the 2010 National. It's an absolute nightmare. There's some vile scumbags roaming the room. I sincerely hope these #$%&@# get caught and you recover your card.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really disheartening news. There are csome real lowlife dirtbags out there. I hope security gets a good look at these thieves and the cops make an arrest.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Doug. I definitely will. Security is supposed to review surveillance footage tomorrow. I just hope the cameras were pointed at my booth at that time.

Jeff >>

Good luck with the video. You only need one "good" freeze frame of the face so hopefully they captured one. Also, maybe you can contact the owner of the other stolen Mantle to see what they are doing as far as video surveillance. Easily could be the same person stealing one big card one day, coming back for another the next. Again I wish you the best. Doug
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    jeff im really sorry to hear this happened to you I will keep my eyes open also hope we find the scum or scums...
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    I assume no insurance. I know someone who had one stolen last year and his insurance paid him full value.
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering...is it possible it was stolen after show hours by cleaning staff or others roaming at night? How do you store cards after hours?

I only ask because I've had products stolen at my trade shows (not collectibles) and its almost always after hours. It's not a huge hit in my case since its not worth thousands of dollars...but the point is, it's happened to myself and colleagues after hours.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>and its almost always after hours. >>

Anaheim. major disaster. after all these years, i'd hope internal security has improved enough to warrant leaving the room at night.

if you read back through the thread, you will notice that Jeff mentioned about how a possible "team" of thieves engaged a dealer and distracted him enough to remove an item undetected. it's always the first thing that comes to my mind when i read about these unfortunate events.

this is the most common form of thievery to take place at a show like the National. when we took a crew to a show like this, we made as much effort as possible to switch off having a watchman at the table, NOT dealing with customers, just watching.
  • MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Trying to think outside the box: Remember when you bought an 8-track, CD, or cassette from Sam Goody and they had this bulky security plastic cover that they removed at the register. I wonder if something like that would help at shows if they had a system at the exits that would sound an alarm. Or alternatively, perhaps something simpler is a cover more sturdy that encases the slab but still has a window so the customer can still view the card closely front & back and then the sturdy case has a sturdy loop or connection to add like a laptop combination cable or chain on it so it can be secured to the table or floor or wall or what not. Patent pending, lol!
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry Jeff. I was hit at the 2010 National. It's an absolute nightmare. There's some vile scumbags roaming the room. I sincerely hope these #$%&@# get caught and you recover your card. >>

Didn't someone say they saw Gary roaming the show? Just sayin'
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    as an ex city cop I have several questions and suggestions

are you sure how it occurred? how are you sure? if you're not iron clad sure how it happened, don't discount any possibilities
    go over the day immediately if you have not already done so--sort of a de-briefing to jog your memory
    go over sales to people--it may've been an accomplice of someone who made a purchase
    any suspicions on who--even if remote
    did you notify the police and file a report? if not do so immediately
    when you do file it, get a report # and the name of the detective or squad that will follow up on it.
    If you can get a detective's name and #. follow up with the detective on Monday.
    not as a knock on the cop--but this is a low priority thing in Chicago--
    if the person who took it is gonna get caught it'll be because you were vigilant looking for it
    contact all local card dealers and advise

note that there is a very good chance that the card never left the show floor. It may have been sold.
    see if anyone reported buying a Mantle raw in that grade--it may've been cracked and sold quickly
    needless to say--follow ALL auctions for the next 2 years at least--it'll show up.
    When it does-raw or re-slabbed--you need to contact the cop who is handling it

and by chance if you had insurance--report it quickly
    I don't know this answer, but sometimes there is insurance coverage by the show promoters which will cover some of it

good luck
  • That is terrible. Good luck getting your property back.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Jeff, I was curious to know if there is any updates regarding your Mantle? Again, I am really sorry this happened to you. I feel terrible as the show started out so great for you, and felt like it had to be deflating to see some POS take that card from you.

Thanks Matt. It was deflating and will unfortunately really tarnish an otherwise great show. But I'm going to use it as a learning experience and work to make sure it doesn't happen again. Unfortunately there are no positive updates. Thanks for caring. Sorry I was a bit frazzled after it happened. I still am but am moving ahead!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, like I said to you in person, I'm really sorry that this happened to you. While it definitely hurts, it is good to know you have a bunch of guys watching your back. I'll be sure to pay more attention to others while at next year's show. Us collectors would probably make the greatest security anyway.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • The National has been negative story after negative story the last few years.The last two years the feds were there and this year we have a theft ring.