Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Death notice for Lloyd Mincy

Sorry, being a 64 year old computer illiterate I can`t post a link. In today`s Detroit News there was a death notice for Lloyd. The funeral home`s web site said he died Fri July 26 in Dallas.
ANA 1106971 MSNS NBS

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

This cannot be true. Please tell me this is a mistake.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG, it appears to be true.

Link

Very sad, my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG that's horrible news. image
  • Options

It is true.

I am in shock. What a wonderful father and person Lloyd was. I just can't get my head around this. Why?

My deepest condolences to his family and many, many friends. May the LORD comfort Savanna at this difficult time, and hence forth.

“To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”
    Thomas Campbell

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any cause known?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 48! Way, way too young.

• Options
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Total shock. image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    One of my best coin friends...Lloyd was one of the nicest and most fun people I ever knew.

I've been terribly upset over this for the last three days. I will miss my very good pal.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    OMG what a total shock and really sad news! I feel for his family and friends.

The YouTube tribute was very touching and brought this man, whom I never really knew, to life for me.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. He was my very first photography customerimage
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only glad to say I loved him as he was here and I know that's who he was , and is. But that said, I'm so sad even knowing he is now bigger in death than in life. Yet, my faith tells me we will meet again... one day. May the Lord of all bless and comfort those who loved him, too.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My deepest regrets to his family.

Cause of death so young?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of his passing - heard a rumor 2 days ago but hoped it was incorrect. He will be missed. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    The Heritage family is deeply saddened by this tragic and heart-breaking event. Lloyd was a terrific client and good friend to us for many years and will be missed. Our heartfelt condolences go out to Lloyd’s family and to his many friends in the numismatic community. I will make sure his loved ones see this thread and all the kind words written about him.

On behalf of my partners here at HA,

Jim Halperin
    Steve Ivy
    Paul Minshull
    Greg Rohan
    Cristiano Bierrenbach
    Ryan Carroll

Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my. What a terrible loss. I did not realize he was ill.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    What a terrible tragedy...I'm in disbelief. Lloyd was a genuinely wonderful man, father and he deeply loved Savanna and Nicole...I have very fond memories of Lloyd.
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is so shocking. I deeply regret not meeting him as we were practically neighbors.

Awful..............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my sympathies go out to all involved. im sorry to hear that as well.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very sad. Remember seeing pic of his beautiful daughter in his signature line...

He called me few months ago after joining Heritage and recognizing my name from some auction purchases, asked me if I was "Shylock".
    We had the common experience of being invited to Stewart Blay's bank and viewing his coins forum post from 2005, and I wound up consigning a group of coins through him in Heritage's July Sig sale.

My condolences to his family.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I have no words. image
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only knew Lloyd from this forum. We PMed each other a number of times. He was a very positive guy and the impression I got from him was that you just couldn't find anyone more enthusiastic about the hobby than Lloyd.

Reading the obituary, it appears that his parents are still alive and well. I attended a funeral of a friend five years ago. Jon's mother, well into her 80s, made the trip from New York, to bury her son. I don't think there is anything worse that a parent can experience than to bury his / her own child.

My condolences to Lloyd's family.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear this. RIP.

Lloyd was a very knowledgeable collector and important part of these boards.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sweet guy. First met him in 2004. Always gracious, positive and interesting image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I think he became famous for his $50 bet against a $625/ounce gold price - versus the stock market at (?), back in the day...?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I never had the privilege of knowing him, or having dealt with him, only through his posting here. However, to all of you that DID have the privilege of knowing him, and his working with some of you, I especially KNOW you're all saddened by this news. Besides being, obviously, one of the good guys, I'm saddened that those of you that DID know him (as I just lost a buddy, 28, due to a drunken driver going east in the west lane), lost a good friend. And at only 48, even not knowing the man, damn, 48 is just WAY WAY too young for ANYONE. My sincere condolences to those who knew him, and especially to his family. As Joe (twosides....) said, I hope you all get to find/see your friend again, someday. Only 48.......just s*cks, that is just way too young for anyone.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family and friends.

It's shocking to hear of someone pass away at such a young age.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    RIP.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Shocking. I only had the opportunity to meet Lloyd once at a Baltimore show (when he was tooling around with saintguru) but even in that brief meeting I could tell he was a great guy with a big smile who loved people. My sincere condolences to his family and friends, and especially to those of you here who knew him better.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭
    With deepest sympathies...................

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to Lloyd's family and friends.

• Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    That is to young for a fine young man like him to pass.My condolences to his family.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything said. Sad. I enjoyed his posts and viewpoint.
    48 is way too young and I feel for his family

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link to Lloyd's father's Facebook page, which I post here with his permission.

Edited to say that the link didn't work right, but you can go to Facebook and search for the page. Lloyd's father's name is also Lloyd. Won't take you long to find it.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad sad news.
    May he RIP and prayers to his family.
    His large presence will be missed in our small community.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a link to Lloyd's father's Facebook page, which I post here with his permission.

Edited to say that the link didn't work right, but you can go to Facebook and search for the page. Lloyd's father's name is also Lloyd. Won't take you long to find it. >>

Link
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was Lloyd's screen name?

RIP. My condolences to his family and his many friends.image
  • Options

<< <i>What was Lloyd's screen name? >>

LloydMincy
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this. I know that he was a highly regarded numismatist. He will certainly be missed.

RIP, Lloyd image
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. So sorry.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    RIP image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's sad for someone so young and respected to leave us at such a young age. Condolences to his family.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I didn't know him, it's evident from the volume of grief and sympathy that he was an exceptional man.
    My condolances to his many friends here and his family.
    Far too young to pass!!!! And another sobering reminder that life can be so very fleeting and fragile, and that we might do our best to cherish each and every day with gratitude, while doing our best to offer our affections and appreciations ahead of time and not putting off those compliments and thanks because it might be awkward.......

Sorry.... Not preaching here...
    More reminding myself and sharing as I've lost too many close to me recently...
    imageimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Shocked and saddened. image My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file