Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here ever find an Atheist Cent in circulation?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe it was in the early 1970s and was all over the coin magazines. I remember Coin World had a lot written about it at the time.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember as a kid praying to find one.

Never did though.

peacockcoins

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about this one?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP is talking about the 1970-S cent variety. Never found one, but some people did, as there are circulated ones around. I have one in my personal collection.

Bolivarhagnasty, that is a wonderful coin that any Lincoln cent collector would love to find or own. If it's for sale, please PM me.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RR, I purchased this one here on the forum. Right place, right time. It's now in one of the top Lincoln sets. It is a hard one to locate. Regards
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, 1970-S. There is a cud over In God. I remember, according to the hype, this was supposed to be the next great error coin for the Lincoln series. Living in the East where we didn't see many "S" mint coins, I really didn't have much of a chance of finding one in circulation.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '72 and '73 Lincolns had different forms of obverse cuds obliterating the word 'God'. I may be mistaken but perhaps Lonesome John came up with the term 'Atheist'.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, have to add that to the list of things to check for in my large box of cents....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>I remember as a kid praying to find one. >>

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, 1970-S. There is a cud over In God. I remember, according to the hype, this was supposed to be the next great error coin for the Lincoln series. Living in the East where we didn't see many "S" mint coins, I really didn't have much of a chance of finding one in circulation. >>

i remember that as well ajaan. we just didnt get the s mint coins
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FJ Vollmer of Blomington Indiana was the big market maker in those 1970-S atheist cents.

When the 1972 DDO cents came out, Vollmer dropped the Atheist cents and shifted to market making the 1972 DDO cents.

Mostly done through Coin World.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cent a atheist collector might never consider? image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I think the best coin for an atheist to go for would be the 1907 Indian Head Gold Eagle, with no "God" on the coin. I find it funny that these cents are called "atheist" cents...I know the motto "IGWT," which is thoroughly unconstitutional, has been on American coinage for some time...but are the cents/half cents before then referred to as "atheist cents"? That penny is atheistic in the same way that plumbing a toilet is atheistic...what does "God" have to do with a metal coin or a toilet in the first place?
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A cent a atheist collector might never consider? image

image >>

WOW, where do you find this stuffimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one of these in 1972.....
    I was pumping gas locally, putting in 60 hour weeks. I never made so much ,and I was just a kid.
    Well, anyway, a customer cam in for a dollars worth. Gas was 36 cents at the time. I pumped the dollar and this guy gets out of the car and digs in his pocket for change. He opens a handful of change and starts to fish a dollars worth out. I see this 'athiest' cent on the top of the pile in his hand. I doubt it was the '70 S though,we didn't see too many 's' mints here in the East. So I'm standing there thinking 'Get to the cents man'......Sure enough, he comes up with 95 cents and starts grabbing Lincolns from the mix. I got the coin. I was so happy. I sold it somewhere along the way though, probably enjoyed it for 10 years.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nevermind...
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

owned numerous different ones. never found one at face.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently found a 1984 "Athiest" cent in change. First and only one I have ever found.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddick
    I remember as a kid praying to find one.

Never did though.

Good stuff right thereimage

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old thread .... and I still have not found one.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting error.
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I'm all for getting rid of all allusions to the angry sky monster on us currency.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember that far back, I found one in change in 1989, dated 1989.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file