Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mercury Dime collecting,

Hello everyone,

Contemplating a new journey and that's collecting Merc's. I love the coin, the details in them never cease to amaze me, and it has enough valuable coins, and easy to get coins to keep the interest high. My question is fairly simple. I am just curious to hear what other collectors of the same series think. Is it worth spending the little extra for a FB version? Seems simple, and obvious to me that yes, of course it is. But at the same time, was this FB even struck consistently making the coin I try to get in the very best condition a true representation of that year? For example, I read the 1945-P is RARE in FB because apparently only a handful of them even exist.

Thanks everyone! I'd sure love to hear people's story of their experience collecting this set. I know someone in here is trying to get every dime EVER, hats off to you bro, love looking at your registry!

Thanks everyone!

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jeff,

There are many folks, like DIMEMAN, that think spending the extra money on FB is silly but it is my opinion that I collect the series (varieties primarily for now) because of the love for the design. That design, as originally intended, includes split bands. Those bands were part of the original vision of the designer. I prefer my dimes as originally intended, with split bands. Due to the additional expense I do understand why anyone would choose not to go the route of FB though. Also, there is no reason why you can't go with a mixed set. I would encourage you to take on the additional challenge of the COMPLETE VARIETY set of Mercury Dimes however. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how DEEP your pockets are! image Some of those bands are VERY VERY VERY expensive!

And really those bands have nothing to do with how the design looks. I care more about the hair detail on the obverse than the bands.
  • Options
    FTB - You only scratched the surface with you list of tuffies (expensive). Most all of the 20's D and S mints and the 18 D and S. Also 17-D.

I would MUCH rather have a 67 no bands than a 64FB. But that's me.image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the strength and uniformity of the strike overall, along with the eye appeal of the coin, are far more important attributes than full bands (or full head, full steps, or any other singular characteristic of the coin).

And I think if you focus on these singular grading characteristics that have been hyped in the hobby, you could overlook other flaws a particular coin may have. If you do, that will likely hurt you when it comes time to sell.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    >>>Point is, in 4FB, you're looking at a set that will run you around $100k. <<<

Not sure what your point is here. For the same money you can get a 66 no band set.

On most of the tuffer dates the 64FB and 67 no band are priced about the same.

Just saying.
  • Options
    You are most correct on that. And for me I would rather have the mark free surfaces of a 66/67 no bands than a 64 with bands and the marks and hits that come with that grade.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have fun!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect what you like.... however, if you really focus on a particular type of coin (i.e. Mercury dimes), as time goes on, you will find your tastes migrating to the higher end coins...and upgrading will become a major driver..... enjoy...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A full band set is VERY VERY VERY hard to complete. That is a simple fact!
    I have been collecting them for over 50 years and have a raw and PCGS set.
    If you combine both of them I have one complete set.
    My goal is to complete a MS set mostly FB, but not all.
    I will say this you will meet some of the nicest people collecting Merc dimes.

As some have said a MS64FB set will be both costly and hard to find some of them.

But it is one of the nicest collections along with the Walking half set in MS
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello everyone,

Contemplating a new journey and that's collecting Merc's. I love the coin, the details in them never cease to amaze me, and it has enough valuable coins, and easy to get coins to keep the interest high. My question is fairly simple. I am just curious to hear what other collectors of the same series think. Is it worth spending the little extra for a FB version? Seems simple, and obvious to me that yes, of course it is. But at the same time, was this FB even struck consistently making the coin I try to get in the very best condition a true representation of that year? For example, I read the 1945-P is RARE in FB because apparently only a handful of them even exist.

Thanks everyone! I'd sure love to hear people's story of their experience collecting this set. I know someone in here is trying to get every dime EVER, hats off to you bro, love looking at your registry!

Thanks everyone!

Jeff >>

Good luck on your quest! I think full bands are fine and dandy if a given date tends to come with them, but I don't think paying up for them is getting good value for your money. I appreciate the genuine rarity of a 45-P with bands, but if I chanced on one unrecognized, I'd slab it and sell it for as much as the market would bear, then be quite content with a $5 raw gem of the same date. That's the most extreme example, but no, generally I wouldn't pursue bands-strikes for the prices sellers would ask. YMMV! image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

FB
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for all your encouragement everyone! Right now I'm just plunking away at the easier to get ones in MS65 w/ FB's.

Sharp coins! image Love it!
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you so much for all your encouragement everyone! Right now I'm just plunking away at the easier to get ones in MS65 w/ FB's.

Sharp coins! image Love it! >>

DIMEMAN and I can lend quite a bit of help or advice if you ever want to dive into the varieties of the series! Glad you are having fun with it. Link to your set so far?
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Those are some very nice Mercs shown there - the first 2 display some of the toning patterns/colors I love.

Eric
  • Options
    Sure are some pretty Mercs pictured here!image
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercs can be a challenging set. While many dates can be considered common, there are also a good number of coins that are tough in any uncirculated grade. My goal was to complete a set in MS64 or better, with as many FB pieces as I could reasonably afford. I've been lacking just the 1916-D and 1921-P for quite a few years, as my collecting efforts have been redirected. I still hope to complete the set someday. Good luck with your set.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercs are great to collect.

FB dimes are much easier to sell than higher grade NB mercs. But I would suggest MS-65 FB dimes at a minimum and shift to the 65 NB dimes when price becomes an issue until you can afford the FB version.

Exception are MS-68 no bands dimes which are extremely collectible.

Everyone has their niche but look at the facts. The Heritage auctions, for example show twice the demand for FB vs NB dimes.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Mercs.

The ones I have won't compare with y'all's Registry sets and such, but I've got a sentimental soft spot for 'em nonetheless.

This 1936 Merc was found in my grandmother's silverware drawer when I was setting the table for Thanksgiving dinner, 1976.

It is the coin which launched my numismatic adventure. I was ten and a half years old.

I still have this coin today. It is one of only two pieces that remain from my childhood collection.

If you don't count the coin above, my collection of Mercury dimes now consists of about 64 pieces.

Some of the dates are duplicates. When you collect them the way I do, you don't get to be picky about the dates and mints, or the conditions. You take what you can get.

Collecting by my particular method, it would probably take me another lifetime to complete a date and mint set (or maybe three lives if I'm to have the 1916-D and 1921 coins). But I've still managed to collect a pretty good variety.

And despite the shortcomings of my collecting method, you can't deny the price is right.

I don't even pay face value for 'em! Just a little manual labor...

DIGS O' THE DAY (2007-12-15): THE LONDON STREET COINSHOOTING ADVENTURE

DIGS O' THE DAY (2008-01-27): THE "PAY FOR PLAY" SCHEME, HAGEY HOUSE, AND FIRST SILVER OF 2008

Though I live in a trailer in rural Georgia and drive an old pickup truck, I've never been a huge fan of Country music. (That's more ladymarcovan's thing.) But if any of y'all remember Alan Jackson's "Mercury Blues", where he sings about being "crazy 'bout a Mercury", I used to listen to that a lot when I was out diggin' Mercuries several times a week. And yes, though Alan Jackson was singing about a car, you can apply that line to coins, too. I am indeed "crazy 'bout a Mercury".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Lordmarcovan,

Your just showing off now. J/k. I have watched all your YouTube videos. Almost makes me want to go searching. Almost.

I have a few Mercs because that is the coin my wife likes. I purchases about 25-30 graded ones for her. I have given her only half of them. When she complains about my coin spending habits, I hand her one and say, "I saw this and thought you should have it." It usually saves me until my next purchase. Hopefully she won't find my stash of mercs.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

that's a nice merc. it's dripping with character.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I have a few Mercs because that is the coin my wife likes. I purchases about 25-30 graded ones for her. I have given her only half of them. When she complains about my coin spending habits, I hand her one and say, "I saw this and thought you should have it." It usually saves me until my next purchase. Hopefully she won't find my stash of mercs. >>

Sure wish my ol'gal liked coins . . .

. . . Guess I need to invest in a cashe of shoes ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>I have a few Mercs because that is the coin my wife likes. I purchases about 25-30 graded ones for her. I have given her only half of them. When she complains about my coin spending habits, I hand her one and say, "I saw this and thought you should have it." It usually saves me until my next purchase. Hopefully she won't find my stash of mercs. >>

This makes me smile! image
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your collection and have fun on the hunt! Mercury dimes are classics and the supply of nice ones is getting smaller - I think maybe Keyman64 and Dimeman have cornered the market LOL. I'm working on a Dansco album of nice AU's myself. I figure that at the current pace I will have completed this challenge by 2030 or so, minus the three keys....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file