Home Precious Metals

Anybody hear of a gold con...

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
...where the sucker supposedly bought 94 one-ounce "gold disks" that turned out to be copper disks, and when he went to file a complaint with the police was unable to tell them who he bought the disks from?

A Michigan dealer over on the dealer network heard the story on his local radio while in his car, but has no other details.
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

disks like the ones made to pay oil royalties?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>disks like the ones made to pay oil royalties? >>

I did not say that. And besides, those disks were not one ounce.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...where the sucker supposedly bought 94 one-ounce "gold disks" that turned out to be copper disks, and when he went to file a complaint with the police was unable to tell them who he bought the disks from?

A Michigan dealer over on the dealer network heard the story on his local radio while in his car, but has no other details. >>

Who was this person? I have some magic beans that he may be interested in.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>disks like the ones made to pay oil royalties? >>

I did not say that. And besides, those disks were not one ounce. >>

They also made a $20 sized disk that was supposed to be 490 grains and 91.7 % fine gold. I've never seen either size personally

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not heard that story... would think it would have received a bit more attention.... Cheers, RickO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The story sounds fishy to me. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough tobuy a bunch of discs that are claimed to be gold without first getting them tested or assayed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the person should have copied down the radio station and called to see where the sources came from. fwiw
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I don't think he got any of these:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson