Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG- PCGS restoration sucess please don't cheat!

raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
Enclosed are a couple of photos. The single obverse and reverse photos are the one's I used to purchase the coin. I requested Secure Plus, QS True view, cross-over service and the restoration service. They didn't restore the other coin on the submission. BUT, they did restore this coin. Very UGLY looking coin. Please, no cheating. Guess the old and new grades. I feel this is a real success story. Need to send in some of the uglier coins to see what happens to them.
I WILL tell you that they will NOT remove the original toning, which also includes what we might call distracting. Taking those spots off has in the past brought some handsome grade changes. What all you say, worth it or not?
This coin is now a Pop-top 2/0 for the series.

[URL=http://s243.photobucket.com/user/raycyca_2007/media/1964DDR801Obv2.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s243.photobucket.com/user/raycyca_2007/media/1964DDR801Rev2.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s243.photobucket.com/user/raycyca_2007/media/1964MSKennedyTrueview1.jpg.html]image[/URL]
You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    64 or 65 would be my guess
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unless it is a variety it probably isn't worth the cost.

i don't know the condition census for these but i imagine it is high as i've seen lots of nice ones and this doesn't look like a high-grade, no offense intended image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Matt
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Gotta be a variety! MS65?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    The coin is a DDR 801 Variety.

The restoration looks very nice.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    The coin is a DDR 801 Variety.

Coin Facts info:

Ron Guth: The 1964 Doubled Die Reverse Half Dollar (FS-801) is a subtle variety, which may account for its scarcity, and it is the most desirable of a number of DDRs from this year.  The doubling is seen best on most of the letters in STATES and in several of the stars on the upper arc of the outer ring.  Currently, very few examples have been certified, of which even fewer are Mint State.  Any 1964 DDR FS-801 Half Dollar is a significant rarity.

I cheated and saw the grade, but this is now the top pop for the variety.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why anybody would want that restored unless it was SMS... so....

SMS67? >>

It could be a die variety. There are some DDOs and I think a DDR or two for 1964 halves.

The present coin looks no less than 65, and the restoration job was terrific image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin is a DDR 801 Variety.

Coin Facts info:

Ron Guth: The 1964 Doubled Die Reverse Half Dollar (FS-801) is a subtle variety, which may account for its scarcity, and it is the most desirable of a number of DDRs from this year.  The doubling is seen best on most of the letters in STATES and in several of the stars on the upper arc of the outer ring.  Currently, very few examples have been certified, of which even fewer are Mint State.  Any 1964 DDR FS-801 Half Dollar is a significant rarity.

I cheated and saw the grade, but this is now the top pop for the variety. >>

I cheated too as I was pretty sure Ray wouldn't be just grading a run of the mill coin.image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they did a good job on the restoration.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how much is this variety worth? I hope a bunch since it had to cost a few bucks for that service on what would appear to be a common coin to most, including me.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tihnk i see some seperation on the star below the E, hard to tell. Congrats though, coin looks MUCH better!

They would not restore my "Ultra Rarity" 1946-S 10C Sans Serif MM FS-504 (Regular Strike) which is currently the Coin Facts specimen coin. Perhaps value is their indicator of rarity vice actual number of known/graded coins rarity image

Link to Coin Facts
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since restoration is dipping the rule has always been don't dip circulated coins may of been their reason for no restoring your dime.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66 DDO or is it a TDO But it is one.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why anybody would want that restored unless it was SMS... so....

SMS67? >>

1964 SMS? Must be worth a fortune!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Looks like a solid 65 to me.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66...
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>I cheated and saw the grade, but this is now the top pop for the variety. >>

I think it only ties the top pop graded and attributed by PCGS so far. There is a MS66 graded by PCGS out there, just not attributed by them (the collector knows what he has but doesn't what to pay the attribution fee PLUS the reholdering PLUS the application fee PLUS the high return postage fee) image

The first MS65 1964 DDO-001 (FS-801) graded and attributed by PCGS is in the set linked below.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...".restoration " is the new politically correct term for "dipped" or "cleaned"?
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. More than I thought got the grade of MS 65 correct. Maybe you should also collect hairy heads? LOL
    1. As far as an SMS,. YES, they DID make 1964 SMS Kennedys, But the cheapest is a 5 digit coin.
    2. It IS the variety, therefore, in at least my eyes, well worth it. With all the costs, I have less than $100 in this coin.
    3. Thanks for the info Nickcap! I don't have/use Coinfacts so that's very helpful. Also shows others it's not "common".
    4. Thanks LindeDad! NIce comment. A great many coins aren't run of the mill. I got rid of my lowest graded coin, a PO-0. That's the ex-wife. Kept getting rejected no matter where I tried to use her, no one wanted her. Cut my losses and my average grade has gone WAY up!! image)
    5. Variety/coin value is hard to set. When I made a couple of regular Pop 1 Kennedys, Jamie from PCGS called me to place a price on the coins. Don't know if I should contact him after talking to a couple other error Kennedy Collectors and try to establish some values. This one will be over $100, since this thread, I've had two offers, thanks folks. That WASN'T the purpose of this thread.
    6. Thanks Caleb. You are VERY correct!!! There are many unattributed coins not by PCGS, by known by the owner. I have a 1965 SMS DDR-801, 1968-S DDO-FS-101 cameo, 1970-s DDO FS-101 in PR 68 DC, and, last but not least, a 1967 SMS QDO FS-101 in SP 67 Pop-1 ( AND) a 1967 QDO-FS-101 in PR 67 DC. The ONLY PCGS attributed coin is the 1967 QDO-FS-101 SP 67, Pop-1. I have no need to slab the other coins right now. Perhaps in another year or so.
    7. The purpose of this exercise is not to earn a pat on the back, not for myself anyway. This coin started in another companies' holder as an MS 64. Pretty ugly, huh? NOW, since PCGS has "restored" the coin, it has even UPGRADED to an MS 65. First time I've had a cross over earn a promotion, also gives me hope for some of my other potential cross overs, for grades and attributions. Now the coin looks nice in the photo at least, should be here Saturday, want to see the new and improved coin! Now we don't have to go to NCS, or crack it out, dip and hope the grading gurus will smile upon us. The photo looks like many MS 66's I've seen in photos, even better than several.

BOTTOM LINE- WHEN IN DOUBT, SEND IT OUT AND LET THEM CRACK/DIP IT OUT!! GLAD I DID. THANKS PCGS!!! I also love their Secure Plus service. When 1st introduced, had free submissions. Increased several coins. 1st place, 1976-P clad MS 66 went to MS 67+, also my 1965 went from MS 66 to MS 67. Secure Plus and Restoration services for me. Whom needs a bean? Good luck all! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice...looks much better.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    DDO? Looks like ordinary strike doubling to me. image
    Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file