Home Metal Detecting

July 27, 2013 - 16 buttons and 3 Large Cents including one with counterstamp! VIDEO ADDED in 1st pos

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got out today to a new spot. It's actually a field in close proximity to the place that yielded the 1819 half real last year. Secured permission from the owner and I was off! Within 10 minutes a tombac button revealed itself! Within an hour or so, this place yielded 6 or so buttons. Not too bad, but where are the coins?? Whelp, they didn't come until a little later, but they showed up! Some newer stuff did come, but that's not posted. Right after getting another button, about 5 feel past, a good, deeper coin signal popped up. Must've been about 6 or so inches down, but I could see what looked like a slightly oval copper disc? Since it was mostly round I assumed it was a large cent! Put it away and kept going. About 5 minutes later another deeper coin signal revealed itself!! YES, another large cent. Got it on video, but probably no need to post it. After several buttons later, and nearing the end of the hunt, a third large cent popped out! Ended with 16 buttons, a one day record, and 3 coppers ties my one day best.

One of the buttons had the center part pop out, so be sure to look at those "washers" more closely, as it could be a button where the center popped out. See some of the pics below. After cleaning, all three largies look to be Matron heads, no dates readable yet. BUT, the oval one turns out to be counterstamped! That's a first for me. Any idea what it is? Almost looks like a DNILES? Or just NILES.

This charges up the detecting motivation. You bet I'll be back this week. This field is HUGE, and owner said to come back any time. Gave the owner the cross in the pic below. He also got a Walmart gift card as a token of my appreciation.

HH all!

Alright, adding video of the last two large cents. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's better than nothing. Video Here
And an out-of-focus pic of one of the buttons:

WASHER?
NOPE, button!

Comments

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice touch with the gift card and cross image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That counterstamp is way cool. I think that is the sort of thing the Albert button book would describe as "rmdc", for "raised mark (in) depressed channel".

Very, VERY neat.

I almost wanna go swing the coil with YOU instead of flying over to England.

Almost. image

Since this Olde England trip might be my only chance overseas, I'll have to consider a New England visit sometime.

But, as Millennium recently demonstrated, there are plenty of goodies in the dirt right here in our Golden Isles.

My finds would improve considerably if I simply got out more often here.

WTG, pcgs69. That's some awesome stuff. Gotten any Capped Bust or (*gasp* Draped Bust) silver yet?

You're gonna find a Chain cent one of these days. I can feel it comin'.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Dayum! WTG! One of your best days in a while!.......Man o man..I know you are chomping at the bit to get back out there too! I am stoked for you!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible day.....that site has a lot more to offer....good luck.. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love the looks of that cross image nice scores
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! It's too bad every site isn't like this.

<< <i>That counterstamp is way cool. I think that is the sort of thing the Albert button book would describe as "rmdc", for "raised mark (in) depressed channel".

Very, VERY neat.

I almost wanna go swing the coil with YOU instead of flying over to England.

Almost. image

Since this Olde England trip might be my only chance overseas, I'll have to consider a New England visit sometime.

But, as Millennium recently demonstrated, there are plenty of goodies in the dirt right here in our Golden Isles.

My finds would improve considerably if I simply got out more often here.

WTG, pcgs69. That's some awesome stuff. Gotten any Capped Bust or (*gasp* Draped Bust) silver yet?

You're gonna find a Chain cent one of these days. I can feel it comin'. >>

Thanks LordM!! If you're ever up here in the boonies of New England, we can certainly find a spot to swing our coils. But certainly don't pass up on hammered silver to come up here in November, haha. First, it's cold up here, and second, we will all be drooling when you come home with your England finds. I hear they find "scrappies" (worn ancient roman coins) like we find wheat cents. That should be a real treat for you.

Is the GA weather forgiving enough for your right now to get some more detecting in? As you said, Millennium is ripping it up out there, so you guys have some nice areas to check out as well.

No draped bust silver, but I have gotten two capped bust - 1821 dime and 1836 half dime. The half dime was ok, but nowhere near the quality as Millennium's piece.

Would certainly love a chain cent, but a measly ol' Liberty cap would suffice.

------

<< <i>Dayum! WTG! One of your best days in a while!.......Man o man..I know you are chomping at the bit to get back out there too! I am stoked for you! >>

Thanks Millennium!! Things have been slow for the past month or so, so this was needed to keep the motivation high!

Uploading the video now of the second two large cents. Nothing too exciting, but better than nothing. It'll be ready in 244 minutes!
    video added
  • Ouch! You're killin me! I went to watch the video, but you have it marked as private....image

<< <i>Ouch! You're killin me! I went to watch the video, but you have it marked as private....image >>

Oops, try now!