Home Precious Metals
Options

buried silver bars ?

A customer just asked me how deep he would have to bury some 100 oz silver bars
before a metal detector would find them ?
Then he asked what if he put them in tupperware tubs and put 12" X 12" cement sidewalk slabs
over the top and then buried them...
Could a detector find them ?
Support your local Coin Shop
LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA

Comments

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I first would ask him if he's being professionally treated for his paranoia condition image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Each MD is different, there are video's on YouTube that best show how to properly bury PMs.

The first step is a container. Here is a good example. These tubes are waterproof and stand up to time and the elements. There are a lot of videos, you just need to look around a little.

The second step is where to bury the capsule. One trick of a metal detectorist (Is that a word?) is to look for markers that help people remember where they buried their loot. For example, under an old Oak tree. Oak trees last hundreds of years so back in the days people would bury things near them so they would remember where they were. Old rock walls, corner of a building etc. Basically, close to something/anything is not a good place to bury.

Finally, the depth. The top of the capsule should be at least 36 inches below the surface. This is deep enough that 1) Most metal detectors will not read that deep and 2) most people will not dig that deep.

Finally, a surefire way to ward off a metal detectorist (That word again) is to bury scrap metal on top of your capsule. Once you dig a hole 36 inches or deeper, place your capsule in the hole. Add about 10 inches of dirt and pack it in pretty good. Then you want to put some used tin foil in the hole. Something that you used on turkey or on a camp fire. As you fill in the hole, put a can or two and some pull tab tops. Usually, when a metal detectorist ( image ) finds all this stuff they fill the hole in and move on, especially when they find an old "Camp fire" spot because people usually throw trash into the campfire that include tin cans and pull tabs. (There is a video on YouTube about this).

Best.

• Options
    mrpaseo, great info, thanks a bunch... I will pass that info along :-)
  • Options
    Two more things...

1) Be sure to put some Desiccant Bags or Packets in the container to obsorb the water. The container is waterproof but there will be a little in the air in the tube when you seal it.

2) The downfall of this plan is at least one other person NEEDS to know where the loot is buried. There are stories about family treasures lost because only one person knew where the cache was. Worst case scenario the treasure map can be put into a safety deposit box that is willed to someone only after your death. This way, when you pass, the person that receives the SDB in the will, will know where to go to dig up the cache.

I'm sure there is more, I'll post what comes to mind image

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    A few more things, "Vacume Seal" usually does not hold up over time.

If burying a tube vertically, it would be helpful to bury the tube within another tube so you can take it in and out of the hole easier. Look at this video. It takes the guy some time to dig down to the top of the container and then when he opens it (Still in the ground), you can see dirt fall into the container. If his 3" container was in a 4" container, he could pull out the 3" container and still maintain his hole so he could re-bury. The 4" tube would not need to be waterproof and actually, would not need to be capped off, it would be just to hold up the integrity of the hole.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting !!!
    Thanks guys.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Maybe I should put a small section in the store to sell Post Hole Diggers and PVC Pipe ? :-)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    spray them black and stack them in the garage.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    hmmm, so what happens when the area they've been buried in is covered under 3 feet of water due to a flood maybe? And that may be the reason you're trying to recover them...your house flooded and you need some emergency funds.
    Bury them on higher ground you say. ok, now I know where to look and know to dig deeper if I only find scrap.

I'm not knockin it, do whatever you feel you need to to keep your metals safe and hidden. There's other smarter options than what I've heard so far.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>spray them black and stack them in the garage. >>

yes, next to the rotweiller named jesus image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>spray them black and stack them in the garage. >>

yes, next to the rotweiller named jesus image >>

UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options

I'm not knockin it, do whatever you feel you need to to keep your metals safe and hidden. There's other smarter options than what I've heard so far. >>

Please share...
  • Options

Old used paint cans stored in the basement...

PVC pipe drilled into your basement wall, with a clean out screw cap....

Other ideas ?
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how we dig gold and silver out of the ground, refine them, and then bury them back in the ground.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hey nibanny, that building reminds me of that Will Smith movie from a few years ago, I think it was called I Legend or something like that. image
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I'll let ya know how my buried in acidic areas test works out in two months.

Always thought it was more hassle to protect 1oz coins and bars, and less problems with 10oz extruded bars,
    and much less problem with 100oz bars (less surface area items).
    COA
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>hey nibanny, that building reminds me of that Will Smith movie from a few years ago, I think it was called I Legend or something like that. image >>

It is actually a zombie proof house!
    After watching that movie, my wife and I are always scared when we walk around the Grand Central terminal in NYC! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drive to Montana. Drive 3 more hours. Walk 100 ft from road. Set GPS coordinates. Dig hole. Put metal in hole. Note any drones overhead. Fill hole and brush surface to appear natural. Remember coordinates.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Derry must have read same newsletter that I read many years back. I painted several 100 oz er's and have had them in my trunks of all three vehicles. When is the last time you had your trunk broke open???? Also if you ever break down you have 1000 dollars with you.......

Even had a car stolen and when it was recovered the bars were still intact under the spare....

Tom
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great information mrpaseo..... those of us who cache hunt know this stuff.... to me, it is the most challenging MD area ...and also (potentially - image ) the most rewarding. There are many forgotten or lost caches out there.... but they are challenging, and for most of us, rare. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't brick red, or maybe barn red, be a good color to paint them?

When I was at Berk's we had somebody bring in a 1,000 ounce poured bar that he has painted green and used as a doorstop in his office for years.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty heavy door stop.LOL
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe just put it near the surface. If I'm detecting, I usually bypass the "overload" (large metal) signals. Just throw some large metal objects over them and around the yard, that'll discourage anyone. Then throw some zincolns, bottle caps, and then some pull tabs. Then toss a bunch of nails over them. You want to see a metal detectorist run...do that.
  • Options
    Wouldn't most t hunters' keep digging till there was no signal, I know I
    would.
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't most t hunters' keep digging till there was no signal, I know I
    would. >>

Some will, which is why I suggested the "Old fire pit" look. What happens is the cans melt into little gobs, one can can make a couple globs. After the first few, I just pick up and move elsewhere.

Best.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>It's funny how we dig gold and silver out of the ground, refine them, and then bury them back in the ground.image >>

image I never thought of it that way, but it's very true lol
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wouldn't most t hunters' keep digging till there was no signal, I know I
    would. >>

Some will, which is why I suggested the "Old fire pit" look. What happens is the cans melt into little gobs, one can can make a couple globs. After the first few, I just pick up and move elsewhere.

Best. >>

I can see how that would be discouraging.image
  • Options
    Here is a link that shows how to build the tube and a good way to bury it in another tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCxt4663o8I

Click here

• Options
    mrpaseo: Thanks for all the sound logistical tips. While I'm not personally in a situation to make the most of them, perhaps down the road they'll come in handy. Ya never know.