Home Metal Detecting
Options

First outing with my own machine

I wound up buying a slightly used Tesoro Cibola and got out with it on Sunday for the first time. Hunted for 30 minutes at a nearby tot lot and got 2 zinc Lincolns and a whole soda can image. I picked the tot lot because it was close and all of them in my area have a couple of inches of mulch on top of soil, so it makes digging pretty easy. The can was intact and down farther than I would have thought, about 4 inches. I'm guessing someone buried it on purpose, even though there is a trash can not 10 feet away. After 30 minutes, I had swept all the areas pretty well and the mosquitoes were getting viscous so I packed up and headed home.

This tot lot I went to is used infrequently, so I hope to soon hit another one nearby that is busier. When I rented the Whites detector about a month ago, the busier tot lot yielded a couple of Zincolns and a quarter, so I'm hoping for more clad (or better) on my next visit with the Cibola.

No pinpointer yet, but I have one on order and hope to get it in a few days.

I guess the detecting bug has fully bitten! image

Comments

• Options
    You have definitely got the metal detecting virus....it'll be with you forever.......congrats!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great... and this is just the beginning.... you are now officially afflicted with a fascinating hobby... welcome to the club. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love getting out in the fall best ( it seems i have best luck at that time ). happy hunting now that your hooked image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope to see more from you soon, Phil!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I went to the second tot lot yesterday morning. Got $.052 in clad, including 6 Zincolns, 1 copper Lincoln, 2 Roosies (my first), and 1 Washie. image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    that's it, you're now hooked. You'll be looking at land now and try to date it and rate it for detectability! Keep us posted with your finds.