Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Platinum coinage designs

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else think that the platinum reverse represents some of the best work that the mint has produced over the past several years? I think some would make great circulating designs if they ever decided to revise the current designs.

Im particularly fond of the 2004 reverse!

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the '08 reverse - too bad I had to return it for a refund because the coin was damaged in the mint packaging. I really like how the designs change often too.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree they are far superior to circulating coinage.... I do wish we would have more art on our circulating coinage, they represent America poorly. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree they are far superior to circulating coinage.... I do wish we would have more art on our circulating coinage, they represent America poorly. Cheers, RickO >>

When you replace ideals with political personages then the slide begins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    04-08 are some of the best coin designs of the last 50 years. The newer ones seem to be more PC crap though.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the designs - absolutely the best of all Modern U.S. coinage with the sole exception of the UHR.

The past few years of utter P.C. garbage are notable exceptions.

The 2013 issue is a dramatic turn away from the P.C. cra*. I just love that design. It reminds me of the allegorical designs on the Educational Series notes.

I have not bought any plats since '08 and likely won't anytime soon.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    of course its only the proof coins that are nice, but I agree they are very nice.

I like the 1999 with the alligator crawling out of the river.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file