Home Metal Detecting

old silver ring

hit the old dump today. brown things are called insulator strains, worth a few bucks each. silver plate spoon from Colorado.

friend sifting
nice surprise, first ring from this site.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bravo! Nice ring find. image

I rather like the old medicine bottle, too, and the action shot.

Unlike with most folks, I would imagine being "down in the dumps" describes a happy condition for you, huh. image

I know I'd be as happy as a pig in mud to have some places like that to dig in.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    you should have some very old ones. people had to have a place to dump they're trash. refer to old maps and find out where the streams, rivers, ravines, valleys existed or may still exist. some old stream beds may have been filled in and built over. people back then always dumped near water or railroad properties. do a search on youtube for privy digging.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great ring....do you have a picture of it cleaned up?? Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great ring....do you have a picture of it cleaned up?? Cheers, RickO >>

yes, id love to take a better look at that one image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you should have some very old ones. people had to have a place to dump they're trash. refer to old maps and find out where the streams, rivers, ravines, valleys existed or may still exist. some old stream beds may have been filled in and built over. people back then always dumped near water or railroad properties. do a search on youtube for privy digging. >>

Actually, there are places out in the marshes here, along the major rivers, where the oceangoing ships would dump their ballast. You need a boat to get to most of these "ballast islands", and they're inhospitable places full of skeeters, alligators, and rattlesnakes, but I've seen some neat early stuff that people have found in them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    that ring is beautiful, any idea on age? Any markings?
  • That's s pretty cool ring! What kind of stone is it??
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's s pretty cool ring! What kind of stone is it?? >>

Just perusing the boards here, as I'm beginning to have a desire for "buried" treasures via "metal detecting".
    I had the same question and thought it looked like garnet.