Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which patterns are more interesting? Informal poll.

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not going to keep track of results, but as a rule, which patterns are more interesting to you, the ones that were close to an adopted design (such as the Morgan dollar with three leaves on the branch, or the 1882 Liberty nickel variations) or something boldly different, such as William Barber's 1876 Sailor Head dollar (the one without stars or legend being my personal favorite), or the intricate 1877 half dollar patterns?

TD

Edited to add: Pictures welcome!
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    To me there is no question. The most interesting patterns, by far, are the boldly different patterns. If a pattern looks essentially like the adopted design, it typically holds little intrigue for me. But if the design of a pattern is radically different from anything ever issued for circulation, it is infinitely more interesting.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    The biggest, shiniest and most beautiful:

Ed
  • Options
    Or the reddest:

Or the most arrogant motto: 1867 - 'Union and Liberty'

Ed
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the boldly different patterns. Here is the only true pattern that is in my collection. Since I enjoy collecting gold dollars, this first one from 1836 is a natural for me.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The holed gold dollars struck in gold are my favorites by a landslide.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>The holed gold dollars struck in gold are my favorites by a landslide. >>

I'd like to have one of those too, but the last one that came up at auction, which was in an off-metal, not gold, was over graded and sold for double what it was worth IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a vote for the Liberty nickels. I've always found this version particularly attractive and wished I owned one:

imageimage
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some nice ones in here, keep them coming!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a vote for the Liberty nickels. I've always found this version particularly attractive and wished I owned one:

imageimage >>

That design is definitely more attractive than the one that appeared upon the regular issue coin. The trouble is I question how mint could have mass produced it given the extensive problems they had with striking copper-nickel right up until fairly recent times. Remember how the reverse of the Jefferson nickel was flattened to look like a trolley car because the mint claimed they could not mass produce the original three-quarters view of Monticello? The adopted design of Monticello was so bland that the it was found necessary to spell out the name of the building across the bottom of it.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill- The J561 was intended to be struck in aluminum as a replacement for nickel. I really like that design. Here's mineimage

I am also a big fan of the 1877 half dollar patterns.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>To me there is no question. The most interesting patterns, by far, are the boldly different patterns. If a pattern looks essentially like the adopted design, it typically holds little intrigue for me. But if the design of a pattern is radically different from anything ever issued for circulation, it is infinitely more interesting. >>

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is way cool.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I have always preferred the one off date coins of the regular design, 1858 INC , 1882 nickels and the like all the way to the 1849 double eagle
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this is way cool.

image >>

Agreed. Could you add a little more info and/or history? Was it an alternative to the eventual 1916 Type One Standing Liberty Quarter or an intended Standing Liberty of another denomination?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I prefer the off metal coins of the regular design ... tho beautiful and important pieces such as J-1776 float my boat as well.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I kinda like the ones that use a known design on a different denomination: i.e. Morgan dime.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or the reddest:

Or the most arrogant motto: 1865 - 'Union and Liberty'

image >>

i could get used of these real quick image
  • Options

<< <i>I think this is way cool.

image >>

I love the eagle in the center of the shield.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always preferred the one off date coins of the regular design, 1858 INC , 1882 nickels and the like all the way to the 1849 double eagle >>

• Options

<< <i>Personally, I prefer the off metal coins of the regular design ... tho beautiful and important pieces such as J-1776 float my boat as well. >>

We used to call those die trials instead of patterns.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally, I prefer the off metal coins of the regular design ... tho beautiful and important pieces such as J-1776 float my boat as well. >>

We used to call those die trials instead of patterns. >>

Actually, a lot of those are numismatic delicacies or pieces de caprice - not die trials.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more bizarre the better. The 10,000 different varieties of IHCs and Liberty nickels bore me to tears. Give me the half union or the holey trials.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually, a lot of those are numismatic delicacies or pieces de caprice - not die trials. >>

No offense intended; but, that is common knowledge.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually, a lot of those are numismatic delicacies or pieces de caprice - not die trials. >>

No offense intended; but, that is common knowledge. >>

No offense taken. That information is from the Harry Bass Foundation. It'd be good to know if they have it wrong.

<< <i>Numismatic delicacies, called pieces de caprice by numismatic historian Don Taxay, comprise the largest category in the pattern series. In a phrase these are pieces made not to illustrate unusual metallic compositions or new designs or some other forward-thinking concept of mintage, but, instead, to provide rarities for sale to the collector trade. These coins include strikings of gold denomination dies and other metals such as copper and aluminum, the illogical combining of dies not intended for each other (such as a two-headed half dollar pattern of 1859), the extensive Standard Silver coinage of 1869 and later (which was made with plain edges and reeded edges, and in metals including silver, copper, and aluminum), etc. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

No offense taken. That information is from the Harry Bass Foundation. It'd be good to know if they have it wrong.

<< <i>Numismatic delicacies, called pieces de caprice by numismatic historian Don Taxay, comprise the largest category in the pattern series. In a phrase these are pieces made not to illustrate unusual metallic compositions or new designs or some other forward-thinking concept of mintage, but, instead, to provide rarities for sale to the collector trade. These coins include strikings of gold denomination dies and other metals such as copper and aluminum, the illogical combining of dies not intended for each other (such as a two-headed half dollar pattern of 1859), the extensive Standard Silver coinage of 1869 and later (which was made with plain edges and reeded edges, and in metals including silver, copper, and aluminum), etc. >>

>>

I can't remember where I saw it; however, I read a letter to the editor or article in a 19th Century coin publication. This letter or article ridiculed the mint for offering "pattern" coins produced strictly for collector demand and deliberately made in numerous minor variations. I believe it sarcastically suggested that some coins be struck in chocolate.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I can't remember where I saw it; however, I read a letter to the editor or article in a 19th Century coin publication. This letter or article ridiculed the mint for offering "pattern" coins produced strictly for collector demand and deliberately made in numerous minor variations. I believe it sarcastically suggested that some coins be struck in chocolate. >>

Commemoratives made a come back in 1982 after a similar issue. I wonder if the Mint would ever consider making numismatic delicacies again?
  • Options
    Was looking at the Bass patterns on display in the ANA Museum just the other day. Some mighty fine stuff there!

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    These float my boat;
    NeN's pics
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I collected patterns, they would have to be boldly different.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I really like the 25 cent and higher denomination patterns struck in copper. There's just something about them.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect patterns, but I personally prefer the designs that are totally different than anything adopted. I really like some of the crazy holed patterns.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

"I really like some of the crazy holed patterns"

Ed
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A retro design pattern that used the old large cent obverse and is the same diameter of the large cent but dated 11 years after large cents were last struck:

The only pattern I currently own and one I had wanted since I was a kid and read about them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting may be not but i like them.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file