Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A modest upgrade, 1793 half cent

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
This is what I now have, not without it's issues, but does reside in a straight grade ANACS holder, for what it's worth.

My old one.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! Lots of meat left on that obverse! Congrats!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    When you say it it resides in a "straight grade" ANACS holder, are you saying they called it problem-free? image

Nice upgrade, btw. Very strong obverse image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it, too. Coingratulations on the upgrade.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old copper..something captivating about it....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to have exceptionally good color and surfaces on the obverse, compared to other '93's I've seen.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coin! I think you found a real winner there. image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the upgrade!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    While the first might have more value with a clear bold date, I prefer your original one. Both are far supiror to any 18th cen copper I own.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice upgrade, i like
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    terrific new addition! for those that don't seem to appreciate the upgrade, or have trouble believing that it graded they must not understand the nuance of grading those early half cents......great piece!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Apparently the roughness is mostly planchet flaws. I like the new one much more, the old one had virtually nothing, what did exist was very blended with the rest of the coin.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a most of the reverse cavities are as-made, though it's hard to prove one way or another. Planchet quality control was not exactly top-notch back then.
  • Options

<< <i>terrific new addition! for those that don't seem to appreciate the upgrade, or have trouble believing that it graded they must not understand the nuance of grading those early half cents......great piece! >>

Or the loose-ness of the plastic it is in. I understand the nuances of grading those and with that in mind understand why it might have been given a net grade years ago but do not think it would make a graded holder in today's market. It has the classic look of a conserved dug piece IMO and I doubt very much that those are all plachet voids. If you wanted details it is a great way to get them on a budget but I just hope the OP didn't pay graded prices no matter what the holder says.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoothness and lack of porosity and corrosion especially on the obverse is not indicative of a dug piece. The first example actually appears to be a bit more porous than the second, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The original piece is in PCGS plastic, it grades as an PO1.

The second one resides in a newer ANACS holder. It is in a problem free holder, but has been silently net graded as an FA2.

I am a big fan of both coins (mostly because I was able to afford them, and at the price there is a lot of value in my opinion.)
    The PO1 is one of the nicest I've seen at the grade level (if such can be said for such a low grade.) The FA2 is just awesome for the grade, does another coin with a full obverse even exist at that price level?
  • Options
    I'd much rather have the one with the clear date.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is mine. It came in an old Whitman Blue Book.

image[/URL]

I could care less that it is corroded.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade! Congrats!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins. That AG looks like it would bring G money easily. A lot of detail where it is wanted. IMO
  • Options
    okracerokracer Posts: 436

I'd take it...nice coin!

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    Just got the coin certified by PCGS, straight grade FA2, I expected an AG3 since the obverse is so strong, but silently net graded FA2 is not surprising to me. Looks like PCGS thinks most of the reverse mess is also mint-made planchet flaws. I'm pleased, but honestly would prefer an AG! (Shoot, while I'm at it I might as well wish for a G4.)
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ill never understand copper grading.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Keep on climbing 1 grade at the time. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Keep on climbing 1 grade at the time. image >>

Yeah, that's probably the way it's going to go!
  • Options

<< <i>Ill never understand copper grading. >>

Do you collect early copper? Anything earlier than 1838 has different standards and nuances than later coins, especially if it's made of copper.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I like your new coin. I would grade it Good-6 on the obverse and Poor-1 on the reverse.
    Fair-2 for an overall grade seems an accurate compromise. Nice upgrade!
  • Options

<< <i>I like your new coin. I would grade it Good-6 on the obverse and Poor-1 on the reverse.
    Fair-2 for an overall grade seems an accurate compromise. Nice upgrade! >>

On the nose!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file