Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A well-struck buffalo nickel

gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
Got this during a hot streak of acquiring coins about five years ago.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one gorgeous Buff...I think you showed that before.... I have always been a tad envious of your acquisitions...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Grade? >>

PCGS MS63
  • Options

<< <i>That is one gorgeous Buff...I think you showed that before.... I have always been a tad envious of your acquisitions...image Cheers, RickO >>

Meh. I kissed a lot of toads. Some turned into princes. Others continued to croak.
  • Options
    Only 63?? Maybe I'm missing some hidden marks or something. Strike is all there, luster seems to be too.

They were harsh on that one!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...63??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I've seen any better struck buffs than a '38-D or maybe a few '37's.

Very nice!!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great strike!
  • Options
    Nice! I like the toning also.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    needs to be in confacts!

not sure about photograde. image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Looks better than 63. What am I missing?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a VERY well struck piece!! I'm amazed it's only a 63!! Nice Buff bud!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks better than 63. What am I missing? >>

No doubt a coin with good luster and a superb strike in MS-63 has scratches that are hard to see
    at this specific angle. There appears to be a nearly vertical scratch on the upper foreleg for instance.

No amounts of marking can keep this coin from being nice. If I were shopping for a 63 this is the one I'd want.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    MS63? I don't get it.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Yes, it's easily the most undergraded coin I own. I've kept it in the holder as a curiosity, and as a reminder not to pin too much hope on any individual submission.
    Cladking, the two marks you see on the foreleg are "as made." I have seen them on other pieces. There are no hits/scratches of any significance anywhere on this coin.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>MS63? I don't get it. >>

I like it, but am wondering whether PCGS netgraded the coin because of the color. The color could be interpreted as questionable, but not enough for a details/genie slab. Based on the images, I won't opine either way about the toning. I will say that the coin is attractive, has an amazing strike, and great luster.
  • Options

<< <i>

I like it, but am wondering whether PCGS netgraded the coin because of the color. The color could be interpreted as questionable, but not enough for a details/genie slab. Based on the images, I won't opine either way about the toning. I will say that the coin is attractive, has an amazing strike, and great luster. >>

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I deduce from this that if it were yours, you'd crack it out, flash dip the color off it and resubmit. right?
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I like it, but am wondering whether PCGS netgraded the coin because of the color. The color could be interpreted as questionable, but not enough for a details/genie slab. Based on the images, I won't opine either way about the toning. I will say that the coin is attractive, has an amazing strike, and great luster. >>

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I deduce from this that if it were yours, you'd crack it out, flash dip the color off it and resubmit. right? >>

I didn't suggest that at all, and I wouldn't support dipping the coin. I actually like the coin personally. That doesn't change the viability of the point raised. I would be curious to see if the coin stickers, and if it does receive a CAC sticker, whether it receives a gold sticker though. If it was my coin personally, it would be off to CAC to see what they thought.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the pics, the strike looks as good as any PR67 that I've seen!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strike is only one component of an overall grade. Impossible to assess the luster off an image, but it does appear to have an unnatural 'chrome' look in the image. I would enjoy the coin for what it is (absolutely hammered) and not for what it is not.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I deduce from this that if it were yours, you'd crack it out, flash dip the color off it and resubmit. right? >>

I didn't suggest that at all, and I wouldn't support dipping the coin. I actually like the coin personally. That doesn't change the viability of the point raised. I would be curious to see if the coin stickers, and if it does receive a CAC sticker, whether it receives a gold sticker though. If it was my coin personally, it would be off to CAC to see what they thought. >>

It never occurred to me to seek a CAC bean for a fairly common, MS63 buffalo nickel. I'm going crack it out and resubmit, no dip. See what happens.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why? Are you a pcgs shareholder? image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it, regardless of the grade.

JH >>

i agree. that is a real nice one for sure
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep-that one is 100% all there.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didn't suggest that at all, and I wouldn't support dipping the coin. I actually like the coin personally. That doesn't change the viability of the point raised. I would be curious to see if the coin stickers, and if it does receive a CAC sticker, whether it receives a gold sticker though. If it was my coin personally, it would be off to CAC to see what they thought. >>

It never occurred to me to seek a CAC bean for a fairly common, MS63 buffalo nickel. I'm going crack it out and resubmit, no dip. See what happens. >>

Soooooo, it's been a while and I'm wondering if you have got the results back? Please do let us know what happened.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    Guy it is hammered ...... but I believe the color is from an old dip and the coin is tooooooo...... dark for Pcgs standards. Ed
    ed rodrigues
  • Options

<< <i>Soooooo, it's been a while and I'm wondering if you have got the results back? Please do let us know what happened. >>

Gotta be honest: I haven't resubmitted. I'm the king of procrastination. It sits there, glistening, in that PCGS holder.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Soooooo, it's been a while and I'm wondering if you have got the results back? Please do let us know what happened. >>

Gotta be honest: I haven't resubmitted. I'm the king of procrastination. It sits there, glistening, in that PCGS holder. >>

Do you mean to tell me your just like me!! image
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    First time I have seen this thread, and I agree with Coinguy1989, when I read it was a 63, I wondered about a net grade for color... I think either of the plans proposed: crack and resubmit, or see what CAC thinks are good ideas.
  • Options
    Holder aside, it's a beautiful coin! Let me know if you ever consider selling it image
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one crazy RIPPED Buffalo!
    I like it!!!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No guts, No glory. image

I think it's great and stands on it's own regardless.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry,is it just me or does it appear strange in the fields? I don't know, it just doesn't look right? image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file