Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Photos of a Stunning 1967 SMS Lincoln (SP67BN)

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just had this 1967 SMS Lincoln Cent graded yesterday. It came back SP67BN.
I popped this coin out of an original (I think) SMS set that I bought from KryponiteComics for $86 on eBay. (Thanks Shane!)

There is some fantastic original mint luster on this one and I think I even detect some flowlines (esp in the field behind Lincoln's head).

It's only the second 1967 SMS with that lofty 67BN grade (circled below).
The BN's are a definite color class rarity in the SMS Lincoln era (red arrows below).

SMS Lincolns rarely come nicer than this.
And thank you PCGS TrueView for the great photos!

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!! Congrats!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful...thanks for sharing....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I like those 65-67 SMS sets for some reason. Weren't they actually minted in SF?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the nice comments!

GoldClause, Interesting question on whether these were produced in SF or Phil., I have no idea.

CoinsAreFun, I agree with you that this has a definite cameo appearance ... Would have liked to have seen a BN DC but PCGS doesn't do that.

My SMS set is looking great, but I would love to upgrade my 1965 to a more colorful example.
    I have two of the highest PCGS-graded BN's known for 1966 and 1967, which is kind of a feat.

• Options
    It is interesting that the SMS sets were produced based on a misguided "freak-out" by then Director of the Mint Eva Adams who blamed the small change shortage in late 1964 on coin collectors and not the general population hoarding soon-to-be-discontinued 90% silver coins.

It's still funny to me that Eva went as far to decree that mint marks on all US Coins be eliminated from 1965 to 1967 in an effort to quell coin collecting interest.

Has there ever been a more misguided attempt by our government officials to control things they don't understand? Perhaps not, at least in the field of numismatics.
  • Options
    CoinsAreFun, yes I love my 1966!

CU Member Robec owns a "salt water taffy" colored 1966, that is really stunning as well. Maybe he'll post it if he reads this?
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Very beautiful coin(s)!
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CoinsAreFun, yes I love my 1966!

CU Member Robec owns a "salt water taffy" colored 1966, that is really stunning as well. Maybe he'll post it if he reads this? >>

Thanks for the invite WL.

As the owner of the other 1967 SMS Lincoln (SP67BN), I would gladly trade with you. I can't imagine a 67BN being any nicer than yours.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Congrats!!!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good night, those close up photos are incredible!
  • Options
    Robec, I love that 1966 !
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Awesome!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like those 65-67 SMS sets for some reason. Weren't they actually minted in SF? >>

Yes. All the SMS's were minted in San Francisco. San Francisco also made all five denominations
    including half dollars for circulation. Most appear to have been made with retired SMS dies. Half
    dollars were made only in Denver and San Francisco during the SMS years. Philly never struck 40%
    half dollars.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>It is interesting that the SMS sets were produced based on a misguided "freak-out" by then Director of the Mint Eva Adams who blamed the small change shortage in late 1964 on coin collectors and not the general population hoarding soon-to-be-discontinued 90% silver coins.

It's still funny to me that Eva went as far to decree that mint marks on all US Coins be eliminated from 1965 to 1967 in an effort to quell coin collecting interest.

Has there ever been a more misguided attempt by our government officials to control things they don't understand? Perhaps not, at least in the field of numismatics. >>

The '64 date was frozen in '64 but that was soon lifted before the '65 date was frozen.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>I just had this 1967 SMS Lincoln Cent graded yesterday. It came back SP67BN.
    I popped this coin out of an original (I think) SMS set that I bought from KryponiteComics for $86 on eBay. (Thanks Shane!)

There is some fantastic original mint luster on this one and I think I even detect some flowlines (esp in the field behind Lincoln's head).

It's only the second 1967 SMS with that lofty 67BN grade (circled below).
    The BN's are a definite color class rarity in the SMS Lincoln era (red arrows below).

SMS Lincolns rarely come nicer than this.
    And thank you PCGS TrueView for the great photos!

>>

It's not my cup of tea but it certainly is pretty. The SMS cents get some wild toning and this one is a little different than most.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Very sharp capture and a beautiful Lincoln.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Stunning coin WingedLiberty1957. I'm really glad you holdered that clean brownie with all that eye appeal. I always like seeing Robec's coin as well.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>
    Half dollars were made only in Denver and San Francisco during the SMS years. Philly never struck 40%
    half dollars. >>

Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file