Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Fake 1907 $20 Liberty Gold

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a fake $20 Liberty gold dated 1907. The story behind this is the gentleman I purchased this from bought the coin on the streets of Iran about 30 years ago. He asked the vendor if he could assure him that it was in fact gold and the answer was "YES... if it was not gold and I sold it, they (the government) would cut off may arm!" I tested and weighed the coin today. It is 32.2 grams and test positive for gold. Not the "Rgoo" on the reverse... obviously put on the die prior to making these coins. I guess their way of trying not to "counterfeit" US coins.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that is "R900," as in 900 fine.

Edited to add: I did a story in Coinage last year about foreign made gold counterfeits where the maker marked the coins with their fineness so that everybody knew they were getting good gold.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that is "R900," as in 900 fine.

Edited to add: I did a story in Coinage last year about foreign made gold counterfeits where the maker marked the coins with their fineness so that everybody knew they were getting good gold. >>

funny
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy crapola that looks good!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    That is a neat piece. I'd be interested in the result of a XRF analysis.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A simple specific gravity test should be sufficient. The ones I had in my article all had "close enough" s.g. readings.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    There are many examples of middle eastern "fake" coins which were made of the exact same metal content and specifications as original coins. British sovereigns especially, but also even some 1912-1914 Canadian gold pieces. They were used in local trade, presumably on par with original coins as they all contained the same precious metal content.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The purpose of 'counterfeiting' with real gold was basically to inspire confidence in trade, since the American, British, Canadian gold coins were respected. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file