Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay listing violation? (1867-S quarter)

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin is not a PCGS AU55, and there is no such thing as "PCGS AU55 D" even if the "D" stands for "details." I hate wasting my time clicking on something like this, only to find the coin is holed and plugged, and worth less than 10% of the asking price - to me. Unfortunately, eBay makes it virtually impossible to report a misleading auction title like this one. Hopefully, the sellers will read this and change their title to something more honest- like "AU Details, Holed and Plugged," as the slab says. I'm not holding my breath, though.

link to 1867-s Quarter listing

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eBay listing format only allows so many characters in the title box. The seller just ran out of room for their long winded description. Maybe a suggestion that they edit the title to fit the "Details" word in completely. Looks like the seller favors a template with the key title words HIGH QUALITY APPEALING...image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was favorite seated quarter date during the 1970's and 1980's. Price-wise, it was one of the most underrated quarters for its actual rarity.

The coin here was probably unc before it was scrubbed and drilled. It has unc details and no obvious wear that I can see except on the rims.
    There are probably at most only a dozen or two coins in existence (if that) with this much detail. Still, the hole and scrubbing brings the coin down
    to Fine-VF range value imo. I think I'd rather own a problem free F-VF than this coin. It sure does have a lot of meat left on it. Unc details imo.
    So sad to see this coin end up like this. My first ever problem free AU 1867-s quarter cost me $135. Though back then it was called XF45.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first ever problem free AU 1867-s quarter cost me $135. Though back then it was called XF45. >>

Dang back then you must of had to dodge the dinosaurs on the way to the show.image
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    If you feel that strongly about it, then report it to eBay. I do not find it that big a deal. Most of the time, I hoover over the image and it enlarges before I ever click on the auction. Really, what are you wasting? 20 seconds maybe?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you feel that strongly about it, then report it to eBay. I do not find it that big a deal. Most of the time, I hoover over the image and it enlarges before I ever click on the auction. Really, what are you wasting? 20 seconds maybe? >>

Really? What program allows you to enlarge without clicking on the auction....I want it!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My first ever problem free AU 1867-s quarter cost me $135. Though back then it was called XF45. >>

Dang back then you must of had to dodge the dinosaurs on the way to the show.image >>

My dinosaur ride of choice was a brontosaurus. image

Once the LSCC came into being in 1974, it was like a match was lit to try and buy all the cheap better date circ seated material that was out there. Within a couple of
    years it got a whole lot harder. I recall one single purchase with World Wide Coin in the mid-1970's where I purchased 9 - 1867-s quarters in one single order (every one
    they had from a hoard of S mint quarters they had just gotten in....all the marque dates were already sold out - 60s, 64s, 66s, 71s, 72s. I had to "settle" for the dregs...lol.
    Those 9 quarters were mostly all orig F-VF specimens costing $55-$65 each.
  • Options
    Really, what are you wasting? 20 seconds maybe?

As I stated earlier, eBay makes it very difficult to report it. There is only an automated system for listing violations with no option matching a listing like this one. Check it out if you don't believe. And I did waste a lot more than 20 seconds trying to report it through their goofy menu system- thus, the irritation.

An 1867-s in AU for $135? Makes me wonder if coins were so undervalued then, or if they're so overvalued now.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really? What program allows you to enlarge without clicking on the auction....I want it! >>

There is no program. I've been using IE and Chrome and both have the same features. When you bring up your search page, do you not see the little + symbol on the lower right of the image to the left of the auction title? Simply click on that and the provided picture will enlarge. Certainly I am not the only one that has been using this feature since eBay instituted it last year.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really, what are you wasting? 20 seconds maybe?

As I stated earlier, eBay makes it very difficult to report it. There is only an automated system for listing violations with no option matching a listing like this one. Check it out if you don't believe. And I did waste a lot more than 20 seconds trying to report it through their goofy menu system- thus, the irritation.

In the future try the below ebay site, to report items in the coins or bullion category.

ebay.com/ccw
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from my understanding, one cannot use a numerical grade in the title and possibly description unless the holder says it.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>from my understanding, one cannot use a numerical grade in the title and possibly description unless the holder says it. >>

This is the listing's policy violation. Use the below form to report coin listing violations. It is easier to use, allows reporting up to 10 listings with the same violation and is reviewed by ebay's coin policy drones. The drones have the option of forwarding questionable or more technical issues to ebay's outside team of "experts." For faster response it helps to list the specific violation.

Simple ebay reporting form for coins, no drop down selections, just report the violation of up to 10 listings

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see a huge problem with it (unless some fake holder) except the seller could have done a better job of describing it. The price is BIN at $12,500 (CW Trends for AU55) and Make Offer. Perhaps he has a low threshold for the offer. Not a bad repair job, doc did good job. Tone her up some and she might take queen of the ball. He does have a 10% restock charge on returns though.

Something like PCGS AU Details would have been a better description and then something "looks Ch AU.". The coin does look AU55 or better and as far as the price it is BIN / Make Offer. We don't know what offer will take it so I really don't see the big deal about the price. Perhaps you should see if $1250 will take it if that's all you think its worth. CW Trends on a no problem piece is 15000 in AU 58, 12500 for AU55, and 8500 AU 50. I have seen a lot of problem coins trade 50-60% of trends. I was set up at a show next to a dealer who specializes in problem coins (gets them off TTR cheap) and he was able to get as high as 60-75% of CW Trends on a lot of problem coins.

$1250 or 10% of his asking price is VF20 money. If the coin were mine what I would take for it would mainly depend on what I had in it, but I would try to get at least EF40 money at 4000. Of course he might of just put melt or zero on the estate appraisal form and $1250 may take it.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    $1250 is still a little high on it, I think. I'd take a problem-free PCGS VG10 or F12 for around that price long before I'd take a holed and plugged coin. I think my surly demeanor wore off somewhat since this morning, but I'll still stand by the 10X overprice.

• Options
    That coin is night and day from a problem free XF40. It's not even close as to which one I'd rather own...and I've owned a 67-s quarter in gem unc as well.
    I could see some debate at the VG-XF level though. Some newb might get caught paying strong VF or even XF money, but probably not some seasoned quarter collector.
    Damaged coins aren't high on the want lists of collectors, esp. when there are ample supply of decent pieces for the asking. A VF, XF, or even AU 67-s is not an unobtainable
    task. But if you want the only holed, repaired, and scrubbed unc out there....then this is probably the only one. I'd agree with the 10X overprice. My only problem with
    buying this date in AU for $130 back in the 1970's is that in the mid-1980's I sold it to a friend as a favor for $190. Now that was stupid. I've never seen its equal since.
  • Options
    I take it that friendship was strengthened somewhat by the aforementioned transaction? Still, massive facepalm for giving your friend a freebie!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file