Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yasiel Puig: Card Values Peaking or Growing?

What does everyone think of the value of Puig cards: have they peaked or is there room for a lot of growth. Is it too late to invest in them?

Comments

• Options
    His cards are going to continue growing. Just in April, his 2012 Leaf Memories auto card was selling for about $225 and today it sells for about 500+. He can hit, catch and run. He's built like Bo Jackson. He is currently on fire and his jerseys have been selling through the roof. I'd say its a good investment - at least for this season so far. Long term, who can say.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Does he have any cards in a Dodgers uniform? Do you think he'll be in Topps Series 3 or Updates? How about one of the Bowman products?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Think about Mike Trout... Trout has already done it for a full season plus and is a year YOUNGER than Puig.

When "real" Puig cards come out, they'll already have the spike in the "release" pricing. There probably won't be much upside beyond that. Once Trout spiked last season, he began to sink. Even though he's on pace for about .315/30/100/40 this season, there hasn't been a pricing increase n his cards.

The modern rookie market is fickle. Learning and understanding how trends run and cycle will help ensure that you're not holding the hot potato when the bell goes off.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the legend is certainly growing. the guy has brought life to his teammates a la Trout.

his manager may yet have a cardiac and his surrounding fielders may get steamrolled before they've had a chance to recover form a woeful start.

yeah, he's for real. Trout jumps over walls. Puig will run through them.

his popularity is snowballing and folks will look to take advantage of that by overpricing his cards.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    His "best" RCs are yet to come out.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Think about Mike Trout... Trout has already done it for a full season plus and is a year YOUNGER than Puig.

When "real" Puig cards come out, they'll already have the spike in the "release" pricing. There probably won't be much upside beyond that. Once Trout spiked last season, he began to sink. Even though he's on pace for about .315/30/100/40 this season, there hasn't been a pricing increase n his cards.

The modern rookie market is fickle. Learning and understanding how trends run and cycle will help ensure that you're not holding the hot potato when the bell goes off. >>

With the distinction today between "prospect cards" (think Bowman and MILB issues) and "rookie cards" (cards with the RC logo), what typically happens is that when a hot new player breaks into the majors, his prospect cards spike because that is all he has. Once the rookie cards start coming out en masse, the prospect stuff softens because most people want a RC logo card than a prospect card.

Additionally, as more issues with a player's RC logo rookie card come out, overall supply increases and prices often soften.

Even with Trout, his cards--while still valuable--are nowhere near as "hot" as they were last year at this time.

The Puig case is a little different because before he came into the majors, all he had were early Bowman inserts and some non-licensed Leaf autographs; Puig doesn't have an ample supply of prospect cards, so the few he does have out are on fire.

However, by the end of the year, once Puig has a full complement of RC logo rookies in the rest of Topps' products, prices for everything will probably soften to a more "reasonable" level--unless he wins the Triple Crown and gets voted into Cooperstown.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    better hurry.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    just like the rookie pitcher for the Mets...

going down...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>With the distinction today between "prospect cards" (think Bowman and MILB issues) and "rookie cards" (cards with the RC logo), >>

You're considering the Bowman Chrome "Prospect cards" to be on the same level as minor league issues?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With the distinction today between "prospect cards" (think Bowman and MILB issues) and "rookie cards" (cards with the RC logo), >>

You're considering the Bowman Chrome "Prospect cards" to be on the same level as minor league issues? >>

The Bowman issues are more popular than the "Pro Debut"-type issues, but both of them are victims of the 2006 MBLPA licensing agreement regarding the "RC logo" debacle, so in the long term they both tend to be dwarfed in popularity by the "real rookie cards."
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're considering the Bowman Chrome "Prospect cards" to be on the same level as minor league issues? >>

The Bowman issues are more popular than the "Pro Debut"-type issues, but both of them are victims of the 2006 MBLPA licensing agreement regarding the "RC logo" debacle, so in the long term they both tend to be dwarfed in popularity by the "real rookie cards." >>

I would disagree with this statement. Look at any Bowman prospect card and you will find the value of that card vs. the value of the "rookie" card are normally not even close. Example is Manny Machado, his 2010 Bowman base cards, sell even on an individual basis, compare that to his 2013 Topps card with the rookie logo, which doesn't even bring 99 cents. When you consider the Bowman Chrome autograph cards there is no comparison whatsoever.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    The question I have: Will the Bowman Lucky Redemption number 4 identified as Yasiel Puig, ever get signed and sent out?
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    I think prices still have more upside, but only if he performs like crazy....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Rick. he IS crazy. image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>The Bowman issues are more popular than the "Pro Debut"-type issues, but both of them are victims of the 2006 MBLPA licensing agreement regarding the "RC logo" debacle, so in the long term they both tend to be dwarfed in popularity by the "real rookie cards." >>

Perhaps it's a unique sample, but this doesn't hold true for the Giants players who had their first cards after the rule went into effect.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I am beginning to think I should stick to vintage. I did pick up a couple Puigs over the weekend though and am getting ready to rip a Bowman blaster box right now too!image
  • Options
    VOTE!
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Puig is a great talent in the game but I won't spend a dime on his cards until I hear the out come of this lawsuit.

nesn.com/2013/07/report-yasiel-puig-being-sued-12-million-by-imprisoned-man-in-cuba

James