Options

Gold forged from remains of dead stars

STUDY: DEAD STARS COLLIDING FORGED GOLD ON EARTH
BY ALICIA CHANG
AP SCIENCE WRITER

AP Photo/Anonymous
SCIENCE VIDEO

BUY AP PHOTO REPRINTS

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A strange glow in space has provided fresh evidence that all the gold on Earth was forged from ancient collisions of dead stars, researchers reported Wednesday.

Astronomers have long known that fusion reactions in the cores of stars create lighter elements such as carbon and oxygen, but such reactions can't produce heavier elements like gold.

Instead, it was long thought that gold was created in a type of stellar explosion known as a supernova. But that doesn't fully explain the amount of the precious metal in the solar system.

About a decade ago, a team from Europe using supercomputers suggested that gold, platinum and other heavy metals could be formed when two exotic stars - neutron stars - crash and merge. Neutron stars are essentially stellar relics - collapsed cores of massive stars.

Now telescopes have detected such an explosion, and the observation bolsters the notion that gold in our jewelry was made in such rare and violent collisions long before the birth of the solar system about 4 1/2 billion years ago.

People "walk around with a little tiny piece of the universe," said lead researcher Edo Berger of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

NASA's Swift telescope last month observed a gamma-ray burst that resulted from the crash of dead stars. The burst, in a distant galaxy, was some 3.9 billion light-years away. Each light-year is about 6 trillion miles.

The burst lasted only a fraction of a second. Using ground telescopes and the Hubble Space Telescope, Berger's team noticed an odd glow that lasted for days. Infrared light in the glow could be evidence that heavy elements like gold had spewed out of the cosmic crash, the researchers said.

The new work, which will appear in a future issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters, suggests gold was produced in a similar fashion in the Milky Way. It doesn't delve into how Earth was sprinkled with riches, but previous studies have suggested that a meteor shower may have delivered gold and other precious metals to the planet.

If the new study's interpretation is correct, "this would be truly very exciting news," said Stockholm University astrophysicist Stephan Rosswog, who led the earlier supercomputing effort but didn't have a role in the latest study.

More observations of gamma-ray bursts are needed, but it's looking more likely that mergers of neutron stars are "a major cauldron in which elements like gold are forged," Rosswog said.

Such flashes are thought to occur in the Milky Way about once every 100,000 years. Berger said it's unlikely another will happen in our galaxy in our lifetime. But satellites can often detect such eruptions in distant galaxies about once a month.

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yep, that stuff is so kewl. Gold came from space... Just like life.

(So when I look up into space with a telescope at some of the remnants of supernovas, I can say I lost money because of a supernova just like that one.)

thxs for posting
    COA
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Actually every atom on earth, including yours, were forged in the heart of stars. You are literally made of stardust.
    GMan
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's trippy that the gold and all the other elements came from the stars of previous generations, and that someday, billions of years from now, all the stuff in our current solar system will be part of a different star system. Also mind-blowing to note that almost all of the atoms that each of us is made of were once in other life forms on earth for a very long chain back in time for hundreds of millions of years, they just keep getting recycled. Someday, someone else will own all of your gold, and that gold will move forward in time without you.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually every atom on earth, including yours, were forged in the heart of stars. You are literally made of stardust. >>

Yes, I believe all visible matter is the result of exploding stats....star dust as it were.
    Kinda neat!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Everything except the hydrogen. That came with the Big Bang. (Helium and lithium too, but those are not a significant component of living things.)

The main atoms of life (carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, phosphorus) came mostly from normal-ish stars, which make those elements as they burn through their fuel. But the heavy elements (e.g. gold) have to come from something else. I had thought they were made in supernova, but apparently not so much.
  • Options
    When the sun goes Nova gold will survive. I'm pretty sure the slabs won't make it.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im made of gold.

That just took the luster off it. HAHAHAHAHAH
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The part most people do not understand is that the gold on earth did not 'come from stars'... it was formed when stars collided/went supernova etc and then the result formed galaxies, planets etc...... so, our gold coalesced right along with all the other materials we have. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

...a team from Europe using supercomputers suggested that gold, platinum and other heavy metals could be formed...

..and the observation bolsters the notion that gold in our jewelry....

..Infrared light in the glow could be evidence that heavy elements like gold....

The new work...suggests gold was produced in a similar fashion...in the Milky Way.....It doesn't delve into how Earth was sprinkled with riches, but previous studies have suggested that a meteor shower may have delivered gold and other precious metals to the planet.

If the new study's interpretation is correct, "this would be truly very exciting news,"..

So funny how so much speculation is blown up so quickly and that people think that life comes from outer space and cosmic collisions.....
    The Creator wrote The Book and told us where we came from. All you have to do is read it. It's ok to try and discover new things, that's why He gave us a desire for Knowledge. I think He gets a kick out of it when we discover new things, like SuperNovas in new galaxys. But to try and disprove Him, that's a no no.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    So funny how so much speculation is blown up so quickly and that people think that life comes from outer space and cosmic collisions.....
    The Creator wrote The Book and told us where we came from. All you have to do is read it. It's ok to try and discover new things, that's why He gave us a desire for Knowledge. I think He gets a kick out of it when we discover new things, like SuperNovas in new galaxys. But to try and disprove Him, that's a no no.

Please don't hijack the thread with YOUR beliefs
  • Options

<< <i>So funny how so much speculation is blown up so quickly and that people think that life comes from outer space and cosmic collisions.....

Please don't hijack the thread with YOUR beliefs >>

Like you did?

• Options
    It's my thread
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please don't hijack the thread with THE TRUTH >>

There, fixed it for you. Sorry for any hijacking that may have occurred.

-----------------

Instead of bumping this thread and in response to the OP's comment 2 posts down I'll just comment here; That is one of the most absurd things I've ever read. Your assumptions are a bit nutty.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>It's my thread >>

apologies, my bad

don't open doors that you want to stay closed. image

• Options
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That which was, before which was,
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Beliefs aside, it's still really cool how all the elements get formed and the processes needed to form them. Fyi, our sun is too small to go nova. It'll become a red giant 5 billion years from now. Give or take a year or 2. :-)
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting a story on grave robbers in Beverly Hills ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the gold on earth did not 'come from stars'... it was formed when stars collided/went supernova etc >>

How is that not 'from stars'?