Home Sports Talk

2013 Home Run Derby

Anyone else watching?

Sorry but Chris Davis looks a little too big. Lets just say I wouldn't be surprised.

Anywho, who is everyone going for? I'm going to say Prince again. Should be interesting too see how Harper holds up with these big guys.

Comments

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    i'll take davis...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else watching?

Sorry but Chris Davis looks a little too big. Lets just say I wouldn't be surprised. >>

Hes always been that big. He's only gained about 20 pounds since high school and that was 9 years ago. I think he's just naturally a big guy kinda like frank Thomas. I'll take Davis to win the derby tonight.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Yoenis Cespedes is absolutely killing it right now. OMG
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I'm not watching but Cespedes hit 17 in round one? That is too many! He should have paced instead.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    And congrats to Cespedes for winning the derby.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cespedes went wild tonight!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Man, they gotta speed that thing up. It goes on wayyy to long.
    Maybe put an ump in there to call strikes?

• << <i>Man, they gotta speed that thing up. It goes on wayyy to long.
    Maybe put an ump in there to call strikes? >>

Maybe get Chris Berman on the field to call balls & strikes....anything to keep him out of the broadcast booth. Can't stand him, sooooo annoying. It's not cute, it's not funny, it's not a catch-phrase, it's not part of the event - it's just stupid and it's time for it to go away.

• << <i>Anyone else watching?

Sorry but Chris Davis looks a little too big. Lets just say I wouldn't be surprised.

Anywho, who is everyone going for? I'm going to say Prince again. Should be interesting too see how Harper holds up with these big guys. >>

Cecil Fielder was way too big. Boog Powell probably got too big and his career fell apart a couple years too early. Then there is Tony Gwynn who looked horrible, but hit as well as almost anybody even at the very end. For a power hitter Chris Davis is the right size. If he were 30 pounds lighter there is no way he would be hitting as well as he is. Then there is Rich Garces. . .
  • Chris looks big but there's a difference between Tony Gwynn big and Chris Davis/Jason Giambi big. I guess its normal for me and others to have speculation. He says he gets tested often but to also think they don't have someone who's watching out for some of these players and giving them a heads up when these random tests come up with just be plain ignorance. They already said that there are PED's that can leave your system within 24 hrs. One thing I really like about Davis is that he does publicly acknowledged that 61 is the true number that matters.

• << <i>Chris looks big but there's a difference between Tony Gwynn big and Chris Davis/Jason Giambi big. >>

So long as they can hit well, they are not "too big." So long as they can hit well, there size is close to optimal. Gwynn was a Hall-of-Fame hitter into his 40s; Giambi was the best hitter in the league a couple of years and was still hitting well even at the very end of his $100 million contract; we all know how great Davis was

<< <i>They already said that there are PED's that can leave your system within 24 hrs >>

Who is "They?" Do "They" really even have a clue what they are talking about? The half-life may only be a few hours or less (for cocaine, it's only about one hour), but how long it stays inside our systems is variable based on size of dose, frequency of use, individual metabolism, tolerance, et cetera. That is true for all drugs