Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UGLIEST US coin?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
I nominate the 2c piece.

(classic styles please. The Shriver commem is worse than a lockwasher.)

Comments

• Options
    3c nickel
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    3c silver
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    The Carter Quarter!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I L O V E the 2-cent piece!! Matter of fact, I'll take any and all extras anyone who hates them has and wants to get rid of!image

For my money (no pun intended), the downright ugliest coin has to be the much-maligned SBA - - hands down!! NO artistic value whatsoever on the obverse, although I will give you the reverse is not bad.

- - Dave
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I L O V E the 2-cent piece!! Matter of fact, I'll take ny extras anyone who hates them has!image

For my money (no pun intended), the downright ugliest coin has to be the much-maligned SBA - - hands down!! NO artistic value whatsoever on the obverse, although I will give you the reverse is not bad.

- - Dave >>

I'm with ya Dave, love my 2 centers! image

Cheers,
    Ray
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3c nickel >>

Philistine!
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tie between

sba &

dde

dollars

oopsie, dosie, like the OP I too can edit my post

to

shield nickel

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Roosevelt Dime and Jefferson Nickel.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    The Peace dollar is a love-hate relationship contender for me. I hate how they are SO weakly struck, and how a nice AU example looks often times better than an MS 65. I know I'll get slapped in the face nominating this coin, but that's my 2 cents, oh yeah, the SBA is pretty bad too.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is the winner!!!
    Technically not a US Coin

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... Peace dollar.
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    SBA for sure
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree... Peace dollar. >>

Someone with a Morgan avatar disses the Peace dollar? image
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Darn, Ray!! I guess that means I won't be getting any 2-centers from you anytime soon?!image

- - Daveimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I L O V E the 2-cent piece!! Matter of fact, I'll take ny extras anyone who hates them has!image

- - Dave >>

I'm with ya Dave, love my 2 centers! image

Cheers,
    Ray >>

At least some people got class. image
    Just do it.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Sba by far!!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>tie between

sba &

dde

dollars

oopsie, dosie, like the OP I too can edit my post

to

shield nickel

image >>

Shield nickel!!!! Now wait just a minute!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree... Peace dollar. >>

Someone with a Morgan avatar disses the Peace dollar? image >>

Agree. At least the Peace dollar shows a woman. Miss Liberty on the Morgan dollars and the Barber dimes, quarters, and halves look too masculine.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we said U.S. coins that would include the commemoratives. To me this is worst design. The obverse has some interesting symbolism, but the reverse is just boring and unattractive. It is hard to believe that two designers were involved in devising this reverse.

imageimage

I was surprised to see the Two Cent piece here. I would not rate it as among the best, but it certainly is not the worst. Many observers have said that it's design cousin, the Shield nickel, was dull and looks like a tombstone. I would say that the nickel design is certainly less pleasing.

Two Cent Piece

imageimage

Shield Nickel

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    As for unattractive designs, I'd say that the lady who graces the obverse of your avatar is not very attractive, topstuf. In fact I'd say that she one tough looking broad. image

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I really didn't want to do this. Waited & waited for someone else to step up to the plate and take the bullet for me, but it looks like no one will do the dirty deed, so here goes . . .

Ding Ding Ding . . . WINNER ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>The Carter Quarter!

image >>

I never heard that expression before. Is that the SBA dollar?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dad-gummit, I can't find the Abe Vigoda Shriver photoshop obverse I did several years ago when this subject came up. Hoping someone else here copied it and squirreled it away for its shock value.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As for unattractive designs, I'd say that the lady who graces the obverse of your avatar is not very attractive, topstuf. In fact I'd say that she one tough looking broad. image >>

Looking at all of the coinage designs done by John Reich it's pretty easy to see he was a chubby chaser! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As for unattractive designs, I'd say that the lady who graces the obverse of your avatar is not very attractive, topstuf. In fact I'd say that she one tough looking broad. image >>

Looking at all of the coinage designs done by John Reich it's pretty easy to see he was a chubby chaser! image >>

Large women were considered to be quite attractive in the early 19th century. It probably had something to do with their ability to bear children. At any rate one of the John Reich's detractors made the comment that he based the design on his coins from an image of "his fat mistress."
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hands down........NO CONTEST......the SBA dollar.

Followed closely by:

IKE dollar
    Prez dollars and 1st lady crap!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hands down........NO CONTEST......the SBA dollar.

Followed closely by:

IKE dollar
    Prez dollars and 1st lady crap! >>

You didn't even mention Shriver?!?! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As for unattractive designs, I'd say that the lady who graces the obverse of your avatar is not very attractive, topstuf. In fact I'd say that she one tough looking broad. image

image >>

I was just about to make the same comment. It is one of the most unnattractive renditions of Liberty.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As for unattractive designs, I'd say that the lady who graces the obverse of your avatar is not very attractive, topstuf. In fact I'd say that she one tough looking broad. image

image >>

I was just about to make the same comment. It is one of the most unnattractive renditions of Liberty. >>

I think is it a he or a she or a heshe. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>You didn't even mention Shriver?!?! <<<

Yes, that is one butt ugly coin. But I didn't consider it since it is a commem and thus not an actual coin design to be used year after year.

There are lots of ugly commem's.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The beauty or ugliness of a coin design doesn't always relate to my interesting collecting a particular series. I like mid-date large cents, two-cent pieces, silver three-cent pieces, shield nickels, SBAs, and even Ikes. They aren't the best looking coins but I am still interested in having them in my collections. And think about some of the pre-federal issues. Many of them are not too nice on the eyes but they are fascinating (to me). The silver three-cent pieces are intriguing to me because the design is so peculiar.

• Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    For me, it's the Morgan obverse. Ugly, puffy face.
    DMPL pieces, though, make up for that ugliness and then some- they're really cool looking.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really didn't want to do this. Waited & waited for someone else to step up to the plate and take the bullet for me, but it looks like no one will do the dirty deed, so here goes . . .

+1 -- I don't think anything comes close to this.

Ding Ding Ding . . . WINNER ! ! !

HH >>

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Ugliest US coin ?:

Any zinc lincoln cent that has spent time in the ground.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She looks like a coin that only a collector or a pirate would love:

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    A couple of runner-ups . . .

. . . I mean, what's the deal with FEET coins ? ! ? ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the sba gets my vote
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ikes, SBAs. Some people think that Morgans are unattractive as they have a 'fat head'.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd revive this thread:

Far and away: Baseball Hall of Fame coin is seriously lame.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US Marshals are joining the club.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like Ike.
    Vplite99
  • Options
    Eunice wins by a mile. It is the only coin that when it is in my field of vision that I must turn away from. image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chain Cent is pretty scary.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Those who said the peace dollar should bite your tongues. That design was one of the most artful designs ever placed on US coins. DeFrancisci couldn't help that the mint didn't want to spend the money to strike them properly.

Definitely the SBA or the Eisenhower dollar have to be the tied winners here.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 3 cent pieces
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Probably something found in my collection...

Good for you.
  • Options
    The ugliest coins that I've seen are coins with dark splotchy toning.

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    In no particular order - walking liberty half, st Gaudens $20 gold, special Olympic dollar, Mercury dime, Franklin half,
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most beautiful: Peace dollar, St. Gaudens $20 (and $10), Buffalo, most everything in the Flowing Hair / Bust series, Walker, SLQ, Indian cent, Oregon, Pilgrim, Columbian, Lafayette, Sac dollar, platinum issues, PanPac.

Just OK: Seated, Barber, Morgan, Mercs, many early Federal gold issues, most classic commems, modern bullion issues/retreads, state and ATB quarters

Ugliest: Anything featuring a politician, SBA, Ike, Prez Bucks, shield nickel, virtually all modern commems.

The 2c piece features two reverse designs in my opinion, and is odd, but not ugly.

When it comes the single ugliest, the Eunice Shriver takes the concept of atrocious hideousness to new heights.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SBA are ugly

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file