Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Warning on phones and privacy settings and thief access

ChessmanChessman Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭
Bill Myers has this useful video on sharing your valuables on social networking sites; Text

Apparently thieves can find where the pics were taken and possibly stage a theft based on that information.

Comments

• Options
    Yep, everyone is watching!
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on the iPhone it's

Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services --> Camera --> Off
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GPS tagging has been around for a while, don't use it, disable this function especially when shooting your collection in your house.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good info. all. thanks for the info.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you do not use an iphone to take pics you are OK?

I don't have an iphone.........and NEVER will.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phones take less than great macros shots.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on for a long while..... and has been reported in the media (all forms).... surprised it is news to people. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    on the iPhone it's

Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services --> Camera --> Off

Unless you want the NSA to know your exact location at all times, turn off the GPS setting too. They will only have a triangulation of cell cites rather than an exact location.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So if you do not use an iphone to take pics you are OK?

I don't have an iphone.........and NEVER will. >>

You should be, but some of the newer cameras can have GPS tracking embedded. Download IRfanview which is free BTW and open up one of your saved pics on your computer. You may or may not need some of their plugins. Follow to do what he says in the video. If you get a link to Google maps, your info could be used. If not then you should be ok. Also possible that your current cell phone might have the GPS tracking.
  • Options
    What is this "iphone" and "social media" you speak of?
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Good info - thanks!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have an iphone.........and NEVER will. >>

Good to know.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is this "iphone" and "social media" you speak of? >>

obviously you know what the internets are with all their pipes and tubes
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not iphone-specific. All, or nearly all, modern dSLR cameras have this feature and some may default to activate the setting.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An easy way to get around this is to just do a screen capture of the photo and post that.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    well, we have absolutely 100% noticed emails becoming shaded in all our email boxes. Change the passwords every day for a week and still notice emails becoming shaded as though they've been read. So we'll try an encryption service now and see if that slows em down assuming such a thing exists for people to purchase/use etc.

Frankly I do not think it's possible at this point to maintain privacy . It's just a matter of time before all this information is not only used against us by government, it'll also be discovered by other thieves as well. Just my humble opinion. So whatever steps you can take to defend your privacy ( and safety ! ) you should take.

There is no way you will ever find us on places like facebook. If by some stretch it becomes the only way to find us I will retire and disappear entirely image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I have to worry about pictures on my cell phone ? It took me long enough to get used to free massages at the airport from those TSA guys. image
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I was very surprised this weekend when I was in a very remote area with my iPad.

I was looking at a Google map I had previously downloaded and my position was
    pinpointed on the map even though there was no Wifi or 3G internet service.

When I started to drive, the map noted my changing position. All this with no
    internet, just communication between some satellite and the iPad.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>I was very surprised this weekend when I was in a very remote area with my iPad.

I was looking at a Google map I had previously downloaded and my position was
    pinpointed on the map even though there was no Wifi or 3G internet service.

When I started to drive, the map noted my changing position. All this with no
    internet, just communication between some satellite and the iPad. >>

That how GPS works. It never did need the internet or cell towers.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this was discussed several years ago regarding cameras and I assume anyone paying attention made the link to phones. fortunately, I have an older camera and no cell phone so I should be safe. it is a warning that bears repeating again.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any null is pretty much out the window. How long till coin shows have or are required to have a camera over every booth or table? One good enough to read the cert number on a slab or the serial numbers on your bills.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file