Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best Multi-Face RC

A lot of RCs starting in the early 60s feature more than one rookie. All valuable multi-face RCs are valuable based on only one of the cards occupants...but what multi-face RC is most impressive factoring in all of the card's occupants? The lowest performing member of the card brings it down, so for instance a HOFer w/ someone who never played in the big leagues would not be in the discussion.

I'm not much of a RC collector myself, so wouldnt know where to start, but am interested in Others' thoughts.
Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.

Comments

• Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Koosman was no joke, and he's with Ryan. Though Molitor/Trammel is probably the obvious choice. Cey was solid with Schmidt as well.

Sleeper pick: 1986 Sportflics Big Six with Canseco/Greenwell/Tartabull image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Well, we all know about Nolan Ryan ... one of the best to ever pitch in MLB.

However, Jerry Koosman had a nice playing career as well. He was an important piece in the Mets winning their first World Series in 1969, going 17-9 with a 2.28 ERA. He was a 20 game winner twice and is #70 on the all time wins list with 222.
    Edited to add: This card is NOT mine.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Molitor/Trammell has to be the pick here. In addition to those guys, U.L. Washington carved out a nice little career in K.C. Plus it's just fun to say "U.L. Washington".

Honorable mention to Schmidt/Cey and Fisk/Cooper.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    The '78 Rookie catchers with Murphy, Parrish, Whitt and Diaz. Yes, it isn't Dale Murphy's rookie, but he appears on it. All four players were all stars at one point or another in their career.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i like the '71T Baylor/Baker combo and Paciorek was no slouch, either.
  • Options

<< <i>The '78 Rookie catchers with Murphy, Parrish, Whitt and Diaz. Yes, it isn't Dale Murphy's rookie, but he appears on it. All four players were all stars at one point or another in their career. >>

+1 for Parrish & went to the same HS as Whitt
  • Options
    Dbone you selling that beautiful Ryan? image
  • Options
    BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    No question the Bird Magic is the best. Two of the best basketball players of all time and most popular.
  • Options
    Second best After Molitor / Trammell is probably Piazza / Delgado

Cecil Cooper is perhaps the second best player to receive zero Hall-of-Fame votes

Gene Tenace / Vida Blue is my personal favorite
  • Options
    Oh for sure if we are talking all sportscards, it's Bird/Magic by a few light years.
  • Options
    BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    MattyC let me know if you ever want to sell your Bird/Magic.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    If you're talking all sports...no contest bird magic

I still think in baseball it's another no contest....Ryan/Koosman

I mean look at all the records Ryan broke.. Records that will last a long time. Then Koosman had a very solid career as already mentioned.

Molitor and trammel is a good card...but I couldn't put it in the same league.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the criteria is the lowest performing member brings the card down, then I'd have to eliminate the Molitor/Trammell RC due to Mickey Klutts. I'd also have to eliminate the Bird/Magic card because it's a league leader card and not a RC. Dr. J was far removed from being a rookie in 1980. That probably leaves the Ryan/Koosman as the best true multi-player RC of all time.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2001 TT Pujols/Ichiro was an XRC, otherwise it would be in the running...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Dbone you selling that beautiful Ryan? image >>

Matty ... I WISH it were mine! Took the pic off the Internet. (I should have mentioned that ... think I will edit my original post and add that in.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496

<< <i>Well, we all know about Nolan Ryan ... one of the best to ever pitch in MLB.

However, Jerry Koosman had a nice playing career as well. He was an important piece in the Mets winning their first World Series in 1969, going 17-9 with a 2.28 ERA. He was a 20 game winner twice and is #70 on the all time wins list with 222.
    Edited to add: This card is NOT mine. >>

This, 1968 Nolan Ryan Jerry Koosman.

Dave
  • Options
    My pick is not the most valuable or rare, but I like the 1990 Upper Deck Rookie Threats card of Delino DeShields / Marquis Grissom / Larry Walker. DeShields would be the low man on the totem-pole, in my opinion, but still managed to play 13 years in the bigs. Grissom was a 2x All-Star, 4X Gold Glove winner and won a World Series in '95. Larry Walker needs no explanation.
  • Options
    That's a whole lotta blue in that pic.
  • Options
    Boy, maybe I missed it someone mentioning it here, but the 1973 Topps and OPC #1

Babe Ruth/Hank Aaron/Willie Mays

Now that card, I would say it DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT!
    (I know, I know, its NOT a rookie card!)

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has someone put together a "what could've been" roster of 1989-1991 Expos Talent? How about Denny and Pedro Martinez with Randy Johnson 1, 2, 3 rotation? Outfield with Walker, Raines, Grissom, Infield with the Big Cat and DeShields?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Don't forget about Tim Wallach, Spike Owen, Otis Nixon, Moises Alou, Oil Can Boyd, Mark Langston and Brian Holman just to name a few. If only the '94 season wasn't cut short by the strike. That was Montreal's year!
  • Options
    No love for Canseco/Plunk?
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Marshall and Steve Sax deserve a mention

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    This thread is missing photos.

I say don't nominate a card without a pic of it. image
  • Options
    I shall oblige...

• Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    The Molitor/Trammell would have 2 HOF RC's on it if Trammell and Ripken weren't stuck in the same league.
  • Options
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget about Tim Wallach, Spike Owen, Otis Nixon, Moises Alou, Oil Can Boyd, Mark Langston and Brian Holman just to name a few. If only the '94 season wasn't cut short by the strike. That was Montreal's year! >>

...and don't forget John Wetteland, Wil Cordero, Rondell White, Jeff Fassero, Ken Hill, etc. That '94 team was so incredibly sick, and a part of me still hasn't recovered from that strike. And no, I wasn't even an Expos fan per se. I just appreciated that group of talent immensely. Potential title gone, prospects for a new stadium shot, fire sale in the offseason.......the handwriting inundated the wall.

And from the did-he-really-do-that category, I'll never forget Grissom leading the league in swipes for two consecutive seasons. 75+ in both '91 & '92.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I am extremely biased, but the Molitor/Trammel is hands down the winner if we're talking baseball only. There SHOULD be 2 HOFers on that card. Trammel not being in there is a joke. That card has always been legendary growing up collecting. The Ryan/Koosman is a reach because the Ryan is such a legendary card, but Koosman is borderline at best

I have always been fond of the Baylor/Baker RC in 1971

I thought the 1986 Fleer Kal Daniels/Paul O' Neill card was a surefire winners. Surely one, if not both would end up in the hall?

1987 Fleer Kevin Seitzer/ John Stefero anyone? image
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Coolest thing about that card is that Mr. Grissom will later catch the final out of the '95 Series in that very park.

I always liked Reggie's '70 and '71 and Chambliss' '74 cards for that same reason. Little did they know but they had big future appointments in the ballpark where they were posing.
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Second best After Molitor / Trammell is probably Piazza / Delgado

Cecil Cooper is perhaps the second best player to receive zero Hall-of-Fame votes

Gene Tenace / Vida Blue is my personal favorite >>

Who are the other "best" players to receive zero HOF votes?
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    I have to add my vote for the Ryan/Koosman rookie card.

Appreciate today-

Bill