Home U.S. Coin Forum

best way to sell old coin books ?

I have several coin books I purchased back in the 80's that I am thinking about selling. is ebay the best way to sell ? and is there any interest in auction books from the 80's ?

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BST? ...try that first.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I have some older Redbooks that I will probably bundle and put them in our local coin clubs auction. Start at $1 and get whatever.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Do you have coin books or auction catalogs?

There is an active market in older numismatic books and auction catalogs. I see older RedBooks offered on eBay all the time, but I don't know if they ever sell.

There are several dealers who maintain inventories of older auction catalogs (such as Carl Moulton and others) who conduct numismatic book auctions (such as Kolbe & Fanning, Fred Lake and others).

You might first do some research to see recent selling prices of what you have.

Then you can decide whether to offer what you have to a dealer, list it on the BST or eBay or consign to an auction.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give them away... there are those who would appreciate the books and cannot afford to buy them.... Cheers, RickO
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    List a few of what you have and we can make recommendations. There's an active market in a lot of books, but not all. Rare and valuable?... use auction prices from Kolbe & Fanning, David Sklow, Charlie Davis, etc. list on BST or send to auction. Specialty auction cats, maybe BST or eBay. Common auction catalogs like 60's-80's Stacks, the big dealers throw away unless they are a specialized collection. Non-special Redbooks, etc. are fairly dead right now.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I,m still holding on to my 1952 redbook...for price checks image
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are buying (and paying strong prices on) certain out of print books such as the Early U. S. Dimes book, Federal Half Dimes, and The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dollars.

PM me if you have any of those for sale.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    some of the books are : The United States Trade Dollar , Early American Coppers Anthology, United States Large Cents 1793-1857, Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836 ( fourth edition ), The United States Half Dimes , Early United States Dimes 1796-1837, Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U. S. and Colonial Coins and more .

if these are not worth selling I might take Ricko's advice and give them to my local library .
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Early United States Dimes 1796-1837,

This book goes for $300+
    Copies for $320 and $425 on amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001AQI6FE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Many collectors here would love to have a copy - there are not enough to go around, so the price stays high!
    Selling on ebay should be good - be sure to let us know if you do this. I'll bid for sure.

Breen's Encyclopedia goes for $115+:
    http://www.amazon.com/Walter-Breens-Complete-Encyclopedia-Colonial/dp/0385142072/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374959175&sr=1-1&keywords=breen%27s+encyclopedia
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I paid around seventy dollars for my Overton book.

BST and postal media mail seem like a way to start on those. Look around on the Amazon link above to get offer prices.
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>some of the books are : The United States Trade Dollar , Early American Coppers Anthology, United States Large Cents 1793-1857, Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836 ( fourth edition ), The United States Half Dimes , Early United States Dimes 1796-1837, Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U. S. and Colonial Coins and more .

if these are not worth selling I might take Ricko's advice and give them to my local library . >>

Which half dime book? Is it the JRCS edition (1998), or Valentine? The half dollar book is likely the third edition, since that was published in 1990. The fourth edition was done in 2005 (I think).

What are your catalog titles? The 1987 Frederick Taylor catalog (Bowers & Merena) is quite valuable.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    As you've probably gathered by now, the books you've listed are definitely worth selling!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago, before the current slowdown, I called Lake about consigning a mostly complete set of Henry Christensen catalogs and other "better" world catalogs. For those who don't know, Christensen was a world coin auction house and dealer from the late 1950s to the mid 1980s and had many good collections over those years. Anyway, Lake was backlogged over a year, so no interest in the consignment.

On another occasion, I inquired with Sklow about consigning some better world coin books. The sellers commission was as high as the buyers commission. Non-starter there too.

On still another occasion, I inquired with Kolbe about consigning some volumes of Medina (several hundred dollars each). No particular interest. Wishy-washy response. Forget it.

I have decided that numimatic booksellers are not a good way to dispose of duplicates. A complete library, perhaps. So now I retail my dups to my customers and wholesale them to dealer friends who have an interest.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>List a few of what you have and we can make recommendations. There's an active market in a lot of books, but not all. Rare and valuable?... use auction prices from Kolbe & Fanning, David Sklow, Charlie Davis, etc. list on BST or send to auction. Specialty auction cats, maybe BST or eBay. Common auction catalogs like 60's-80's Stacks, the big dealers throw away unless they are a specialized collection. Non-special Redbooks, etc. are fairly dead right now. >>

Ever wonder why most numismatic booksellers don't have websites with their older catalogs and prices realized?

I asked a large numismatic book auction house this very question once and got an evasive answer, but something along these lines: "Because we don't want to give away free information. We are in the business of SELLING information, not giving it."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file