Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989 Pro Set Football

This has likely been discussed here before...

Obviously the print run for 1989 Pro Set Football is much greater than 1989 Score Football but the difference in the number of cards from each of the sets that have been subbed to PSA is astounding.

Total for Pro Set: 13,350
Total for Score: 55,784

So my point of this post is to ask what is the better investment when looking at buying boxes or cases of unopened of either of the two? For Pro Set we'd obviously be talking about series 2 not series 1. Right now on BBCE, boxes of Score are 300 boxes of pro set series 2 are 20.

Which of the two will be first to double in value?

Comments

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Not sure the answer to your question from here on out but Pro Set II has already doubled. I bought a 20 box case from BBCE for 200 bucks about a year and a half ago. Not sure how much more this thing can go up in this short of a time...
  • Options
    Wow, did not realized that, wish I had seen it for that price. Did you open it all?
  • Options
    Yep, ripped over the course of a month or so. Got the stats somewhere but not sure where. Never have subbed any though. Just picked it up cause of the price to fun ratio.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Interesting stats zurbs. I'm sitting on an unopened pro set wax box....perhaps it will be worth something soon image

Porkins....on a side note. Your name reminded me of this lol

• Options
    GoldlabelsGoldlabels Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Just picked up 17 boxes of series 2 and about 12 of series 1 in a big collection I just bought. PM me if intersted

Todd
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting stats zurbs. I'm sitting on an unopened pro set wax box....perhaps it will be worth something soon image

Porkins....on a side note. Your name reminded me of this lol

image >>

Lol... Yep that's me... My friends and I were huge Star Wars fans growing up and we all were Rebel characters. Since I was the chubbiest one it was only fitting that I be the fat guy with the grunge beard that dies after a 3 minute appearance.... Well it stuck and the name also kinda goes along with me being a huge Arkansas Razorback fan so I've always used it as a handle.

Zurbs, don't mean to derail your thread. I think if anything you get PS II to rip and Score to hold, but I just don't know how much meat is on either bone right now. Good luck with whatever you go with.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So my point of this post is to ask what is the better investment when looking at buying boxes or cases of unopened of either of the two? For Pro Set we'd obviously be talking about series 2 not series 1. Right now on BBCE, boxes of Score are 300 boxes of pro set series 2 are 20.

Which of the two will be first to double in value? >>

This is a great question you pose, which I have also posed on here before. My money would certainly be on a case of the Pro Set, rather than on one box of the Score.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Pm sent

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Still available?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Isn't the difference that the Pro Set stuff is crap and the Score is somewhat desirable?
  • Options
    GoldlabelsGoldlabels Posts: 359 ✭✭
    It's more just the production value. But if you are comparing what to buy I don't see how a 1989 score box is worth $300. The top card in the set is the Barry Sanders which can be bought for $20 at most in mint condition. Why not just buy like 8-10 factory sets for $300, much better deal.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    The factors that make a product desirable are card design, lower production, and rookie card selection. Both of these are nice looking, solid color bordered sets, have the same rookies, and have similar difficulty and populations in PSA 10 for the top rookies. I think perceptions get formed for certain sets and collectors don't take the time to look back and reconsider. But the fact is there is 1989 Score and 1989 Pro Set and nothing else if you like to chase rookie cards of perhaps the top NFL rookie class of all time. I certainly don't see enough legit reasons for a price differential as large as $280 for Score and $20 for Pro Set series 2.