Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1 of 1 1981 TCMA Sandberg PSA 10 spotted on the bay

Was an auction with starting bid at $249 and gone in about 2 hours after listed bc "error in the listing." I wonder what it sold for. Hope he realized it was a 1/1 as he didn't mention that it in his auction description.

1981 Sanberg PSA 10 1/1

Comments

• mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Was an auction with starting bid at $249 and gone in about 2 hours after listed bc "error in the listing." I wonder what it sold for. Hope he realized it was a 1/1 as he didn't mention that it in his auction description.

1981 Sanberg PSA 10 1/1 >>

Looks like he relisted it

Relisted

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably got a few emails asking him to end it early for a high price and started it over.

What would you estimate this should sell for?
  • MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He probably got a few emails asking him to end it early for a high price and started it over.

What would you estimate this should sell for? >>

Considering it is a 1/1, I think it isn't that far off at 2k. If it was a 1/1 1980 TCMA Reading PSA 10 (pop 0 right now out of about 60 total graded by the big 3 TPG's), I wouldn't have blinked to hit the BIN at 2k (and would have went without beer for a month or 2 to pay it off, lol.) Issue for the 1981 is it isnt as rare as the 1980 so will it stay 1/1? Abe Froman should by it!
    5 pending offers I like it! This should be sold soon I would think.
  • RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I have an offer in on this one. I collect Sandberg, especially the earlier issues. I noticed the pop went from 0 to 1 about 3 weeks ago. I was waiting for this auction, as all of the crazy Sandberg guys that sub cards said they did not land it in the 10.

The card is not rare, nor is it a traditionally condition sensitive card. What makes this one so hard in a 10 is an inherent "tilt", which naturally leads to centering issues. I have a very nice example in a 9, and would love one in a 10. I placed a solid offer and he countered, but it is just too rich for me at this time. I can see this going for greater than $1,000. That said, it will not stay a pop 1 in my opinion.

The 1980 TCMA, in a theoretical 10, would be a steal at 2 grand.
    Sold for $1,700.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sold for $1,700. >>

That number feels a little low to me. I don't necessarily share the opinion of some other posters who feel that there will likely be more 10's coming out soon. I won't pretend to know the production run of 1981 TCMA, but its not much. I've been collecting minor league stuff for 20+ years and you just don't run into those TCMA sets often. My gut tells me that they are far rarer than the mid 80's Procards issues. I can see this card maybe getting a few more 10's over the next few years, but I highly doubt there will ever be more than 5 or so of them, if that many.

Additionally, there are a ton of Sandberg fans out there. If a 10 was easy to come by, why did it take this long to find just 1 copy? We're not in the early stages of the grading game anymore. If a Sandberg card like this is a pop 1 in 2013, its a tough card.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    $1,700 for sandberg????

Sorry but the guy in my opinion should not be in the HOF. Someone just lost a lot of money.

Dave
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1,700 for sandberg????

Sorry but the guy in my opinion should not be in the HOF. Someone just lost a lot of money.

Dave >>

Sandberg not a HOF'er? C'mon. 9-time Gold Glove winner, an MVP, 7-time Silver Slugger, 5 seasons of 26+ HRs, and so on.

The guy is a no-brainer HOF'er.

• << <i>$1,700 for sandberg????

Dave >>

Could you name 10 second baseman better than him?
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    He's in the top 10. I think he's good and he sneaks right around 10 but only because of his defense.

Think about it....per war there's guys like

Nap lajoie
    Rogers Hornsby
    Eddie Collins
    Frankie Frisch
    im probably missing one or two more here

Post war Vintage there's...
    Jackie Robinson
    Joe Morgan

Modern (here's where the debate starts)
    Alomar
    Biggio
    Sandberg of course
    Alfonso Soriano (Played 5 years at 2nd base....was a monster slugger but defense average)
    And even Robinson Cano (even though he has years left to play...all signs point to posting better numbers and having more of an impact than sandberg)

He is a HOF player...but defense is what puts him over the top.

Regarding card value...as with any card, we the collector decide his value. In sandbergs case, he's insanely popular with cubs fans and that drives his card value through the roof.
    Think about it ....Alomar and biggio aren't even in the same league price-wise yet they had comparable careers.

Is his RC worth $1700 just on merit and stats.....IMO no.
    The only BGS 9.5 sold for $1,200 so there seems to be strong interest in this card in top grade.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$1,700 for sandberg????

Dave >>

Sandberg not a HOF'er? C'mon. 9-time Gold Glove winner, an MVP, 7-time Silver Slugger, 5 seasons of 26+ HRs, and so on.

The guy is a no-brainer HOF'er. >>

agreed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06