Home Sports Talk
Options

More proof of corruption in college football...

1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
Link

Initially there were going to be no current athletic directors on the committee to choose the top 4 teams for the upcoming playoff system. Turns out, they are going to have one AD from each of the 'big 5' conferences sitting on the committee, and none from the smaller 5, thereby guaranteeing the top 4 spots to the big 5 conferences.

"HOOVER, Ala. -- Current athletic directors will be part of College Football Playoff's selection committee, sources said Wednesday.

The "working concept" is to have one athletic director representing each of the five power conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC), sources said. It is unknown whether any current athletic directors from the remaining conferences (American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt) would be on the committee.

The decision to have current athletic directors on the selection committee starting in 2014 is a change from the BCS commissioners originally not having them on the committee. In May, SEC athletic directors said they were told that current athletic directors would not be on the selection committee.

"There was a strong belief [to include current athletic directors]," a source said.

Another source said it is "highly, highly unlikely" the selection committee will release weekly rankings. This is the final year of the BCS, which provides weekly rankings after the midpoint of the season.

College Football Playoff executive director Bill Han has said previously that no current commissioners, coaches or media members would be on the committee, which will determine the four teams in the playoff.

Besides current athletic directors, former coaches, athletic directors and administrators will be on the committee, which is expected to consist of 12 to 20 members.

Han also has said previously there could be one retired media member on the committee.

Han said there were more than 100 individuals nominated to be on the committee by the 10 FBS conferences and independent schools.

"We want to have people of high integrity," Han said, "and people with the courage to make difficult decisions."

Starting after the 2014 regular season, the selection committee will be responsible for selecting the four teams for the College Football Playoff semifinals along with the other teams that will participate in the four New Year's Eve and New Year's Day major bowls.

The committee also will be responsible for pairing the teams in the four New Year's bowl games that are not hosting the national semifinals.

The first semifinals will be at the Rose and Sugar bowls on Jan. 1, 2015. The first College Football Playoff championship will be Jan. 12, 2015, at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas."

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Sounds like the NBA
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like the NBA >>

It's nothing like the NBA. You don't have backroom officials determining who gets to play in the playoffs in the NBA. Professional wrestling is more legitimate now than college football.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Why is that corrupt?
  • Options

<< <i>Why is that corrupt? >>

Current AD's of the power 5 conferences have a vested interest in their teams making it to the biggest of the big bowl games, guaranteeing their conferences the lion's share of the BCS money and perpetuating the imbalance between the 'power 5' and the mid 5.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love college football, it is becoming a joke because of the NCAA.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    If you aren't from one of the top 5 power conferences, its not like you can't play in a BCS game or even the national title game.

The #1 problem of these "none-top 5" schools is that THEIR OWN ATHLETIC DIRECTORS put together patsy schedules that essentiallly disquality their schools in the BCS formula. I get so tired of these MAC and WAC schools that go 11-0 and over the course of the year they play 1 or maybe 2 Top 25 teams. Then at the end of the year, they scream that they aren't ranked 1 or 2 in the county. Add Alabama, LSU, and TX A&M to your schedule, and then let's see you finish 11-0. If you do, you'll be in the National Championship game. No questions asked. I remember an unbeaten Hawaii team around 2005 or 2006 that was complaining mightily about not being in that National Championship game. They got Georgia in the Sugar Bowl instead. Many of Georgia's backups got significant playing time in the 2nd quarter of that game and midway through the 3rd quarter, there were some 3rd and 4th stringers getting time. The game was a total blowout and some people were actually surprised at how Hawaii got embarrased. But I tell you who wasn't suprised. Fans of teams from the Top 5 power conferences.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Mr. Adams has it right. I follow LSU. In many years, the 4th or 5th best team from the SEC is one of the top 15 teams in the country. How can you compare a team from one of the non power conferences to an SEC team fairly? If LSU plays Alabama, Florida, Texas A & M, South Carolina, Auburn, and Tennessee and loses a game, why should they be lower than a team that plays nothing but patsies?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If LSU plays Alabama, Florida, Texas A & M, South Carolina, Auburn, and Tennessee and loses a game, why should they be lower than a team that plays nothing but patsies? >>

Because some guy on the interweb said it wasn't fair.

#Occupy
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>If you aren't from one of the top 5 power conferences, its not like you can't play in a BCS game or even the national title game.

The #1 problem of these "none-top 5" schools is that THEIR OWN ATHLETIC DIRECTORS put together patsy schedules that essentiallly disquality their schools in the BCS formula. I get so tired of these MAC and WAC schools that go 11-0 and over the course of the year they play 1 or maybe 2 Top 25 teams. Then at the end of the year, they scream that they aren't ranked 1 or 2 in the county. Add Alabama, LSU, and TX A&M to your schedule, and then let's see you finish 11-0. If you do, you'll be in the National Championship game. No questions asked. I remember an unbeaten Hawaii team around 2005 or 2006 that was complaining mightily about not being in that National Championship game. They got Georgia in the Sugar Bowl instead. Many of Georgia's backups got significant playing time in the 2nd quarter of that game and midway through the 3rd quarter, there were some 3rd and 4th stringers getting time. The game was a total blowout and some people were actually surprised at how Hawaii got embarrased. But I tell you who wasn't suprised. Fans of teams from the Top 5 power conferences. >>

It's not like these other conference teams don't want to play power 5 conferences, but the truth of the matter is the big boys don't want to play. And, under the current rules, can you blame them? The power school has to win in overwhelming fashion for it to be considered a success. Cut it close? You might as well have lost. The fact is that the risk far outweighs the reward for the power 5 conference teams. Most famously Boise State has for YEARS tried to get a power 5 team to play them at home and no bites.

Until there is an unbiased selection committee and a true tournament of 16 teams determining the national championship, college football is nothing but the powerful elite perpetuating their own 'greatness'.
  • Options

<< <i>If you aren't from one of the top 5 power conferences, its not like you can't play in a BCS game or even the national title game.

The #1 problem of these "none-top 5" schools is that THEIR OWN ATHLETIC DIRECTORS put together patsy schedules that essentiallly disquality their schools in the BCS formula >>

That's because the only offers from BCS schools are two-for-one. Why won't THE ATHLETIC DIRECTORS FROM AQ CONFERENCES schedule a one-for-one with Boise State?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/864562-boise-state-football-why-bcs-teams-wont-play-the-broncos
  • Options

<< <i>Mr. Adams has it right. I follow LSU. In many years, the 4th or 5th best team from the SEC is one of the top 15 teams in the country. How can you compare a team from one of the non power conferences to an SEC team fairly? >>

Sounds like you agree it is unfair

<< <i> If LSU plays Alabama, Florida, Texas A & M, South Carolina, Auburn, and Tennessee and loses a game, why should they be lower than a team that plays nothing but patsies? >>

No one has ever said a one-loss SEC team shouldn't be above an undefeated team with a much weaker schedule. But none of those teams from the weaker conferences can play those stronger teams unless they are getting by far the worst end of the deal. Why did LSU refuse to go on the road to play Kent State?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The #1 problem of these "none-top 5" schools is that THEIR OWN ATHLETIC DIRECTORS put together patsy schedules that essentially disqualify their schools in the BCS formula. I get so tired of these MAC and WAC schools that go 11-0 and over the course of the year they play 1 or maybe 2 Top 25 teams. Then at the end of the year, they scream that they aren't ranked 1 or 2 in the county. Add Alabama, LSU, and TX A&M to your schedule, and then let's see you finish 11-0. If you do, you'll be in the National Championship game. No questions asked. I remember an unbeaten Hawaii team around 2005 or 2006 that was complaining mightily about not being in that National Championship game. They got Georgia in the Sugar Bowl instead. Many of Georgia's backups got significant playing time in the 2nd quarter of that game and midway through the 3rd quarter, there were some 3rd and 4th stringers getting time. The game was a total blowout and some people were actually surprised at how Hawaii got embarrassed. But I tell you who wasn't surprised. Fans of teams from the Top 5 power conferences. >>

So your support for your argument is to cherry pick a single bowl game from several years ago? No mention of Boise State and its multiple BCS bowl wins?

No question that a lot of non-power conference schools have had inflated records because of the schedules they play. The same is also true of the power conference schools. Take your LSU, for example. Their OOC schedule in 2012 was North Texas, Washington, Idaho, and Towson. All at home. Of those four, only Washington is even remotely decent. And the rest of the SEC is almost all the same way - Florida hasn't left their own state for an OOC game in something like 30 years, for example.

Bottom line is that the power schools refuse to schedule the non-power schools that are semi-decent, or will only do it under ridiculous restrictions (home only, 2-for-1, 3-for-1, etc) and then they'll try and claim that the non-power schools don't play anybody.

• Options
    Tabe- Are you really suggesting that LSU doesn't play tough out-of-conference schedules? Without looking at their schedules, I recall that over the last 5 or 10 years, in addition to their SEC schedules, they've had regular season games at Arizona State, at Oregon, at Washington, and vs. North Carolina in Atlanta. Who exactly do you think they are afraid to play on the road? I can assure you that Les Miles and the Athletic Dept. at LSU are more than willing to play anyone, anywhere, at anytime.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    I also love how Boise schedules 1 big game per year and then plays a total-patsy conference schedule with one of the weakest strength of schedules in the country, then expects the rest of the schools nationwide to respect their football program.

The really sad thing is that if Boise's AD had really had some balls and put together a real schedule for that school while Kellen Moore was there, then maybe they could have gotten into a title game. But once again, the chicken-sh*t AD's can't manage to put a real schedule together.

• Options

<< <i>Tabe- Are you really suggesting that LSU doesn't play tough out-of-conference schedules? Without looking at their schedules, I recall that over the last 5 or 10 years, in addition to their SEC schedules, they've had regular season games at Arizona State, at Oregon, at Washington, and vs. North Carolina in Atlanta. Who exactly do you think they are afraid to play on the road? >>

That's four Pac-10 teams and an ACC team. If LSU isn't scared about hurting their BCS standing, why have they forever refused to go on the road against any non-AQ Conference team in a one-for-one.

<< <i>I can assure you that Les Miles and the Athletic Dept. at LSU are more than willing to play anyone, anywhere, at anytime. >>

Sounds like a bunch horsesh--. If that was true, any team from a non-AQ Conference would have signed up every single year; instead they are left traveling to LSU without the Tigers ever going on the road to face them.
  • Options

<< <i>I also love how Boise schedules 1 big game per year and then plays a total-patsy conference schedule with one of the weakest strength of schedules in the country, then expects the rest of the schools nationwide to respect their football program. >>

You mean Georgia at the Georgia Dome or Virginia Tech in DC. They schedule one big game per year, because that's all they could ever get. Boise State swept Oregon, now no other team would ever make the same offer, the best they could ever get from an AQ Conference school is a two-for-one -- go on the road twice, while the other team only does so once

To most of us, we don't see Boise's AD lacking balls, we see all the others who refuse to ever visit them as not having any balls
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I also love how Boise schedules 1 big game per year and then plays a total-patsy conference schedule with one of the weakest strength of schedules in the country, then expects the rest of the schools nationwide to respect their football program. >>

You mean Georgia at the Georgia Dome or Virginia Tech in DC. They schedule one big game per year, because that's all they could ever get. Boise State swept Oregon, now no other team would ever make the same offer, the best they could ever get from an AQ Conference school is a two-for-one -- go on the road twice, while the other team only does so once

To most of us, we don't see Boise's AD lacking balls, we see all the others who refuse to ever visit them as not having any balls >>

You couldn't be more right. The SEC in particular is the worst offender of a cupcake out of conference schedule, regularly scheduling FBS teams! All in the name of 'wah our conference schedule is so tough!' And the mid major conferences can't even get a home and home agreement with any of these bums. Throw in ESPN's compliance with pumping up the SEC (especially handy seeing as they have had and will continue to have a very mutually beneficial TV deal) and you have a system that is totally broken.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Why did LSU refuse to go on the road to play Kent State?

Let me give you 20,500 reasons. That is the capacity of Kent's football stadium. Both Kent and LSU make more money playing that game in Baton Rouge. Oh, and despite the fact that this was the best Kent State team in years, only one game all season sold out. Most of the games had between 16,000 and 18,000 in attendance.

Personally, I would LOVE a tournament similar to the one for basketball. 16 teams would be fine. If that happens, don't bet against the SEC bringing both teams to the championship game quite often. For example, in 2007 when LSU beat the crap out of Ohio State, do you not think that the Matthew Stafford led Georgia Bulldogs would have done the same thing? Of course they would have. In 2009, Alabama beat Texas in the title game. Wouldn't the Florida Gators have done the same? Probably. In 2010, it was Auburn's turn to win it all. Would LSU have beaten Oregon? They beat them in the first game the following season. In 2011, Arkansas was the #5 team in the country and they were the third best team in the SEC. And last season, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, Florida, and Texas A & M would have all crushed Notre Dame.

Sorry that you don't like the SEC.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>. Both Kent and LSU make more money playing that game in Baton Rouge. >>

Sounds like you agree LSU won't play anyone, anywhere, anytime, like mcadams tried to say. There is nothing wrong with earning as much revenue as possible, but saying that these things are examples of competition being above money is completely dishonest
  • Options

<< <i>

Sounds like you agree LSU won't play anyone, anywhere, anytime, like mcadams tried to say. There is nothing wrong with earning as much revenue as possible, but saying that these things are examples of competition being above money is completely dishonest >>

The SEC teams have it made - they have it in people's heads that they play the toughest schedule in conference, so people give them a pass for playing creampuffs out of conference. Throw in the media's complete buy in (and along with my previously made point about ESPN being the SEC broadcast partner) and they get the max money from all the BCS games. They don't have to play anyone resembling a tough opponent on the road, then get everyone to bash the Boise States of the world without admitting they won't go on the road to play them.

The system is fundamentally rigged against the little guys, and it's a system that is simply never going to change.
  • Options

<< <i> Why did LSU refuse to go on the road to play Kent State? >>

They would get lost trying to find it.
  • Options

<< <i>

The system is fundamentally rigged against the little guys, and it's a system that is simply never going to change. >>

Or the system is set up to protect those who are most deserving. The majority of our nations best college football prospects have migrated to the southeast.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The system is fundamentally rigged against the little guys, and it's a system that is simply never going to change. >>

Or the system is set up to protect those who are most deserving. The majority of our nations best college football prospects have migrated to the southeast. >>

They aren't going to the best programs, per se, but the ones that receive the most media attention. Why did Notre Dame continue to get a good number of recruits, year in and year out, despite them being an average at best program? TV time. That's what these kids want and need for a pro career, so that's why they flock to the SEC teams. And 'most deserving'? Who says?

ESPN being a broadcast partner of the SEC all but ensures those schools will get more recruits, because the coaches can sit the kids and their parents down and assure them they will be on national TV regularly.

• Options
    The one flaw is that you are assuming that them SEC has a majority on dominance due to a television contract with ESPN, when in fact the SEC was already a powerhouse when the contract was signed. It was the dominate position that the SEC had gained which enticed ESPN to fork over the money.

Now, does having an ESPN contract help with recruiting? Yes. It helps a lot, and the recruiting season is where the SEC separates itself from the other conference. Alabama has fared well since the day Saban stepped foot on campus, and that has every thing to do with recruiting.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>The one flaw is that you are assuming that them SEC has a majority on dominance due to a television contract with ESPN, when in fact the SEC was already a powerhouse when the contract was signed. It was the dominate position that the SEC had gained which enticed ESPN to fork over the money.

Now, does having an ESPN contract help with recruiting? Yes. It helps a lot, and the recruiting season is where the SEC separates itself from the other conference. Alabama has fared well since the day Saban stepped foot on campus, and that has every thing to do with recruiting. >>

How hard is it to recruit kids when you can say 'hey kid come sign here you'll be on national TV X number of times a year?
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The one flaw is that you are assuming that them SEC has a majority on dominance due to a television contract with ESPN, when in fact the SEC was already a powerhouse when the contract was signed. It was the dominate position that the SEC had gained which enticed ESPN to fork over the money.

Now, does having an ESPN contract help with recruiting? Yes. It helps a lot, and the recruiting season is where the SEC separates itself from the other conference. Alabama has fared well since the day Saban stepped foot on campus, and that has every thing to do with recruiting. >>

How hard is it to recruit kids when you can say 'hey kid come sign here you'll be on national TV X number of times a year? >>

Notre Dame. end of your argument
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    How hard is it to recruit kids when you can say 'hey kid come sign here you'll be on national TV X number of times a year? >>

Does ND still require all freshmen to take calculus? That certainly would put a crimp in your recruiting. Boise needs to take the approach Bowden and FSU took 30 or so years ago-we will play anyone anytime anywhere.

ESPN has not always pimped for the SEC. For years they were Big 10 whores. They pushed non-stop for Woodson over Manning for the Heisman.
  • Options

<< <i>How hard is it to recruit kids when you can say 'hey kid come sign here you'll be on national TV X number of times a year? >>

Does ND still require all freshmen to take calculus? That certainly would put a crimp in your recruiting. Boise needs to take the approach Bowden and FSU took 30 or so years ago-we will play anyone anytime anywhere.

ESPN has not always pimped for the SEC. For years they were Big 10 whores. They pushed non-stop for Woodson over Manning for the Heisman. >>

I don't know, I have had my degree for years so haven't been looking into it. Maybe Posnanski will know though.
  • Options

<< <i>Boise needs to take the approach Bowden and FSU took 30 or so years ago-we will play anyone anytime anywhere. >>

They've pretty much already done that. They only balk on one-and-done deals that power conference schools use to get out of playing decent OOC games. In the past, they haven't even insisted on that - here's a story from 2009 relating how Boise had been turned by over 10 BCS schools for a one-off game:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/284222-boise-state-attacked-for-soft-schedule-but-no-bcs-teams-will-play-them

• Options

<< <i>How hard is it to recruit kids when you can say 'hey kid come sign here you'll be on national TV X number of times a year? >>

>>

Perhaps you missed where I mentioned ND, and they are a unique example in that they alone hold a TV deal with NBC, and it proves my point in how impressionable kids are when it comes to recruiting, that TV appearances trumps pretty much everything else.

• Options

<< <i>

>>

Perhaps you missed where I mentioned ND, and they are a unique example in that they alone hold a TV deal with NBC, and it proves my point in how impressionable kids are when it comes to recruiting, that TV appearances trumps pretty much everything else. >>

I didn't miss it, I think you were taking quite a few leaps in what made up their decisions based only on how you see things, which with everyone as I'm sure you would agree, doesn't mean the same thing as a fact.
  • Options

Notre Dame. end of your argument >>

That was a question not an argument. Pretty much everyone agrees Notre Dame struggles with recruiting compared to the top SEC, Pac-12 and Big 10 (or whatever it is now) teams. Pretty much everyone also agrees they would struggle to get past six wins without their huge TV exposure, instead they end up playing for the National Championship
  • Options
    Anyone who suggest college football isn't completely rigged toward the power 5 conferences and the SEC in particular is fooling themselves. The SEC in particular now has ESPN in their pocket, which only makes their consolidation of power even easier. It's the same thing that happened with MLB when ESPN began to solely focus on Boston and the Yankees.

Even worse are the self-deluded SEC fans who are so drunk on the koolaid that they can't see the corruption being as all-encompassing as it has become. As long as the conference they root for is reaping the benefits, they love it. Too bad it's single-handedly destroying the integrity of the game. Good luck with that, fellas.
  • Options

<< <i>

Sounds like you agree LSU won't play anyone, anywhere, anytime, like mcadams tried to say. There is nothing wrong with earning as much revenue as possible, but saying that these things are examples of competition being above money is completely dishonest >>

NVBaseball- I try to be polite on these boards, but I'm starting to suspect that you have mental issues. Earlier in this thread, a statement was made that SEC teams don't play tough out of conference games. Then several of us provided examples that contridicted that statement. Then we went further and pointed out that SEC teams routinely play huge out of conference games and played them ON THE ROAD. But still that wasn't enough for you and your ilk. Now you are trying to criticize the SEC for not going on the road to play tiny-a$$ schools with high-school sized stadiums. I'm sorry, but if you are a tiny-a$$ school with a tiny stadium and you want to make a point, then you need to go visit the big boys and beat them in their backyard. That's how the Miami program was built in the 80's. If Kent wants to do that, then Kent needs to go win several huge games in one year. Not just 1 big game (like the BS Boise tries to pull every year) several big games. NVBaseball- The points you are trying to make are invalid. SEC teams go on the road ALL THE TIME and crush people on neutral fields and in their house. Despite all the facts that have been laid out here on this thread, you now theorize that some SEC school doesn't want to play 1 specific school that you have in mind. Its baloney dude. You lost....just move on.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

To most of us, we don't see Boise's AD lacking balls, we see all the others who refuse to ever visit them as not having any balls >>

You couldn't be more right. The SEC in particular is the worst offender of a cupcake out of conference schedule >>

1985 Fan- Your last comment above has earned you a college football credibility score of zero. Cupcake out of conference schedules for the SEC? Do you really want to go there? I'll tell you right now....if you really want to go down that path where we bring up real facts, you are going to be humiliated on this thread in front of everyone. But just hit reply if you want to go there.....and we can go there.

• Options
    Oh snap.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>
    1985 Fan- Your last comment above has earned you a college football credibility score of zero. Cupcake out of conference schedules for the SEC? Do you really want to go there? I'll tell you right now....if you really want to go down that path where we bring up real facts, you are going to be humiliated on this thread in front of everyone. But just hit reply if you want to go there.....and we can go there. >>

Humiliated? That's a good one. I'll just drop the upcoming out of conference schedule here, and show everyone what a total and complete fraud nearly the entire SEC has become. Only 3 out of 14 schools scheduled two major conference opponents, everyone else is ducking and hiding and hoping mindless apologists like YOU show up to defend the practice.

2013 SEC Out-of--Conference Schedule:

(unable to provide link, due to filter restrictions):

"While coaches and administrators debate the future of the league’s non-conference schedules, whether stronger opponents will be needed to boost strength of schedule under the upcoming College Football Playoff, we decided to take a look at what is right in front us: the 2013 non-conference schedules.

Here are the four teams each school will play outside the SEC this season and how we think that slate ranks.

Some interesting items to note: Kentucky, LSU, Auburn and Texas A&M don’t leave their home fields for non-league play. Arkansas and Texas A&M are front loaded with four straight non-conference opponents before finishing the year with eight straight SEC games.

1. Georgia

At Clemson; North Texas; Appalachian State; At Georgia Tech

The Bulldogs are at the top of the list not only because they play two BCS-conference foes but also because they play both of them on the road. But neither the Tigers nor the Yellow Jackets has had much luck lately against Georgia.

2. Florida

Toledo; At Miami; Georgia Southern; Florida State

The Gators have the most impressive sounding out-of-conference slate with a road game against Miami and a regular season finale against FSU.But Miami has taken a couple steps back.

3. South Carolina

North Carolina; At UCF; Coastal Carolina; Clemson

The Game**** are the only school in the SEC other than Georgia and Florida with two major conference opponents on the out-of-league schedule. The good news is both the games are at home.

4. Alabama

Virginia Tech (Georgia Dome); Colorado State; Georgia State; Chattanooga

The Crimson Tide has two games that look good on the schedule in the Hokies and Rams, but this was a bit of savvy scheduling as neither of those teams is near its prime. Alabama will be a double-digit favorite in each game.

5. Tennessee

Austin Peay; Western Kentucky; At Oregon; South Alabama

There was a time that Tennessee vs. Oregon would have been a marquee national game. Now, it looks like it could be embarrassing for first-year coach Butch Jones.

6. Ole Miss

Southeast Missouri; At Texas; Idaho; Troy

It’s probably a good thing for Ole Miss that the Texas game is scheduled to be shown only on the Longhorn Network, which is long on hype but short on viewers. Texas whipped the Rebels 66-31 last year in Oxford, and the Longhorns look to be better this year.

7. Mississippi State

Oklahoma State (at Houston); Alcorn State; Troy; Bowling Green

Credit to the Bulldogs for taking on a really good Oklahoma State game. A loss would warm up Dan Mullen’s seat right off the bat. Nothing else on this schedule looks daunting.

8. Kentucky

Western Kentucky; Miami (OH); Louisville; Alabama State

The in-state rivalry against Louisville has taken an ugly turn for the Wildcats, and it doesn’t figure to get any better in Mark Stoops’ first year. Stoops needs to make sure Petrino and the Hilltoppers, who are not rebuilding, don’t make him 0-2 in the Bluegrass State this year.

9. Arkansas

Louisiana Lafayette; Samford (at Little Rock); Southern Miss; At Rutgers

First-year coach Bret Bielema must have loved inheriting this slate. A trip to Rutgers won’t be easy, but it also shouldn’t result in a loss. The problem will come when these games are done as Arkansas closes the regular season with eight SEC games in a row.

10. Missouri

Murray State; Toledo; At Indiana; Arkansas State

The only reason the Tigers get any credit for this schedule is they are playing at a Big Ten team, but this isn’t basketball.However, a trip to Bloomington to play the Hoosiers is not daunting unless you’re playing basketball.

11. Vanderbilt

Austin Peay; At UMass; UAB; Wake Forest

Coach James Franklin says he is looking to schedule wins in his out-of-conference schedule. He deserves credit for honesty, and the Wake Forest-Vanderbilt game seems to make sense. The only question we have is: When is the last time an SEC football team played at UMass?

12. LSU

TCU; UAB; Kent State; Furman

C’mon Les Miles. The Tigers are one of the SEC’s big boys. They should test themselves more out of the league.

13. Auburn

Washington State; Arkansas State; Western Carolina; Florida Atlantic

First-year defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson will have headaches against Mike Leach and Washington State. Other than that, this is a very kind schedule.

14. Texas A&M

Rice; Sam Houston State; SMU; UTEP

Like LSU, Texas A&M should be a little ashamed of itself on this one. "

If you're going to sit there and suggest anyone other than Georgia is going out of their way to schedule quality opponents, well, I don't know what to tell you. Only three teams out of the 14 scheduled two major conference opponents, the others? Please! The SEC is a joke, and people like you constantly working to defend it and its PATHETIC scheduling practices is only encouraging it. As the article states, they are going to have to schedule better teams OOC when the playoff comes - and if that alone doesn't tell you their scheduling now is a joke, well, sir, NOTHING will. I am done with this thread, I am done with willfully ignorant folks continually taking the FACTS and turning a blind eye to them.
  • Options
    2012 was no different:

2012 Story

"Today we look at the Southeastern Conference’s non-conference football schedules. The SEC, king of college football. The SEC, king of the wuss schedule. The SEC schedules are an annual embarrassment, and 2012 is no different. An occasional marquee matchup, mixed in with a Division I-AA opponent or one of the litany of southern mid-majors trying to cash a big paycheck. Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane, Troy, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee, Alabama-Birmingham, Louisiana Tech.

The SEC ought to be ashamed.

Games against lower-division teams: 15. All 14 teams play one Division I-AA foe, except Texas A&M plays two. Poor Jacksonville State plays Arkansas and Florida. So of the SEC’s 56 non-conference games, 26.8 percent are against lower-division teams. That’s absurd. Not as absurd as the Big 12′s 30 percent.

Games against traditional national powers: Five. Alabama-Michigan, Florida-Florida State, Ole Miss-Texas and two Clemson games — Auburn and South Carolina. So 8.9 percent of the SEC’s non-conference games are against elite competition. The Big 12 plays 6.7 percent of its games against the elite (two of 30).

Games against other major-conference programs: Nine. Some good names. Georgia Tech, Washington, Arizona State, Northwestern, Syracuse, Louisville. Also Rutgers, North Carolina State, Wake Forest. So that’s 14 solid games for the SEC; 25 percent. The Big 12 is at 27 percent.

Road games: 12. That’s counting three neutral site games — Tennessee-North Carolina State, Auburn-Clemson and Michigan-Alabama. Of the nine true road games, four are against mid-majors — Mississippi State at Troy, Missouri at Central Florida and Texas A&M at both Louisiana Tech and SMU. So the SEC plays 21.4 percent of its non-conference games away from home. The Big 12 plays 27 percent.

OK. Let’s rank the SEC schedules.

1. Missouri: Southeastern Louisiana, Arizona State, at Central Florida, Syracuse. Hey, Missouri. Three decent games? Get out of this league.

2. South Carolina: East Carolina, Alabama-Birmingham, Wofford, at Clemson. Playing East Carolina will be dicey for the Game*****. No other SEC school has scheduled the Pirates since 1998.

3. Florida: Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette, Jacksonville State, at Florida State. Classic SEC schedule. Three automatic wins, one good game.

4. Alabama: Michigan at Arlington, Texas; Western Kentucky; Florida Atlantic; Western Carolina. Classic Alabama schedule. Three rumdums and a traditional intersectional matchup.

5. Mississippi: Central Arkansas, Texas-El Paso, Texas, Tulane. Longhorns in Oxford will be a culture clash.

6. Auburn: Clemson at Atlanta, Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico State, Alabama A&M. Auburn is following the Alabama model.

7. Vanderbilt: at Northwestern, Presbyterian, Massachusetts, at Wake Forest. Two road games at fellow major-conference schools. Vandy is doing its part to make the SEC look good.

8. Georgia: Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech. Georgia has been playing some decent games besides Georgia Tech. But not this year.

9. Tennessee: North Carolina State at Atlanta, Georgia State, Akron, Troy. Just because you’re playing in Atlanta doesn’t make N.C. State a credible foe.

10. LSU: North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Towson. Hey, no Louisiana schools. What gives?

11. Kentucky: at Louisville, Kent State, Western Kentucky, Samford. Why Samford? Why not Eastern Kentucky?

12. Arkansas: Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Monroe, Rutgers, Tulsa. By Arkansas standards, this is not a bad schedule.

13. Texas A&M: at Louisiana Tech, at SMU, South Carolina State, Sam Houston State. What a strange schedule. Two home games against I-AA foes. Two road games against mid-majors. The Aggies will be pining for the Thanksgiving game against the ‘Horns.

14. Mississippi State: Jackson State, at Troy, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee. Talk about your tour of Southern mid-majors. Throw in Louisiana-Lafayette, and you’ve got a smorgasbord."
  • Options
    Hell, even ESPN called out the SEC in 2011 (although there's no way in hell this article would get published today):

Link

The SEC catches some serious grief from other conferences for not playing more high-profile nonconference games.

My feeling is that everybody should play at least one marquee nonconference game every season, but there’s also no reason to load up when you have to navigate the grind of the league schedule.

As a rule, the SEC schools have made more of an effort the past few years to go out and play at least one nonconference game that qualifies as a main event.

There are several in the first three weeks this season: LSU vs. Oregon, Georgia vs. Boise State, BYU at Ole Miss and Auburn at Clemson. Arkansas takes on Texas A&M the first week of October, and then there are the annual rivalry games at the end of the season: Clemson at South Carolina, Florida State at Florida and Georgia at Georgia Tech.

Here’s how we would rank the SEC’s nonconference schedules in 2011 from toughest to easiest:

1. LSU: Sept 3 – Oregon in Arlington, Texas; Sept. 10 – Northwestern State; Sept. 24 – at West Virginia; Nov. 12 – Western Kentucky

2. Georgia: Sept. 3 – Boise State in Atlanta; Sept. 17 – Coastal Carolina; Nov. 5 – New Mexico State; Nov. 26 – at Georgia Tech

3. Arkansas: Sept. 3 – Missouri State; Sept. 10 – New Mexico in Little Rock; Sept. 17 – Troy; Oct. 1 – Texas A&M in Arlington, Texas

4. Ole Miss: Sept. 3 – Brigham Young; Sept. 10 – Southern Illinois; Oct. 1 – at Fresno State; Nov. 12 – Louisiana Tech

5. Alabama: Sept. 3 – Kent State; Sept. 10 – at Penn State; Sept. 17 – North Texas; Nov. 19 – Georgia Southern

6. Florida: Sept. 3 – Florida Atlantic; Sept. 10 – UAB; Nov. 19 – Furman; Nov. 26 – Florida State

7. South Carolina: Sept. 3 – East Carolina in Charlotte, N.C.; Sept. 17 – Navy; Nov. 19 – The Citadel; Nov. 26 – Clemson

8. Auburn: Sept. 3 – Utah State; Sept. 17 – at Clemson; Sept. 24 – Florida Atlantic; Nov. 19 – Samford

9. Vanderbilt: Sept. 3 – Elon; Sept. 10 – Connecticut; Oct. 22 – Army; Nov. 26 – at Wake Forest

10. Kentucky: Sept. 1 – Western Kentucky in Nashville; Sept. 10 – Central Michigan; Sept. 17 – Louisville; Oct. 22 – Jacksonville State

11. Mississippi State: Sept. 3 – at Memphis; Sept. 24 – Louisiana Tech; Oct. 8 – at UAB; Nov. 5 – Tennessee-Martin

12. Tennessee: Sept. 3 – Montana; Sept. 10 – Cincinnati; Oct. 1 – Buffalo; Nov. 5 – Middle Tennessee

Of note: LSU is the only school in the league that plays two opponents away from home who are members of BCS conferences (Oregon and West Virginia). … For the 20th consecutive season, Florida won’t have to leave the state of Florida to play a nonconference game in the regular season. The last time the Gators did was 1991 when they lost 38-21 at Syracuse. … In addition to Florida, Georgia and Tennessee also won’t have to leave their respective states to play nonconference games in 2011. … The Gators and the Vols are the only two teams in the league who will play all four nonconference games in their home stadiums. … Auburn doesn’t face anybody on its nonconference slate that finished with a winning record last season. The closest was Clemson at 6-7. … Three of Vanderbilt’s nonconference opponents (Elon, UConn and Army) are coming off winning seasons. … Tennessee was originally scheduled to play at North Carolina this coming season, but athletic director Mike Hamilton bought that series out after the Tar Heels refused to move it until later this decade. A home date with Buffalo replaced North Carolina on Tennessee’s schedule. … Jacksonville State gets a chance to shock an SEC team for the second straight season after upsetting Ole Miss to open the season a year ago. This coming season, Jacksonville State takes it shot at Kentucky on Oct. 22. … Mississippi State plays two games away from home against non-BCS opponents. The Bulldogs play at Memphis to open the season and also travel to UAB on Oct. 8. … Only four opponents who ended last season ranked in the AP’s Top 25 show up on SEC schedules in 2011: Boise State (Georgia), Florida State (Florida), Oregon (LSU) and Texas A&M (Arkansas).
  • Options
    I'll take your list of schools in your 1st post and we can go 1 school at a time to make it more painful for you to eat your BS one school at a time.

• Options
    1) Georgia 2013

You should have been completely embarrased to even write a paragraph on Georgia. GEORGIA OPENS THE SEASON ON THE ROAD AGAINST CLEMSON. Clemson is the pre-season #8 team in the country, returns most of the offense from last year, and is led by Heisman hopeful QB. That game alone should shut you up, but I'll keep going. They also play Georgia Tech.

And where do they play Georgia Tech...........................Wait for It.....................ON THE Mother F**king road. That's Georgia Tech, champion of 4 of the last 7 in the ACC Coastal Division.

But I guess you'd respect Georgia more if they played Kent State instead. In addition to the 2 very meaningful OOC games above, they also play 3 other teams currently ranked in the top 15 including Florida, SC, and LSU. But hey, like you said, its just another easy a$$ cupcake schedule for another SEC school.

2) And before you say "But that's just 2013, they usually don't play anybody", here's a few other OOC Schools Georgia has played recently. OK State at home. OK State on the Road. Boise State at Home. Boise State on a neutral field. Georgia Tech every year. Home AND AWAY with Arizona State. Geez....Lots of non-home games in there. And I'll avoid mentioning the OOC bowl games such as the beatdown of non-conference Nebraska last season.

But if you think Clemson, Arizona State, Nebraska, Georgia Tech, and OK State are all patsies, then I guess you're onto something.

• Options
    2) Florida 2013

Ughhh......

Florida plays Out of Conference Giants Florida State and Miami this year. In fact..........they play FSU EVERY SINGLE F**king year. I guess if they replaced Miami on the schedule with Kent State, then we'd be able to see some real football. Florida State has won the ACC Atlantic Division 2 of the past 3 years and 3 of the past 8. They enter the season ranked 12th. But do we really have to even spell out any stats. We're talking about FSU and Miami here. But just so we're technically and directly refuting the BS spewed earlier on this thread. Those are 2 big OOC games and the Miami game in ON THE ROAD.

Let's also rewind to last season. To douse 1984's infatuation with the MAC and the SunBelt, I'd also like to point to Florida's 2012 victories over Bowling Green and La Lafayette. Florida also trounced FSU ON THE ROAD in Tallahassee in 2012. 2011? In addition to OOC with ranked FSU, they also handed out beatdowns (and no losses) to a diverse set of C-USA and MAC. Hey, I thought the MAC guys kept getting left out. Why didn't Bowling Green or Miami Ohio win ANY of these?

• Options

<< <i>1) Georgia' 2013 Schedule

You should have been completely embarrased to even write a paragraph on Georgia. GEORGIA OPENS THE SEASON ON THE ROAD AGAINST CLEMSON. Clemson is the pre-season #8 team in the country, returns most of the offense from last year, and is led by Heisman hopeful QB. That game alone should shut you up, but I'll keep going. They also play Georgia Tech. >>

I didn't write any of the paragraphs, I copied articles that highlighted each schools' schedule. But the fact that you are so blind with rage and ignorance and just plain fanboyism you couldn't even read that part. Hilarious.

<< <i>And where do they play Georgia Tech...........................Wait for It.....................ON THE Mother F**king road. That's Georgia Tech, champion of 4 of the last 7 in the ACC Coastal Division. >>

Wow, you're sure getting heated over some college kids playing football.

<< <i>But I guess you'd respect Georgia more if they played Kent State instead. In addition to the 2 very meaningful OOC games above, they also play 3 other teams currently ranked in the top 15 including Florida, SC, and LSU. But hey, like you said, its just another easy a$$ cupcake schedule for another SEC school. >>

There you go, making baseless, ignorant assumptions. Nice strawman for you to set up then knock down.

<< <i>2) And before you say "But that's just 2013, they usually don't play anybody", here's a few other OOC Schools Georgia has played recently. OK State at home. OK State on the Road. Boise State at Home. Boise State on a neutral field. Georgia Tech every year. Home AND AWAY with Arizona State. Geez....Lots of non-home games in there. And I'll avoid mentioning the OOC bowl games such as the beatdown of non-conference Nebraska last season. >>

The fact that you feel so compelled to pull these random games out of your backside says more than I ever could. The fact that you pull them out without any context is even more noteworthy.

<< <i>But if you think Clemson, Arizona State, Nebraska, Georgia Tech, and OK State are all patsies, then I guess you're onto something. >>

Did I say they were ALL patsies? Of course I didn't, and if you would have bothered to READ before flying into a rage and posting, you'd have seen that the article ranked Georgia's schedule was ranked first in difficulty. The fact that you can't compose a post without losing your composure and resorting to swearing is telling as well. Hilarious.

Have a great day, but I'd propose that you are so fueled by anger that today is going to be a miserable one for you.

• Options
    3) LSU 2013

Holy Sh*t Batman....

Let's forget about the double digit beatdown that awaits the mighty Kent State Flashes on 9/14 (I've circled it though). Let's also forget about that patsy-a$$ conference schedule that includes Texas A&M, Florida, and ROAD TRIPS to Tuscaloosa Alabama and Athens Georgia. Because what would those wins really mean anyway...Those are just pointless make-believe games that ESPN likes to tout.. just money and TV, not real football in those 4.

Let's focus on Out-of-Mother F**king conference and Neutral-Mother-F**king field game with TCU. Is TCU an OOC patsy? 54-12 over the past 5 years. And 6 of those losses happened in 1 year after they joined one the "Big 5" conferences that you seem to think is so over-rated. Heck, let's just let 1 thing marinate for a moment. TCU was 47-6 and a darling and then they joined a "Big-5" over-rated conference and then went 7-6. All that aside, they are a national powerhouse and LSU is playing them in 2013 on a neutral field. So, 1984, this unfortunately is another gigantic thorn in the side of your claim that the SEC plays OOC patsies.

Before 2013, let's look at recent history of LSU. Ignoring the SEC....LSU played home AND AWAY (re-read the word AWAY 1984) with West Virginia, Home and Away with Oregon, Home AND AWAY with Washington. So, they totally gave an opportunity to the Pac-12 (every year for 4 years) and to the Big East. But you know, over those 6 games, the Pac -12 and Big East went 0-6. The Country said to the Pac 12 "Please....Dear God.... Just win 1 of these and shut the SEC UP" The Pac-12 Responded with "We're sorry guys, We're not Good Enough"

But just so 1984 or 1985 or whatever his name is can't say "OK, so you dominated all the big conferences, but you didn't give the little guys a chance"....Since 2010, every year LSU has played 1 game against either the MAC, the SunBelt, or the Southland Conference. But just like the big conferences, these schools also said "Mr. SEC, we tried, but we're just not as good as you. Thank you for the spanking MAY I HAVE ANOTHER"

• Options
    4) Ole Miss

Dear 1985 Fan, this is not going to get any easier for you. Just loosen up the seatbelt a little and close your eyes and it will all be over soon. Keep in mind that this exchange is the direct result of 1985 fan claiming that the SEC plays a patsy OOC schedule.

In 2013, Ole Miss plays Alabama and LSU, but just for 1985, we will focus on Out Of Conference. On Saturday 9/14 Ole Miss will get on a bus and ride to Austin Texas to play a little known school called the Texas Longhorns. Over the past few years, Ole Miss (one of the worst schools in the SEC) has played a BYU, at Fresno State (Ole Miss won that one), and at Wake Forest. They also gave the "little guys" a chance with a 5-0 record against the beloved mid majors of Conference USA and the Sunbelt..

1985 is thinking to himself right now "I can't believe the nerve of that Ole Miss AD to put together a patsy schedule with Texas, Alabama, and LSU and think that I wouldn't notice"

• Options
    I'm going to lunch. Will be back later to discuss Alabama's patsy schedule.

• Options

<< <i>
    1985 is thinking to himself right now "I can't believe the nerve of that Ole Miss AD to put together a patsy schedule with Texas, Alabama, and LSU and think that I wouldn't notice" >>

No, I'm thinking two things:

First, you have some serious anger management issues, or are simply a person with a limited vocabulary, in that you have to swear so repeatedly in laboring to make your point. It's not intimidating, it's not threatening, it's actually pretty funny how worked up you're getting and how intellectually barren you are making yourself out to be in having to 'shock' us by swearing instead of making valid and cohesive points. Second, the entire premise of my argument (and that of all three of the articles I linked) was specifically targeted to the out of conference scheduling. The fact that your 'defense' of Ole Miss is predicated around two IN conference opponents is all the proof I need that you just don't understand debate at all.

Go enjoy that lunch, sir, don't worry about me, though, I'm laughing and enjoying what a total and complete buffoon you are proving yourself to be. And for what? Because someone dared to disagree with which college football conference you choose to root for? Good gravy, man, if *that's* what it takes to make you get this angry, I'd really hate to see you disagree with someone over something that is actually important.
  • Options
    Holy projection, Batman!

• Options

<< <i>Holy projection, Batman!

image >>

You're right, macadams is TOTALLY out of line.

• Options

<< <i>Boise State at Home. Boise State on a neutral field. >>

Yeah, technically the Georgia Dome is a neutral field but c'mon. And Boise State still won by 14. So now that Boise State has played Georgia in Athens (an admittedly one-sided loss during a down year for Boise State in 2005 in their last year before Chris Petersen) and beat Georgia on a neutral field, do you think we'll see Georgia return the favor with a trip up to Boise? Somehow I doubt it.

Still, that said, Georgia at least puts some effort into their OOC and occasionally travels.