Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

grading of a 1827 capped bust 10 cent piece

Could anyone help on giving approx grade on this 1827 10 cent piece. It has some environmental damage scrapes at 7 o'clock slight dent at 4 o'clock
what would the drop in grade be for scuffs of this nature.

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/minuteman810430/media/A003-20130629_164412_zps35b30d68.png.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/minuteman810430/media/A004-20130629_170732_zpscdaa83c9.png.html]image[/URL]

thank you

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not say that this piece is an AU. It looks to be more in the lower EF range in part because of the mark on the neck. The photo of the revese is not showing on my screen.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    just updated reverse
  • Options
    Yes, I would say that the coin is an EF-40.

This is some green stuff that looks like PVC inside the letter "S" in "STATES" the olive branch and other places. You might have an expert look into removing that because it can cause damage.

Now that I look at the obverse I see some PVC there is well around the stars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thank you bill
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely agree with Bill that it wouldn't grade AU and agree that I would send it to an expert to have that green stuff removed if PVC. - However, I think the coin would grade XF 45 based on its details - IMHO.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would net it to VF35 due to the damage to the bust (dent). Details are XF40 as Bill said.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would net it to VF35 due to the damage to the bust (dent). Details are XF40 as Bill said. >>

image Details VF
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur with Ron and Bill.
  • Options
    THANK YOU
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one I have that shows a little more environmental damage than yoursimage

• Options

<< <i>Here is one I have that shows a little more environmental damage than yoursimage

image >>

"The environment" certainly did drill a very neat hole. It drew some straight lines with those "L"s or whatever they are too. image
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I like it as an XF45...but that green is cause for concern
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I like the green,
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file