Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with Hudson/Fulton Medal...

I have a huge Hudson medal pictured below. This is a thing of beauty. Its huge and clean with hints of toning. I bought it in the original cardboard box and had it graded at NGC. I have never seen one this pristine or even one graded for that point. It weighs about a pound in the NGC holder. Does anyone have familiarity with this medal and its possible value? Any info would be appreciated.

[URL=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/jmj3esq/media/IMG_4584.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/jmj3esq/media/Hudsonbr_zpsbd8aa788.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    Interesting piece. I couldn't tell you much other than that is a huge holder. image
    Just do it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice medal....no information.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this information on THIS website:

This 76 mm, 1909 medal was struck by the American Numismatic Society as the official medal for the Hudson-Fulton celebration. It was designed by E. Fuchs in a low-relief style typical of the period. The obverse commemorates the centenary of steamboat navigation on the Hudson (that's Robert Fulton in the cartouche above the seated ladies). The reverse commemorates the 300th anniversay of the discovery of the Hudson by Hendrik Hudson (that's him on deck, center). The medal was struck in gold, silver, silver-plated, bronze, and aluminum. Thomas Elder struck a Hendrik Hudson Daalder and a Robert Fulton Dollar that are included in so-called dollar collections.

I also happen to have this elongated Indian cent.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    I bet Jeff could help you with value if you have not found out yet. After all he is the "So-Called Guy" and he knows the value of these medals.
    Email him, he is extremely busy but he will get back to you.

Cecilia
    Jeff Shevlin
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Having the original box adds value, but it is still likely valued at under $300. They should be worth more, but it is one of those "supply/demand" scenarios; just not enough demand even though the supply is limited. Beautiful medal! The combination of beauty, history, and the ties to the ANS make this an important medal, in my opinion.

Here's one at Stack's that sold for $126 on an estimate of $750. Stack's Auction

This is not a so-called dollar, due to size.

Heritage Auctions auctioned a pair of uniface die trails of the same medal in 2008, but they did not sell. Interesting information in the cataloger's description. I was cataloging Heritage's medals and tokens at that time, but I do not recall cataloging these pieces.
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    I bought one at a yard sale in Auburn,NY probably 40 years ago for a couple of bucks- used it mainly as a paper weight
    though. It had a rim ding, but otherwise was in nice shape- sold it on e-bay maybe 7 years ago and
    sold for slightly over $100. who knew?
    palmer
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best guess is 250- and possibly more if the box is nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoke with a former exonumia cataloguer from Stack's. He said the medal is worth about $75-100, and the box something extra depending onn condition.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with 75-100 range for the smaller size- this looks to be 100mm. I thought the larger size was more difficult to find.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medal.
    Thanks for the info.
    Here is another Hudson/Fulton medal I picked up a few years back for anyone interested.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I just sold mine in NGC MS64 for right about $250.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver composition of the 50 mm size of this design is the prize. The gold composition strikes are so rare as to be considered NC.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The silver composition of the 50 mm size of this design is the prize. The gold composition strikes are so rare as to be considered NC. >>

What does NC mean?

It's pretty cool that one of the 9 or 10 gold ones is available now.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NC=non-collectible.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NC=non-collectible. >>

Thanks keets. I'm guessing these can't be considered NC anymore given that one has now been available in two auction venues, Spinks and eBay. There are, after all, many collectible pieces that are unique.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file