Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why Does Anyone Bother to Advertise Early Copper in Print?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of these ads in the Num News and other places just don't work - you can distinguish virtually no detail in the photographs, they look like a solid dark brown circle. They should either shoot these with a lot more light, or do something else to lighten up the images before putting them in print. This has been going on for years, you think they would learn. I guess it is their ad money, they can do what they want. Doesn't work for me.

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ad gets your attention. The description makes you want to know more. So you call the dealer and they send you the coin on approval. Voilà!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage also has the ability to make any early copper look like a dark brown disc.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my view the retail trade in the early copper market is controlled by four or five dealers. If you want to buy a really nice piece of early copper you have to go to them or perhaps locate something in a major auction. I obtained every one of the high grade early copper coins that I have in my collection from one of those dealers. Therefore whatever you see in the trade papers that is not from one of those individuals is kind of on the fringe of the early copper market. My perception is that most early copper trades either or a want list basis or at shows, and not via trade publications.

I might also add that this one of the few areas in the U.S. coin market where raw coins rule. Yes, a lot of early copper coins do get certified, but many of them were slabbed so that they could be sold in a major auction, and in more than a few cases the coins get cracked out later. When I was shopping for early copper for my collection, I found obtaining certified coins difficult.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file