Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone purchased or sold coins through Amazon recently?

Amazon seems like they are beginning to rival EBAY, but the amount of coins selling on Amazon seems to be considerably smaller compared to the overall sales volume of the site. Has anyone had any experience buying or selling on this site?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None all I use it for is Kindle books.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know that they sold coins. You learn something new all the time.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    I was surprised myself, the selection seems to be somewhat limited and the search feature seems a little rough but at least it is an alternative
    All the best,

Rob

• Options
    use it all the time. they need to overhaul the listing templets though. :
    Just do it.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For non coin purchases I have started using Amazon instead of eBay, way less hassle.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not used Amazon for coins. Bought a couple gifts through there after signing up to use FB recently. That worked like snot in a hanky.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never. But I did find a vendor of Corrosion Intercept zip lock bags ! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>For non coin purchases I have started using Amazon instead of eBay, way less hassle. >>

Any reason why you are not purchasing coins through Amazon? Such as inadequate selection or inadequate buyer protection?
    All the best,

Rob

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any stories on how successful selling is on Amazon for coins? What are their listing fees, final value fees, etc.?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭
    Didn't know they sold coins. Went to Amazon, found coins and ordered 25 Merc dimes @ .10 apiece. Went to checkout, item was 2.50 plus $126 shipping......uh..maybe not....

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know the site was still selling coins.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont use amazon and didnt know that they sold coins. ya learn something everyday
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of made a sales rep of theirs very upset in a conference call. She was trying to say how much easier it was to list things and that it would be better then ebay for us. I asked her to search for 1895 O Barber Dime on amazon and to try it on Ebay and added something to the effect of who ever has more results will get my business. It was shortly after that I left the room and let the company VP(knows nothing about coins) go over numbers with her.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not used Amazon to buy or sell coins. My motivation would be to sell coins, but concerned if site generates adequate traffic vs Ebay.

Ebay / Paypal / Shipping costs me 15% of sales at the very least. And this is before the fixed costs of running the business. I simply put cost and 30% margin (pct of sales) in my excel spreadsheet as a minimum sell price In the other column is market retail and the higher of the two is selected. Coins where I have a lot of room (market retail is way over minimum sell) I may have BIN / Make offer. I have had coins sell just after one day of being listed sell I did not expect to sell anytime soon (bc selling price slightly over market retail bc of minimum markup requirements to achieve proper retail pricing). Was I pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for sharing - Perhaps I should give amazon another look. I am not worried about their search feature in looking up some ultra rarity. All I want is easy listing and low seller fees. My focus is sales volume and making a decent ROI on sales. One thing I would be curious about with amazon - are there more high buyers (or larger percentage) or people who pay good retail money vs ebay? Think I will list some proof sets there. These are good sellers to the BD / anniversary market. Truly fungible items like USM products in which one has a few of could be listed on both Amazon and Ebay. Modern Silver PF sets and PF ASE's have been a great marketing area for me on the Bay.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

<< <i>Any stories on how successful selling is on Amazon for coins? What are their listing fees, final value fees, etc.? >>

That is exactly what I am hoping to find out as well. I see quite a bit of supplies on here and a few coins.

I heard the final value fees are similar.
    All the best,

Rob

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I spent way too much time, after seeing this thread, looking for coins to buy on Amazon. I finally found coins under the heading "Toys and Games". There was hardly anything listed, and most listings referred one to the dealers web site. Total waste of time. JMHO

I should mention that I place numerous orders through Amazon, found them to be the best place to buy many many things. The shipping has also been great, items packaged well, and speedy.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file