Home Metal Detecting
Options

July 30, 2013: 3 more coppers! And a colonial shoe buckle? VIDEO FINALLY POSTED

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Video finally loaded! Here it is Video is here

Might just have to give up searching for silver Roosies and stick to this kind of hunting. What an awesome feeling to find these older relics! Got back to the place that yielded 3 Matron head LCs the other day. Just knew there had to be more there since only about 3% of the place had been covered. It started out slow as I was wandering around in an attempt to find any patterns to the finds. Not really, the buttons are just everywhere, which is good. Decided to focus on one end, and hit a King George III coin (maybe 1775?)! Then five minutes later, a large cent - another dateless Matron head! And then another five minutes later, a second large cent. Obverse is toast, but reverse leads me to believe it's a Draped Bust? Also got 10 more buttons - several were tombac, and one with a neat design.

An odd, unexpected piece is what I think is an old shoe buckle. Can anyone confirm? I don't think I'm even going to clean it, just leave it all caked with dirt. Gives it a lot of character.

Not sure when I'll be able to get back, but man what a treat while it lasts!!

Made another attempt at a video. (will post video probably tomorrow after it finishes uploading)

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...awesome finds....and that sure looks like an old shoe buckle, and, I would say, one from someone of higher class due to the engraving. Incredible site you have there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Good grief! You are the man. All of us that either can't go or does not have a good place to go are mighty mighty jealous of you right now.

AND YOU'RE JUST GETTING STARTED ON A FRESH SITE!!!!#$#%^*#%^!#$^@%
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that buckle is an awesome pick up. wtg image
  • Options
    Without divulging your site, what part of the country are you detecting?? Great spot, without a doubt!
  • Options

<< <i>Without divulging your site, what part of the country are you detecting?? Great spot, without a doubt! >>

Thanks everyone and Millennium! I'm up in New England.

Ok, the video is still loading, so here a few pics of yesterday's finds. Also, any idea what that pointy thing is?

• Options
    Video is finally up
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic. The holey large cent does appear to be a Draped Bust.

I'm not so sure that buckle is a shoe buckle. I guess it could be, but it seems a bit wide for that?

No doubt about it being from the colonial and/or 18th century, though. I like the patina on it, just the way it looks as found.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Very good video!.....With all the large cents you found, there almost has to be some silver there....I'd really hunt that place hard. Great finds!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great video - wish I could get my hands on some coins like that. How do you clean that old copper?