Options

Is this a 1799 Large Cent?

If so someone just got a great deal.

Link

Comments

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the last 9 looks right.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the last 9 looks right. >>

Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibly 1798?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is 100% not the s-189

it is 100% not the s-188

it is 100% not the nc-1

only 3 known possibilities for 1799

either a 1798 or counterfeit and after looking at a few 98s, fake is a possibility

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    it is 100% not the s-189

it is 100% not the s-188

it is 100% not the nc-1

only 3 known possibilities for 1799

either a 1798 or counterfeit and after looking at a few 98s, fake is a possibility
    . >>

If a deal seems to good to be true...probably is.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    It's only "too good to be true" because it wasn't bid up.
    If not for the expert(s) above I'd have agreed it is an authentic 1799.

peacockcoins

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I skewed the saturation to expose more detail, looks like the corrosion has slightly altered the last date digit. Judge for yourself.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    just so you can see exactly how i determined

in this scenario, the first 9 is the key to disproving the 1799

the date orientation of the OP coin also makes proving/disproving the 1798 just about as easy.

very long day tomorrow, a good thing, otherwise i'd prove/disprove the 1798/authenticity part.

i'm sure others here are more than equal to the task image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides the date analysis already provided, I think all gennie 1799's have the
    forelock hair bump beyond the base of the 'T', to the right of it. This one looks to be too far left (at least from what I can discern
    from the photos of this corroded piece).

I recall some years ago informing the auctioneer at a small country auction that I believed the rough, low grade 1799 cent being offered
    in the current sale was a fake.
    He the informed the audience beforehand that the coin was of questionable authenticity. And it still went for $1100. Several months later
    I found out the coin was sent to ANACS and deemed a fake. People just love getting a 'deal'!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a 98

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a way $515.51 is not that big of a "bargain." At a recent Baltimore show I saw a crusty piece that was definitely a genuine 1799 cent, with the diagnostic mark on the reverse, trade for $1,650 between a cherry picker (a guy who goes around the floor looking for dealer errors and omissions) a bourse dealer. I could have the item for a modest advance above that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    $515 is a lot less than $1600. I honestly do not think it is possible to buy an authentic one of those for less than $1500 for even the worst example. Even then it would take a while to find one. That is a TOUGH coin.
  • Options
    Generally speaking, that's correct, this one being an exception - cost me $one grand even, in a private treaty sale. I also acquired a '93 Lib Cap, both thick and thin planchet '95's, a choice VF 39/6, a VF30 15 stars 1817, and a few other nice morsels in that sale ~3 yrs ago.

Yes it's worn and damaged, but it's not corroded, and five different EAC guys told me it was genny.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Congrats. That's a great deal. image Worth twice that easily.
  • Options
    after a good nights sleep, i looked back over my images and started feeling a little insecure about my decision, so i did this to further emphasize & confim.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Generally speaking, that's correct, this one being an exception - cost me $one grand even, in a private treaty sale. I also acquired a '93 Lib Cap, both thick and thin planchet '95's, a choice VF 39/6, a VF30 15 stars 1817, and a few other nice morsels in that sale ~3 yrs ago.

Yes it's worn and damaged, but it's not corroded, and five different EAC guys told me it was genny.

This is a 1799 large cent

• Options

Nope, but it sure fooled a lot of people.
    Tom Reynolds uncovered it as a very good alteration.
    The original seller also then had Bob Grellman (I think - since they are good acquaintances) further confirm it,
    and then refunded my $ - at least 4 years after the sale!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file