Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another bogus 01-S Quarter on the bay? NGC AU58 this time - I doubt it -

SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
Looks like another bogus 01-S Quarter to me - Whatever the public says I am curious:

Link to 1901-S NGC 58

NGC Cert Verify

Price is within a couple hundred of NGC Price guide .. Hey no returns and a very unprofessional write up ..

Also, he says he had the coin for 33 years .. I say not in that holder he didn't ... image
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that's supposed to be the image of that AU58 coin; I think it's photo of what a 1901-S quarter looks like.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Yes -You are right and I edited the link to the verification lookup - thank you Dennis
    imageimage
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like it may be legit?

other nice items avail.

sold some prosthetic eyes

can't be all bad huh?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks ok to me. If anybody can prove different,it will be the first NGC counterfeit slab I've seen. If anyone knows of one, please provide link, as I have been actively looking. Thanks BruceS

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks ok to me. If anybody can prove different,it will be the first NGC counterfeit slab I've seen. If anyone knows of one, please provide link, as I have been actively looking. Thanks BruceS >>

i've seen quite a few. they are out there. been several posted on this forum too.

should be a few in my thread

i have many more to add. just need to update.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill bet this was legit, and somebody got a hell of a deal at 34k
  • Options
    Bad link? Im sure they are out there, but they seem to be more scarce than our hosts slabs. Am Iam sure they will respond "because PCGS demand more $". Thanks for sharing.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

<< <i>Bad link? >>

i accidentally cut off the last digit for the link. fixed now.

• Options
    Best offer accepted so < $34k .. I agree Jim - hell of a deal . .. Too good to be true IMO .. Just smells fishy although I don't know why . My gut just says something is rotten in Denmark
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would like to know if it does turn out to be legit, who's the forum member who bought it, and if vern or walt or other, are they going to be selling their other one????

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin which sold, is Obverse A... However, the shape of the S Mint Mark is wrong.
    It's much too elongated. Otherwise, it's a darn good fake. Just yesterday I mentioned ( ATS )
    that I hadn't seen any fake coins in NGC slabs...

The coin sold at below the original ask price... Too bad we didn't catch it before it sold.
    A word to the wise, the seller should be blocked by eBay if he's pulling that crap. No Refunds
    is a red flag... I feel sorry for the poor soul who thought they got a great coin on the cheap !
    No free lunches in Numismatics !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>should be a few in my thread >>

added pics of 2 ngc counterfeit slabs.

another one in this thread

• Options
    The NGCs price guide shows it at $34K. So I don't understand why it's "to good to be true". It's right in line as to actual value. And someone that is spending that kind of money is surely educated enough to spot a fake. I myself don't know enough about this series to venture an opinion.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • Options
    Mike,

I pulled up the original listing and did notice the mintmark seemed a bit not right: you could be on to something.

I emailed the guy and told him if he had a legit sale, he let it go to cheap. I told him I would pay 40k for it if legit and would go down and get it. see what happens

jim
  • Options

<< <i>The NGCs price guide shows it at $34K. So I don't understand why it's "to good to be true". It's right in line as to actual value. And someone that is spending that kind of money is surely educated enough to spot a fake. I myself don't know enough about this series to venture an opinion. >>

It's too good to be true because you don't understand the actual value of the date,
    primarily because its not your series. And take my word for it, the OBV of this fake
    would easily fool more seasoned professional graders than I. It's a dead match for
    Obverse A. The mint mark gave it away. High end fakes are extremely difficult to pass.
    Most fake 01-S's are lower in grade and the details more worn away. Not all collectors who
    are able to spend that sort of money are educated enough to spot a fake.

If the coin were 100% legit, as Jim Dimmick mentioned, an offer of $40,000 from a dealer
    is perfectly in line. I spotted one of the nicest 01-S's in PCGS 55 at Pittsburgh a while back
    and offered the guy $50K which he promptly turned down.

These are troubling times where a great looking fake coin can be in a great looking fake holder.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were selling a key date, I certainly would have professional images, just saying. You have to try hard to produce those images.
    What's up with the copy n paste essay? No returns either, good luck to the buyer.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The listing itself would have made me not even consider buying. Any time I see a screenful of crap in the description and almost nothing about the coin itself, combined with crappy photos and no return policy, I hit the back button and move on.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    NO returns on a highly coveted date? RED FLAG.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The listing itself would have made me not even consider buying. Any time I see a screenful of crap in the description and almost nothing about the coin itself, combined with crappy photos and no return policy, I hit the back button and move on. >>

image Description was ridiculously long. Wouldn't have been tempted at all.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Guy emailed me back and said he was not aware of how much the price went up on these and that they sold for more than the price guide, he was looking for a quick sale due to a divorce. Said the buyer paid immeadiately and is coming to pick it up locally.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The listing itself would have made me not even consider buying. Any time I see a screenful of crap in the description and almost nothing about the coin itself, combined with crappy photos and no return policy, I hit the back button and move on. >>

Ebay over-encourages sellers to list as much information as possible about items, so that in itself should not make someone "not even consider" buying. It may indicate a possible bargain from a seller not having an expert coin background.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to know if it does turn out to be legit, who's the forum member who bought it, and if vern or walt or other, are they going to be selling their other one???? >>

I purchased the item. I do believe that the coin is in fact real. I have also verified the sellers identity and they are a well respected professional in their field.
  • Options
    It will likely be kept. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It will likely be kept. image >>

Sell it when you retire for a nice profit, eh? Haha, make sure you also give us some real high quality photos of it. Professional quality. >>

oh my yes. that would be appreciated. and congratz on your wonderful purchase. image

• Options
    Based on the e-mail I got back and looking at the coin again, I do still believe the buyer (zas107) got a deal, congrats, took some nerve, but I believe you will come out a winner on this deal
  • Options
    Thanks! image
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zas - hope you are able to post good pics when you have this coin in hand. You may have made the buy of the decade.

JimD - PM sent.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zas, Congrats on your purchase! Agree with Vern, it would be a real treat to see some quality pix. Lots of up and down talk about that coin, but I'm really hoping its special.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options

<< <i>Based on the e-mail I got back and looking at the coin again, I do still believe the buyer (zas107) got a deal, congrats, took some nerve, but I believe you will come out a winner on this deal >>

I am thrilled for the buyer - and I had not seen the coin before it actually sold.
    As Paesan mentioned, we all would like to see the images and I apologize to the
    buyer if the OP put the fear of God into him.

As I mentioned earlier, I had not seen another fake NGC slab with a counterfeit coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

The original post wasn't to put the fear of God into anyone - It was suspicion of potential trouble based on a writeup that appeared to come from a kid. Since another confirmed fake was on eBay only days earlier, it seemed rather coincidental ... The purpose was to seek opinions from resident experts.. And clearly others had their suspicions .. I am very happy to see all is well that ends well and this will ultimately be confirmed in due time .. Congrats and good luck to the new owner!

<< <i> However, the shape of the S Mint Mark is wrong. It's much too elongated. Otherwise, it's a darn good fake. Just yesterday I mentioned ( ATS ) that I hadn't seen any fake coins in NGC slabs... The coin sold at below the original ask price... Too bad we didn't catch it before it sold. A word to the wise, the seller should be blocked by eBay if he's pulling that crap. No Refunds is a red flag... I feel sorry for the poor soul who thought they got a great coin on the cheap ! No free lunches in Numismatics !! >>

Heck some even said the mint mark was all wrong to which other(s) agreed ... When the post was written it wasn't sold yet so it could have helped prevent an issue had it turned out to be no good.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would take LARGE B*LLS to pull the trigger on this one. Bigger than mine. I like the coin, but I must say, the listing is a bit comical.

But I do like the look of the surfaces of this 01-s.

Hope all works out for the buyer....looks like he got a very good deal. You don't get many opportunities at AU 1901-s quarters.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that's it. How 'bout them Dolphins?
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    I picked up the coin earlier today. I will post photos in a few days or less.
  • Options
    Man were all excited in seeing it!!!!!
  • Options
    popcorn we need popcorn!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tasty burger. One of the best movies ever.

Look forward to the pics.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up the coin earlier today. I will post photos in a few days or less. >>

or more? image

• Options
    I don't think that guy comes here anymore.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think that guy comes here anymore. >>

the buyer = Last Visited On: March 27th, 2014 7:52 PM

• Options
    I bet it was fake and he doesn't want to tell us.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I say full disclosure is do...but who the heck am I image

Erik
  • Options

<< <i>...I say full disclosure is do...but who the heck am I image

Erik >>

do you mean due? the context really throoo my mind for a loop with "do."

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...I say full disclosure is do...but who the heck am I image

Erik >>

do you mean due? the context really throoo my mind for a loop with "do."
    . >>

...what it do son? Just like we say in Oakland image

lol, you got me,
    Erik
  • Options
    Yeah, what they he11 ever came of this coin?

Now a year later, at least I am happy to be an owner of a PCGS 53. This is a date in which I always wanted to own a nice one. I remember seeing a xf-45 for sale at DLRC for 7500 years ago. If it would have been 500 bucks I couldn't have bought it then.
  • Options

<< <i>I bet it was fake and he doesn't want to tell us. >>

It was absolutely genuine. image
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bet it was fake and he doesn't want to tell us. >>

It was absolutely genuine. image >>

....and Tuesday August 06, 2013 4:52 PM

"I picked up the coin earlier today. I will post photos in a few days or less."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file