Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Disappontment with eBay's probstein123

In recent years, I have spent several thousand dollars buying baseball cards from eBay’s probstein123. I have always received great items and great service. And I believe I’ve always received a little note from the seller thanking me for my business.

I noticed in a current eBay listing for probstein123 (item #370848671077) a baseball card that was mislabeled by PSA. It’s a 1963 Jell-O Mantle card that was incorrectly labeled by PSA as a 1963 Post Cereal. While the 1963 Jell-O and Post Cereal Mantle cards are similar in appearance, there are distinct differences. The Post Cereal cards are about ¼ inch wider than Jell-O cards. On the Post Cereal Mantle, much more of his hands show than on the Jell-O Mantle.

In addition, the Post Cereal Mantle is much less common than the Jell-O Mantle. And the Post Cereal card sells for much more than the Jell-O counterpart.

I have noted other instances where PSA has incorrectly labeled a Jell-O card as a Post Cereal card. There is currently another seller on eBay offering a raw Jell-O Mantle as a Post Cereal card (seller cards91 - item #151079092384).

As a loyal customer of probstein123, I thought I was doing him a favor last Saturday when I sent him a note through the eBay message system advising him of the mislabeled Mantle. I even included scans of the two cards with correct labeling. I was surprised when several days went by with no response from probstein123 and no listing change either.

Thinking maybe that my first message was not received or was overlooked, I sent a second message on Tuesday. Two more days later, I am surprised and disappointed that I have not received a response or noticed a change in the listing. I’m disappointed in that here’s a business that I have respect for that is knowingly selling a misidentified card. I was going to send a third message, but now I feel I am involving myself too much. It’s going from just doing probstein123 a favor to something bigger.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I overreacting? Should I report the item to eBay? Anyone on here have probstein123’s ear?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Rick is on this board and will see this message.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick is on this board and will see this message. >>

+1

Personally (please take no offense), I think you're overreacting a bit. I see mislabeled items all the time, but I really have never devoted more than a second on someone who has mistakenly listed an item.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    You may have better luck emailing him direct or calling rather than ebay messaging. I very seldom use ebay messaging. His number is usually listed in his auctions.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If this was a Post Cereal card in a Jell-o slab, would you be equally disappointed? or would you have strained your index finger clicking the Buy It Now button? image
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Rick I'm sure is a very busy man these days so I can see a delay in response.

However, I do see a problem with ignoring it and letting the auction complete.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I had a very similar experience back five years ago (not with Probstein) but with a pretty well known dealer. I sent him three emails alerting him about the reprint card being graded by PSA and to let him know that he needs to send the card back to PSA. After no response I called the guy and he was pretty angry with the fact that I alerted him to this. He thought I did not know what I was saying and that PSA was most likely right. I asked him to check w PSA next time he went to a show and present it to Joe. The card was taken back by PSa as a reprint.

A little shocked that some dealers miss the small things in business
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    If you are that concerned it may make more sense to contact PSA and give them the cert number as they are the ones that slabbed the card incorrectly. It should be their responsibility to recover the card and re-slab.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same experience with Rick earlier in the year. He had a 1989 football score error card that was mislabeled as the more rare version so I emailed him to let him know the misrepresentation and he chose to do nothing about it. I think he's just looking to get the most out of his auctions and leaves it up to the buyer to know what they're doing and I guess it hasn't affected my business with him as I bought some basketball packs in the last two weeks.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>If you are that concerned it may make more sense to contact PSA and give them the cert number as they are the ones that slabbed the card incorrectly. It should be their responsibility to recover the card and re-slab. >>

Sometimes you guys are so hard on people who start threads to make our community aware of issues. First off he used the term "disappointed" which I think fits very well. I'm sure Probstein123 cares about his reputation as much as any business and doesn't want to be known for selling opp (other peoples problems), maybe he doesn't answer his own Ebay messages. This thread was well written and quite educational and I learned something from opening it. I think his intentions here were noble and he was seeking advice on how to help someone not getting burned. As he states the variation between the two cards is a slight size difference, a buyer might not see that difference until the card is in hand, would Probstein123 like to refund it at that point or deal with it now?
  • Options

<< <i>I had the same experience with Rick earlier in the year. He had a 1989 football score error card that was mislabeled as the more rare version so I emailed him to let him know the misrepresentation and he chose to do nothing about it. I think he's just looking to get the most out of his auctions and leaves it up to the buyer to know what they're doing >>

Really? Oh man, I thought for sure he would have done good on such a easy fix.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the slab, not the card.... wait, is that how it goes?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess it hasn't affected my business with him as I bought some basketball packs in the last two weeks. >>

good to see your priorities are in solid order.

that's not meant as a swipe. it's a reminder to all that each and every one of us is looking out for #1 because that's just the nature of the business.

when someone purchases a "mistake" and properly identifies it, i suppose proper steps would be taken to correct it. just depends who wants to do the extra work.

obviously, it's not the person who is contracted to move product and deal with swatting flies later.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are that concerned it may make more sense to contact PSA and give them the cert number as they are the ones that slabbed the card incorrectly. It should be their responsibility to recover the card and re-slab. >>

Sometimes you guys are so hard on people who start threads to make our community aware of issues...... I think his intentions here were noble and he was seeking advice on how to help someone not getting burned. >>

And I gave him advice, which was escalate the issue to the TPG that slabbed the card. For all I (and Rick) knows the card is slabbed correctly. If not, seems to me that this is a PSA issue, especially considering the OP has noted other instances of the same mistake.

• Options
    Again, if it was an error in the buyer's favor, you would start a thread about it? Me thinks no.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Call him.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Would Rick respond if it was the other way around, an expensive card mislabeled as an inferior one?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that Rick would do the right thing and take down the auction and note the discrepancy in the title and listing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I recently sent Rick a message to tell him he had a players name misspelled in an EBay listing and he responded with a thank you in less than 24 hours
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    I communicate often with Rick. Dulce who is his top employee, that I work with directly whenever I consign, emailed me back. I was trying to get ahold of him through gmail. She's handling all of his emails and bookkeeping while he's away.

Sorry,as I'm doing the book keeping and using Mr. Probsteins email, I see you are emailing him but just wanted to let you know he is not in for today.

I always use gmail to talk with him as he's always on it. Or I just call him. Not sure about Ebay messages.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Quick email from Rick:

please post that I am away from the ebay at ebays powerseller conference in boston...
    I have 1700 emails that still need to be dealt with, my staff is managing without me...looks like psa made a mistake on the flip...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience as well. I pointed out that a card he was selling was clearly a reprint. He messaged back but didn't seemed to thrilled that I had pointed out his mistake. The card sold three days later.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I dump off all my mislabels to Probstein and let him deal with them. image
  • Options
    The auction for the mislabeled '63 Jell-O Mantle card has been ended early. I am pleased to see that and I will gladly continue to participate in probstein123's eBay auctions.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should edit the title of this thread. Maybe add issue solved?
  • Options
    hi, everyone, just came back form boston....I was at ebays top seller summit....
    anyway, I'm going thru 1800 emails now so if I haven't responded real-time to your requests please understand
    and I greatly appreciate those that judged me favorably when I was away and I'm glad the " mislabel-gate " drama is over...

Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options

<< <i>was it deep throat that lead to the end?? >>

???

imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe you should edit the title of this thread. Maybe add issue solved?

Agreed. You got your answer. Auction was removed. All is wonderful in the world of cards again. Why not correct the title and give Probstein his credit?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not correct the title and give Probstein his credit? >>

What!?!?!?!?!? Giving credit on the PSA Message Boards?!?!?!?!??!?! That is pure-t BLASPHEMY!!! Do you realize who you are talking to Marc????? Burn first, ask questions later!
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Another vote for changing the title. Do what is right image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why not correct the title and give Probstein his credit? >>

What!?!?!?!?!? Giving credit on the PSA Message Boards?!?!?!?!??!?! That is pure-t BLASPHEMY!!! Do you realize who you are talking to Marc????? Burn first, ask questions later! >>

Bobby are you saying you deserve some kind of credit? You get plenty, believe me. Just probably not the same kind you're looking for.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your kind words Storm Trooper. Now OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!! (Thwack)....oh...wait....wrong person.....can we get a do-over??
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iconic shot of Harry Reems
  • Options
    Another vote for changing the title. Do what is right
    ==> thanks for the support....I would appreciate the title being changed as well...
    we posted a card holdered by psa with an error on the flip ( lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my !! ) , I was away , drama started, mike kelley contacted me, we ended the auction,
    I'm back...its wrap as soon as that title is changed, or keep the title and just change all the content of the thread with some better drama...I'm sure that would be exciting too...
    ==> image
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    I thought Probstien123 was a big company, I didn't realize it was more of a one man show. Totally understandable that since the guy wasn't available that this didn't get resolved right away. Also, kudos to you Mr.Probstien for having all your contact information readily available to anyone you might want to contact you in the future. Also, do you do accept all consignments or just sports cards?
  • Options
    Also, do you do accept all consignments or just sports cards?
    ==> we do everything...comics, coins, cards, toys, etc ...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options

<< <i>Also, do you do accept all consignments or just sports cards?
    ==> we do everything...comics, coins, cards, toys, etc ... >>

What about antiques? ...porcelain dolls, silver spoon collection, etc...
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Agreed.. Title change. Everything was handled well IMO
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Rick is a great seller. He always answers important questions in a timely manner. Every time I have called him he has responded right away.

I'm sure all of us at CU are grateful for Rick and consider him an asset to the hobby.

aconte
  • Options
    What about antiques? ...porcelain dolls, silver spoon collection, etc...
    ==> yes
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Disappontment >>

Leave it, makes no sense anyway...

Good for you.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Just finished my first consignment with Rick.

Everything went smooth.

Happy with auction pics and ending prices.

I don't sell a lot but will try to have a package every couple of months to send him.

Joe