Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

123 Year Old Bet Costs £63,440

Some of you might have already read about it, in the Coinsweekly online magazine.

A collection of 2,794 mint state Victorian Farthings, all dated 1890, and the same type, young head left, rev. Britannia seated, lighthouse to left (BMC [Peck] 191 [S]; S 3958; Freeman 562). Generally all glorious mint state with full lustre, though some with spotting and minor imperfections were auctioned at Woolley & Wallis Salisbury Salerooms on 16th July.

The family story behind this extraordinary cache is that in 1890 a member of the Alington family from Crichel House, Dorset, had a £5 bet with a friend as to which of two raindrops would reach the bottom of a window pane first. The friend, less than pleased at being the loser, honoured the debt by paying in brand new farthings. The coins were wrapped in tissue paper at the time of issue and the ones now offered, which represent £2 - 18s - 1 1/2d are what remain of the original payment.

The farthing was last issued in 1956 and went out of circulation in 1960.

In line with the vendors request that the lot be sold, a conservative estimate of £14,000 - £18,000 ensured considerable interest from private and trade buyers. This rare collection finally sold for £63,440 (including buyers premium) to Knightsbridge Coins, St. James, London, on behalf of a client.
Mr Fenton of Knightsbridge Coins commented ‘it is incredible to find such a large group of these coins and in such good condition.’

imageimage

A fully illustrated catalogue is available online.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    So ... I wonder how many inquiries Knightsbridge Coins will receive regarding individual coins, lots, etc.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    So, you are encouraging gambling? image

I'm a poker man myself, but you'll never see me throw real coins onto the pot.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of you might have already read about it, in the Coinsweekly online magazine.

A collection of 2,794 mint state Victorian Farthings, all dated 1890, and the same type, young head left, rev. Britannia seated, lighthouse to left (BMC [Peck] 191 [S]; S 3958; Freeman 562). Generally all glorious mint state with full lustre, though some with spotting and minor imperfections were auctioned at Woolley & Wallis Salisbury Salerooms on 16th July. >>

I get 2790......is my math bad? Anyway, $35 per coin, eh.

<< <i>The family story behind this extraordinary cache is that in 1890 a member of the Alington family from Crichel House, Dorset, had a £5 bet with a friend as to which of two raindrops would reach the bottom of a window pane first. The friend, less than pleased at being the loser, honoured the debt by paying in brand new farthings. The coins were wrapped in tissue paper at the time of issue and the ones now offered, which represent £2 - 18s - 1 1/2d are what remain of the original payment. >>

So, who was the spendthrift in the Alington family? image

<< <i>In line with the vendors request that the lot be sold, a conservative estimate of £14,000 - £18,000 ensured considerable interest from private and trade buyers. This rare collection finally sold for £63,440 (including buyers premium) to Knightsbridge Coins, St. James, London, on behalf of a client. >>

Oh yeah, Wybrit can get an easy upgrade now. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Nice!

3x estimate!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool story...and what a funny bet

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Even if they read the story, the descendants of the "friend" probably have no idea it was their relative who once held the coins.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE