Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE: I'm thinking about cutting back a bit......

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
When they first came out, it was an interesting idea for me to go to the bank or the Fed window with a fellow employee or two, and get 3 rolls of each state quarter - - 1 for each of my sons to keep intact, and a last one to crack open to fill all folders & trade for singles of the other mintmark. I worked downtown, the walk was healthy, and the quarters were widely available.

Over time, I started working from home, we were way too busy to walk at lunch anyway, and rolls of each state (and especially territory) became scarcer & scarcer. But I managed to either find at banks or trade for/buy the remaining rolls we had missed out on over the 11-year run.

So now, each son has a complete set of 56 (corrected) state quarter OBR's (P or D... didn't matter). But they're bulky to move from where they're stored once the boys go out on their own, and nothing really to look at from an aesthetic sense. It was a challenge collecting them, and I did have to pay extra to obtain some of the scarcer rolls, but now I'm wondering if they're really worth holding onto....

One side says they're already in-hand, so why get rid of them, especially if they'd be hard to sell/ship to ever recapture my investment. The other side says they're not the special Mint-issued rolls, and most are not likely to appreciate much over face anyway, even if I did find a buyer, so why not just cash them in to give the kids the money or use to buy something else, like ASE's, for them.

What are everyone's thoughts? Should they stay, or should they go?

Thanks!

- - Dave

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go....ASE's would be better...of course the boys would likely prefer the cash...or get an AGE as a gift for when they move out... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    You could search them for varieties and errors and then turn them in to the bank. Wait a little while longer and ASE's will be even cheaper then they are now. IMHO
  • Options
    With my eyesight issues, there's no way I could look for varieties, nor really even know where to start. Plus, we're not varieties collectors - - just fill holes in Whitman blue folders usually. In this case, what started as a lark turned into a "completion obsession". And with the kids having college lives of their own, they have no time to search, either.

I figure whatever excess I have sunk into some of the harder-to-find rolls (like GA?) are "lost", unless they still hold such premiums - - do they? - - and I could find someone to buy them from me after all S&H, etc..... Or if anyone at the local coin show would give me a better deal than just turning them into the bank.

And I've always liked the ASE's, just not their premium. I guess I could also go after my other love - - Morgans, Peace, & Walkers. Over time, they SHOULD do better than the quarters......

But might it still make sense just to hold onto the quarters a little longer to see where they go (since they're always spendable)? Or has their time come & gone?

Thx!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    It appears that a lot of folks are finding themselves with that same dilemma. Checking my pocket change, recently I'm finding nearly all dates in what looks like mint, or nearly mint condition. Anyone else noticing this?

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afraid the constant additions to the types to collect is becoming like the stamps too many for the collectors to keep so they just give up and send them out till no one cares what they are.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going through the same thought process with the prezzy bucks...right now it's just a heavy adjunct to my savings account. If I really ever need the money, off to the bank they'll go. Your key rolls should have some value to dealers like Littleton, who are always selling sets, but whether the premium would even cover shipping, who knows? Call and ask them and then meet them at a show someday and save the shipping bucks.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Thx, Leon!

As a small-time collector, the only show I ever attend is the monthly local show, which never has any of the "big-boys" there. I suppose I could go to the show one month and ask some of the dealers there who offer similar rolls what they'd pay for what I have (entire collection, or selected rolls), and either bring those to the next month's show, or bring them to their shop.....

Thx!

- - Dave
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also go the fleebay route for the more scarce dates, set them up as fixed price auctions and see if you find any buyers. Little cost/time and you might get lucky.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about heading over to the local monthly coin show to check out a dealer or two's buy/sell price list for similar rolls and see what he'd offer me for the whole bunch.... and either bring them to the next show or arrange to sell before then to whomever, if I like what I hear.image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When some collectors bring them in to the shop that i hang out at they tell them to spend them or they will give them face for them. That does not look good for the collector. After i saw that for a bit i stoped buying them coins, But i do buy the 'S' mint coins becuse the only one's that can get them are the collectors that buy them from the mint and it's only for a mo or two now that will be a special coin. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Still debating what to do with my State/Territory Quarter rolls ................

Can anyone point me towards:
    (1) a good website that lists current buy/sell prices for OBW (vs Mint-packaged) rolls for a good idea which states/mints carry any premium, and
    (2) a good website detailing (with pics) all varieties and values?

Thanks in advance!

- - Dave image

(also welcoming any serious offers!)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are 56 state quarters rolls, not 55.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Still debating what to do with my State/Territory Quarter rolls ................

Can anyone point me towards:
    (1) a good website that lists current buy/sell prices for OBW (vs Mint-packaged) rolls for a good idea which states/mints carry any premium, and
    (2) a good website detailing (with pics) all varieties and values?

Thanks in advance!

- - Dave image

(also welcoming any serious offers!) >>

How much time before the local show.? I'm not in the right frame of mind to work up an offer today, but maybe next saturday. It won't pretty as many rolls sell near face.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct.... a slip on my part. Although, I guess to be truly accurate, one should say there are 50 state, 1 District, and 5 Territory/Possession quarters...... image
  • Options
    Regarding time till the next coin show, I just missed the Philly Whitman show this week, and can't make it to the local one today either, so I'm not going to get them from storage nor are they going anywhere anytime soon.

As you indicated, I'm sure many rolls are going near face. Unless I wanted to take the time to open and sell coins individually (and slowly) on eBay, any premium I'd make on the more desired rolls could be eaten-up by shipping costs if not hand-delivered locally, and most any offer made would have to consider the impact of shipping as well.... so I'm not figuring on selling any of the rolls anytime soon.....

Add to the fact that this will have to be an "all-or-nothing" decision....... once I open or sell one item/roll, it'll no longer be a full collection left to sell or hold onto.... this will make my pulling the trigger harder.

Of course, I guess I can look for (although quite likely won't find) a local dealer/collector who would accept rolls (at a premium) in exchange for Morgans/Peace/Walkers I still need......

Inertia is a wonderful thing!!image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get rid of them and either use the cash to get something that will go up in value or put the cash into a fund for the kids
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I would still go through them and look for errors and then turn them into the bank.
  • Options
    Another option is to try and find some inexpensive state quarter albums in bulk, put the coins in the folders or albums and sell them on Ebay, BST or locally. Many of those that buy rolls do what is outlined, put them into sets and sell the complete sets. On Ebay they sometimes fetch a decent premium over face value, like face +50% to double face value. How much is your time worth? How about enlisting the kids in the project? Explain to them what needs to be done. Post office trips might be a significant time factor. Can the kids do that part too?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change course, don't cut back. Swap out for better or different. Something with stored value, i.e., Silver proof sets, tenth oz gold eagle proofs, commemorative silver or a few "classics".
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was doing the same for the four grandkids (actually only had three grandkids so the fourth roll was for me
    until grandkid number four appeared!). About 8 years into it my storage was really shrunk by these rolls. I bailed
    and offered them to my local B&M who said they wanted some of them. They bailed and I ended up checking
    the few rolls that I knew might have errors (Minn, Wisc, etc) and did not get lucky at all. So, ended up spending
    the whole accumulation.
    Grandkids will now get money instead.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    "Kids" (I guess I should stop calling them that, now) are off at college, and busy doing so many things that they have no time to help.

My time (while almost unlimited, due to "retirement") is also limited by my vision issues, which makes staring at coins (especially with glare off lights) hard to take for long, and has resulted in less pleasure than before in looking thru coins, unfortunately. It also makes runs for supplies (folders) or the Post Office less frequent/easy as well.

And from what I'm seeing with postal rates, shipping completed folders would be expensive as well, and maybe not do-able on a large scale for me, nor attractively priced for potential customers. Seems like many people have had their fill of the series.....

With all that, after all is said & done, I'm thinking I might do better locally at a show with some of the more valuable rolls or ones with potential errors/varieties, especially if I offer the rolls as 2 complete sets.

Like I said, "inertia is a wonderful thing!" image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The children are supposed to take care of us when we are old and incapable of that. They'll be adults by then and statehood quarters won't be enough to buy diapers.
    Well, it all "depends". image You got me thinkin' old man. image
  • Options
    I hear you!!image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending upon how much you value your time, effort and storage, I would simply tell you to use them as cash since that is truly all they are.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PM sent
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread is a few months old, but Dave, I am just going through the same process.
    I pulled out ~$1000 in SHQ rolls from the bank (unopened) and will likely put them through the counting machine in the coming few weeks. Cat had medical emergency of ~$4000+ in the last 2 months so I decided to use those to pay for it as they have been sitting there and nothing will happen with them. I was going to leave them for my son, many years down the road, as something that may be fun for him or his kids, but at the end of the day, I decided to make a different choice.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang....

Thread made me look at a few things more and I think I will pare down the presidential dollar tokens as well. Another grand or so tied up in those.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should go!
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file