Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Topps Cello Box Break - BBCE

So, I got my box in yesterday from BBCE. I figured I'd have some fun this morning and bust it open. Now, I realize with 792 cards in the set and getting 672 cards in a box it is mathematically impossible to get all of the cards you're looking for. So, of the "Big 4" in the set (Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn & Ripken 2nd year) I pulled 1 Ripken (off-center) and 2 Sandbergs (2nd one came in the last pack). Kind of bummed. On a positive note, I didn't get nearly as many doubles/triples in the box as I was expecting. Kind of makes me want to buy another box in the hopes of having better luck. image

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭
    If your goal is a set, then just buy one. If the ripping of packs is your enjoyment then that is great. If the goal is to have the set you should be able to get on pretty cheap on ebay or here, and then you can get some of the better cards already graded very reasonably. They way boxes have risen lately it is a fools game if you are just breaking them for a set. The "value" is in the unopened product right now.
  • Options
    Point taken. I guess I was bored and figured "what the heck?" I'm not overly concerned with having the set, as it was just me being bored and wanting to see what I could get. Just wanted to chime in on what I got, or lack thereof. I still have a couple boxes of the '83 Michigan "test pack", so I think I'll refrain from opening anymore.
  • Options
    Sounds fun! Don't listen to those who say money is everything because it's not. Being older you start to realize that while unopened material can be a nice investment, a fun experience can be an even better one.

If it's within your budget to buy more and rip then I think you should go for it! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

- John
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭
    ^^ That ^^ is what I meant by

<< <i>If the ripping of packs is your enjoyment then that is great >>

, but it sounded like it the original post like the set may have been a goal, an expensive one if that. Glad to see that the Michigan packs are being spared. There is plenty of new stuff to rip if the thrill and "hits" are the goal. I think I'd hit some Target or WalMart blasters if I was bored. Some of the hits are reallly nice and the thrill is the same to me. I don't currently own and vintage wax, but cracking it because of boredom seems counter productive to me.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    I am glad you got the thrill of opening because you were bored. I bought a box too of the 83 cello for my unopened collection as that is the value. There is now one less box out of that case. They just got a tiny bit more scarce lol. image
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Bummed on 2 Sandbergs??? Nice hits

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Bummed on 2 Sandbergs??? Nice hits >>

lol. Sorry. I think it all stems back to me being a kid. The only "good" card I ever had from the '83 set was the Sandberg, so to open up the box and only get him again... the Boggs & Gwynn must be elusive to me.

@gameusedhoop -- The reason why I brought up how many cards were in the set was to showcase the odds against being able to snag all of the best cards in one box. I'm not necessarily looking to complete the set, but it would've been cool to get more of the better cards.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    That's a solid rip in my eyes image