Home Precious Metals
Options

Mined some silver yesterday.

Was on my way to the golf course when I decided to stop and check on half dollars. The first bank had $100 face but the teller told me they'd been searched. On to the other bank where the teller said she had $100 in rolled halves, I bought them and looked through them when I got home last night where much to my surprise I pulled 18 40% halves.

Not 90% but still silver, the pickings have been kind of slow lately so getting some silver was a pleasant surprise.image

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Free silver is good whatever form it's in.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it amazing how much is found roll searching halves.... since I have roll searched about $2000 worth and have yet to find a silver 90% or 40%. Maybe I will try again... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it amazing how much is found roll searching halves.... since I have roll searched about $2000 worth and have yet to find a silver 90% or 40%. Maybe I will try again... Cheers, RickO >>

That sucks, keep hunting, I had a bad streak but recently pulled 6 90% and at least 6 40% out of my last search of $200 face in halfs. I also pulled about 5 or 6 that look like they are some kind of proofs/enhanced mint marked coins. I will post a pic this weekend to get some help.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>I find it amazing how much is found roll searching halves.... since I have roll searched about $2000 worth and have yet to find a silver 90% or 40%. Maybe I will try again... Cheers, RickO >>

I have searched over $60,000 in halves and found roughly $500 face in 40% and around $120 face in 90% along with a couple of 80% Canadian.

Around half of my 40% was found in solid rolls when I bought $300 worth and $20 worth of 90% was in a $500 box along with $40 in 40% so take my two biggest finds out of the equation and you can see the success rate is quite low at around .4% silver found per roll.
    As you can see I have hunted down rolls of half dollars in local towns and cities and usually find the best luck in small town banks where they have been sitting on rolls for awhile.
    The one big score of $250 in solid rolls of 40% was most likely an heir turning in rolls that someone had saved over the years as they were marked 1965,1966,1968-D,etc. on the outside of the rolls in pen. Keep looking when you get the chance cause you never know when you will hit the mother lode though I must admit that once silver shot up in price there were many people looking through halves so my finds have been few and far between lately.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Free silver is good whatever form it's in. >>

It wasn't free.imageimage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Yep, gotta keeping asking and searching.

I walked into a bank one day to buy halves and the teller said she had just sold $300 face value of halves to a guy that was in 5 minutes ahead of me. Some old lady had come in that morning to raid her safety deposit box and cash in some rolls of halves her husband had left her and put the money into her checking account. The teller said they were all full rolls of the "older halves with Ben Franklin on them". image$300 FACE VALUE!!!!!!!

I guess one good thing was that the teller said it took 2 tellers to carry her SBD out of the vault and that she had more still left in there than she cashed in. Of course she wouldn't give me the clients name.... image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a lot of roll searching in the past but lately I do better with just teller tray finds. Last week I asked at my regular bank and the teller has 7 loose halfs and 2 were franklinsimage
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice "score" !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent!! Im gonna have to hit some of the small rural towns I frequently pass through.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Excellent!! Im gonna have to hit some of the small rural towns I frequently pass through. >>

That is what I would do, many of the big town banks have regulars that come in and deposit halves they have bought at another bank.