Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Color me skeptical

It's very nice that many members have stepped up and offered to help diamondman but how do you guys know it's not a scam?

In the past year or so, diamondman has only posted on 3 occasions. Each time asking for money while throwing out a hard-luck story. No other times. And after he gets the money, he disappears for several months.

Unlike bobbyw8469, I'm not in dire straits but my wallet is staying closed.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know if anybody here personally knows Mike or not. I do not. I have purchased from him in the past, and I helped him a little this time. Each time we exchanged a few emails and Mike is very pleasant to deal with. My purchase from him in the past went smoothly and was a good deal for what I received. I don't recall him ever simply asking for money. He is offering goods at a fair price and those that simply sent him money did so on their own. I'm not judging those that haven't bought from him or sent him any donations. I completely understand your point of view and respect it.

One time when my children were younger we took a walk through downtown Columbus. As we passed several homeless people I donated what spare change and bills that I had up to the point it was gone. My children watched, and then when what I had brought as spare was gone my oldest son asked me "Dad, why did you give away all of that money? How do you know that they weren't going to waste it on drugs or drinking?" What I told him I next I still believe strongly to this day. I said "Son, what they do with that money is between God and them. What I do with my money is between God and me. I choose to give to someone that in my eyes needed something more than I did."

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    We don't....and probably will never know.

From the story I heard on PM from another member, seems legit....either that or he's in on it (or its the same member with an alias).

Kinda weird he's disappeared though (have to admit)

• Options
    ".IF ANYONE wants to give a personal loan to me for 3 to 6 months will pay 10% interest. PLEASE HELP !" from the BST board. The guy may be legit and have friends here that will help. but still I agree with you. seeking to borrow from friends never works out. if this is a third occurrence, would support he should do something else than counting on work at home internet sales to survive. not about to fall for this one. there are far worse off people than those selling cards on ebay.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Maurice may have hit the nail on the head. The following posts sound eerily similar and the original post from yesterday has been changed.

<< <i>Sunday April 07, 2013 12:45 PM
    Hello ebay ID is mike_felts. been on ebay 7 years 5,900+ positives 3 neutrals 0 Negatives.
    Need to raise cash. all help is greatly appreciated and please check my auctions on ebay as I will be running some 1 day & 3 day auctions running . PLEASE help I am at my wit's end and desperate . Will Break sets also.

------

Sunday August 12, 2012 6:46 PM
    ay ID is mike_felts. been on ebay 6 years 5,700+ positives 2 neutrals 0 Negatives.
    Need to raise 200.00 cash fast for Utilities today as they will be cut off tomorrow 12-03-12, Food & Doctor's prescriptions all help is greatly appreciated and please check my auctions on ebay as I will be running some 1 day & 3 day auctions running .
    Paypal preferred and can send paypal invoice.

------

Sunday March 11, 2012 8:55 PM
    Long story short. I was in an automobile accident July 7 last year. since then my health just keeps getting worse, and the insurance company is dragging their feet, refusing certain treatments and certain doctors. I have fallen behind in paying my bills and need to raise roughly another $1200-1500 dollars by 03-19 or my home which has been in my family for the last 60 years will be sold at a Sheriff's auction. I am basically bed ridden, as I am in bed 18 to 20 hours a day and have trouble sitting or standing longer than 30 minutes at any one time without having to lay down again.

I have had items for sale on the buy sell & trade board for the last 6 months or so, and have sold quite a few items, but figured I might get a better response here and realize this is the wrong board to list but I am extremely desperate, so please forgive the intrusion.
    Hopefully things will get better, please PM me or post on the board.
    >>

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Was thinking along the same lines.
    If selling via Internet is his only income source, and he has frequently run to the board for help, maybe he should expend some of that time and energy finding more gainful employment.
    I don't know his situation, but I also had questions.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent $25 PayPal gift.

What I find rather strange is not a brief thank you note was written in return.

If I was $513 away from being out on the street as the initial post indicated I would be incredibly thankful to whomever donated anything to me. Even if it was a $1.

If I got taken for a small amount of money that is fine. There are certainly worse things in life.

Hopefully the dollars and items that were donated go to a good cause.

• Options
    When I first read the post my initial thought was scam. Then when I saw some responses I assumed the person was a long time poster here who was well known. Now nobody seems to really know him? How much has this person profited from this? How many different message boards has this been posted on?
  • Options
    Does anyone have the google? I'm not saying it is the same guy, but red flags start to pop up...

Mike Felts

Mike Felts on some weed forum

• Options
    This isn't an accusation but when someone is asking for a very specific amount like $513, that to me is a red flag. They think making it specific makes it sound more legitimate but I can tell you it's the opposite. Knowing someone who deals with all sorts of scammers in the banking world, and the police who work the files, there are things to look for and that is one of them.
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad you started this thread.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent $25 PayPal gift.

What I find rather strange is not a brief thank you note was written in return.

If I was $513 away from being out on the street as the initial post indicated I would be incredibly thankful to whomever donated anything to me. Even if it was a $1.

If I got taken for a small amount of money that is fine. There are certainly worse things in life.

Hopefully the dollars and items that were donated go to a good cause. >>

I also found it disconcerting that he hadn't acknowledged all the donation threads that were started yesterday. If it were me, I'd be profusely thanking everyone, as dpeck said.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm so glad you started this thread. >>

Me too! Too many unanswered questions and repeat requests turned me off while reading all the threads about this topic. It sounds like he needs to get some financial help or file for bankruptcy.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember Miconelegacy stating that the autograph balls he purchased from him last time he needed help turned out to fake. I think it was under the "Vegas trip report" thread.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of great people on these boards. I just hope that this wasn't a exercise to take advantage of the kindness of others. I've said it before, Karma . . . she's not a very pleasant thing. And to those that helped, may your kindness be rewarded many times over.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we just color you a pot stirrer Maurice?

On Monday September 01, 2008 3:20 PM diamondman made this post in the 1972 baseball thread in the set registry (page 111 if you havent altered your thread viewing setting), and since I was a part of that thread when I was putting my 1972 set together, his post always stuck with me. Here was the post:

due to circumstances beyond my control, I will be retiring my set and selling it off (over the next 6 to 8 weeks) on Ebay, some started last Sunday night . will also be listing alot of other things also over the next few months. just FYI

I was once told by a Wise Man ( I don't need more money, I need more TIME, He was right), well that time has come for me (except I need both). (LOL). I have struggled over the past 9 years with losing my mother,father,wife, relatives and friends. I don't want any sympathy as this is just part of life and it waits for everyone. As CCR would say "Lookin out my back door" . Here is a old pic of my 2 boys and me at a happier and alot younger time. Autumn comes quick and winter comes even quicker enjoy every season as they are priceless.

That was almost 5 years ago, and maybe that was only the first sign of his troubles, but he didn't ask for anything back then. Maybe he has tried everything he could for the last few years, or maybe he hasnt. Since he took so long to ask for help from us here, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it probably wasnt a scam. All it cost me was a card I had sitting around, but the chance that it did some good for him was enough for me.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have the google? I'm not saying it is the same guy, but red flags start to pop up...

Mike Felts

Mike Felts on some weed forum >>

I am not either one of these people, my full name Michael Vernon Felts born 12-14-58 and have lived in Hamilton Ohio for 50+ years and at the same address for the last 25+ years and the house was originally my grandparents and I have never scammed or cheated anyone in my life it is not my nature. My health isn't good and have been packaging up packages (most of the day) to ship that people have bought from me. I am presently compiling a list of the people that have helped and I have tried to answer every PM or email that anyone has sent me. When compiling this list I don't want to miss anyone, even though I know I probably will since some people have won some of my ebay auctions and I don't know their CU handle.

If anyone wants to talk to me just PM me and I will send you my phone number.
    Don't get me wrong I am not mad at anyone, my feelings are hurt, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I don't express myself very well (typing ) and would rather talk to people face to face or over the phone.

Thanks for listening Best Regards Michael Felts aka diamondman.

• Options
    Something fishy going on here and I bought a couple items and Nams generous offering. I know one member sent over $500.

Some explaining is owed.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Diamondman, PM me your phone number.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know if anybody here personally knows Mike or not. I do not. I have purchased from him in the past, and I helped him a little this time. Each time we exchanged a few emails and Mike is very pleasant to deal with. My purchase from him in the past went smoothly and was a good deal for what I received. I don't recall him ever simply asking for money. He is offering goods at a fair price and those that simply sent him money did so on their own. I'm not judging those that haven't bought from him or sent him any donations. I completely understand your point of view and respect it.

One time when my children were younger we took a walk through downtown Columbus. As we passed several homeless people I donated what spare change and bills that I had up to the point it was gone. My children watched, and then when what I had brought as spare was gone my oldest son asked me "Dad, why did you give away all of that money? How do you know that they weren't going to waste it on drugs or drinking?" What I told him I next I still believe strongly to this day. I said "Son, what they do with that money is between God and them. What I do with my money is between God and me. I choose to give to someone that in my eyes needed something more than I did." >>

I think this says it best. I do not know Mike, never dealt with him at all, but I offered something up nonetheless. I am not one to judge him, that is left for the man upstairs...I can only relate to the experience. I have had a time when I have needed a helping hand, so I make sure to help others now that I have made a better life for myself. Best of luck to you Mike, focus on the positive rather than the negative.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say, I do not know Mike, and I jumped in after others started helping him. I sent him a good chunk of change, but I did speak with him before I sent the money. I had purchased some items from him as others did, and I did receive my goods. As far as a scammer, he did not seem to be when I spoke with him. Also, he never asked anyone to send him cash for nothing. He was selling stuff, and I don't think it was at a horrible price. To this day, I cannot promise you he is not a scammer, but if you thinks so, do not send him anything. Once again, he just asked for us to buy his items. Those of us who could help without items did.

I hope those who are skeptical are wrong, but we could be. I have his phone number, as do a couple others. If anyone gets scammed and do not get their items, please let us know. For now, I am going to believe him, and hope we help a man down on his luck. Whenever I hear more from him or about him, good or bad, I will immediately notify the boards.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    He is who he says he is. His address, age, phone number all line up and just I talked to him on the phone. I don't know if he's a scam artist but it's just my opinion that he may be taking advantage of peoples' kindness whether he knows it or not.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Clearly he was trying to scam you all by selling you his 86 Topps sets at a fair price. (that was sarcasm for those that don't know me)

This board never ceases to amaze me. Meanwhile miconelegacy was intentionally shilling board members up in his own auctions while talking through the other side of the mouth. Hey dingle, instead of demanding explanations why don't you offer some for your actions instead of a half-assed 'I'm sorry' followed by you disappearing for 3 months?
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's okay to be skeptical and have been impressed with the outpouring of help thrown his way. That said this would all be solved with a scan of the past due bill posted. Right?
  • Options

<< <i>He is who he says he is. His address, age, phone number all line up and just I talked to him on the phone. I don't know if he's a scam artist but it's just my opinion that he may be taking advantage of peoples' kindness whether he knows it or not. >>

So if you have no where to turn, what do you do?

Pay attention to two things Brian said above:
    1) diamondman asked members to buy his stuff, not donate.
    2) If you are uncomfortable with the situation, do not offer any help.

At least you changed that stupid thread you started.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He is who he says he is. His address, age, phone number all line up and just I talked to him on the phone. I don't know if he's a scam artist but it's just my opinion that he may be taking advantage of peoples' kindness whether he knows it or not. >>

So if you have no where to turn, what do you do?

Pay attention to two things Brian said above:
    1) diamondman asked members to buy his stuff, not donate.
    2) If you are uncomfortable with the situation, do not offer any help.

At least you changed that stupid thread you started. >>

Thanks Yoda.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matther 7:1-2

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Yoda. >>

Someone has to guide you because with every post you make on this topic you are showing that you don't have the capacity to do it on your own.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone has to guide you because with every post you make on this topic you are showing that you don't have the capacity to do it on your own. >>

I'm still holding back my strong opinions on this topic trying to exercise a bit of couth. Same reason I edited that "stupid" thread I started.
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    I made a donation yesterday, got a card in return I didn't expect from Foo. I got a nice reply from Mike whom I have never interacted with. I don't think about getting scammed, I'm in a good place in life, was able to help, and did. Karma works both ways and if people gave to help, no matter the outcome, it will come back to them in a positive way when they need it.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey we're all just Brothers in Arms coming from a different Walk of Life. We didn't give him Money for Nothing, just to Ride Across the River, So Far Away. The Man's Too Strong for Your Latest Trick. We only have this One World... Why Worry?

I think that pretty much covers it. image
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    We have a bunch of kind hearted collectors on this board, or they are much more similar to Manti Te'o then they think! I really do not care to find the answer. I do think we have a great group of guys here and I hope many are able to meet at the national and have a blast finding cool items too.

I considered doing something for this poster/seller but after looking at his name it was one that I did not recognize and I decided to stay away. I work with people that are down and out and youth who are at risk so most of my donations to causes are direct.

This definitely woke up the board, we needed something like this to keep coming back frequently! image
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Been gone a few days and just got to see this. Like sands in the hour glass, so are the days on CU.

So is this how the scam works?

Step 1 - Sell cards at good prices, but give a story as to why you need money.

Step 2 - wait a while and then repeat step 1 so that people can see you really need the money. During step 2, continue to sell cards at decent prices.

Step 3 - put out the biggest plea yet and ask to sell more cards, but continue not to ask directly for the money. And secretly we know that eventually the board will start giving money away without the cards.

So he has waited almost a year for this payday and he had to sell junk wax for $7 a box along the way. Am I missing steps here? So far this is a really bad scam idea.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the people that gave money to the cause after a fellow board member had a direct conversation over the phone with Mike. At that point, everything seemed to check out so it was an easy decision.

Even after reading all of this, I'm still comfortable with my decision for two reasons

1. The amount I gave him won't "break" me.
    2. It's his conscience....not mine. (Should it be a scam)

For the record, as of now I don't think it's a scam and i truly hope that all of these donations help him get back on his feet.

And if I happen to be wrong and it is a scam....well...so be it.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Matther 7:1-2

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." >>

That Matthew guy writes funny.
  • Options

<< <i>Matther 7:1-2

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." >>

If you are sent out as sheep amongst wolves, then you have to judge to discern who are the true sheep, and who are the wolves in sheep's clothing.
  • Options
    Interesting reading the replies but as most have stated:

He NEVER asked for any money and was only trying to sell stuff.
    I didnt offer anything that was going to break me as well.
    I'm in a good position that I am able to offer up something without myself having to ask for anything in return.

Also, why am I reading of others complaining who gave nothing? Seriously?! Go away. He sure as heck doesnt owe you any explanation.

The way I see it, asking for money is pretty humiliating to begin with (especially on a message board) and the fact that he posted his situation about few days before Friday (the day he says he needed it by) might indicate that he may have used up all other options and desperation made him come here.

To Mike:

Many members here stepped up and gave you something that seemed very important to you. We are not asking for our money back. Im glad I could help, on the flip side to that, I believe a HUGE THANK YOU to this board may show your appreciation. Especially since you were "begging" as you said in your post. You had no problem posting your threads on 2 boards so I think taking 5 min to thank everyone here who contibuted in some form or another isnt asking for a lot? I'm sure youve been online to check your paypal account balance though. For what its worth, I hope it really helped you and you use it in whatever way you needed it for.

• Options

<< <i>

The way I see it, asking for money is pretty humiliating to begin with (. >>

Yes, to 95% of the population it is.

To someone who is a drug addict (or other habit, gambling, etc) it is a way of life.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The way I see it, asking for money is pretty humiliating to begin with (. >>

Yes, to 95% of the population it is.

To someone who is a drug addict (or other habit, gambling, etc) it is a way of life. >>

You certainly seem to be an authority when it comes to drug and gambling addictions.

• Options
    As others have asked and I still dont see an answer....if hes selling you a product, and albeit adding a story to it, how is that a scam???? I spent 7 months in the hospital and had to sell off my complete comic book collection ( 6, 000 comics ). I explained why I was gone so long from the boards ( in 2007 I had a heart attack, 2 triple bypass (open heart surgery) kidney failure within 2 months at the age of 37) and that I had to sell my books for meds and to save my home from foreclosure.

I sold my books at low prices so I could move them fast and gain the money I needed. Some people did add a few dollars to help. I raised the money but lost my decades of comic collection. Not everything you see is a scam & its pathetic that its even looked at as a scam....you bought knowing the circumstances of his sale & yet you still wanna call him out?? Were you not shipped the product you bought??? Im missing the point of this thread and the witch hunt. The time that Ive been on this forum Ive met and dealt with some good people, but theres a load of elitists here as well. You say others have ruined the hobby, but some right here on these boards are ones ruining the hobby!!! Flame away!
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You say others have ruined the hobby, but some right here on these boards are ones ruining the hobby!!! >>

^^^^^THIS!^^^^^
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    I had a dream,
    Last night I was blind
    And I couldn't see
    Color of any kind

Picture the world,
    Minus a rainbow
    When day becomes night,
    Then where will the sun go
    Dancing alone,
    Just me and my shadow
    Color me blind,
    So I can see no evil

WHY DO WE DREAM,
    IN BLACK AND WHITE?
    COLOR ME BLIND
    WHY DO WE DREAM
    IN BLACK AND WHITE?
    COLOR ME BLIND

I had a dream,
    I was looking, over the mountain
    But I've, I've yet to see the,
    The so-called promised land

Picture the world,
    Without any color
    You couldn't tell,
    One face from the other
    I don't understand
    Why we fight with our brother
    Color me blind
    Just to love one another

Color me, color you,
    COLOR ME BLIND
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I want to share a story with you. It's long but hope you will lend me five minutes of your time.

Back in 2006, The Kentucky Wildcats were going to a bowl(Music City Bowl in my back yard) for the first time in eight years. My father is the biggest Wildcat football fan I have ever met. He just loves the game. For years, after my parents got a divorce, my father would take me on the five or six hour drive to watch terrible football. However, on those trips my father taught me so much about life/spirituality/ that those trips later in life were something very special to me looking back on them. I remember once we picked up a young mother and her son in the rain. They told us they were fleeing an abusive husband. When they got out of the car I saw my father had folded a fifty dollar bill in his hand and gave it to her. The look on her face was something I will never forget. He never mentioned it. However, my father was teaching me how to treat other people just as your parents taught you.

So when UK made a bowl game I offered two tickets on the Catspause website at the time(Catsillustrated now) to send a father/son to the game for free. Just as a small gesture to honor my father and what he had done for me. Well, the outpouring of others wanting to help was amazing and it turned into something bigger. We sent 32 (mothers/fathers/uncles/aunts etc.) to the game. They ended up getting UK gear, gas money, spending money, hotel rooms when needed etc. Well, during that time several people questioned if I was a scammer(rightfully so to some degree). However, I just wanted a son to experience the same type trip I used to get to go on with my father. We also had to deal with bogus stories that would be emailed wanting a free trip to the game. They would pull at your heart with fake requests. We spent too much time checking the validity of the requests(more on that later).

So after that first year, we swore to never do it again. The reason was the work and speculating some lied and took advantage of other kind UK fans. Well, the following year they went to a bowl game and a fan came to me and ask me to do it again. We explained the situation and he told me something that stuck with me.

He said "Nathan, when we do things like this there will be people who question us and others who take advantage of us. However, what about the people who genuinely need to just spend some quality time with their family."

So for the past seven years UK fans have sent over eight hundred people to UK football and UK basketball games(we have a whole season of front row tickets at Rupp Arena we give away). We don't spend hours checking facts. Of course, we have learned how to spot the easy ones but most fall in a category like this situation (50/50) .

Of course, people take advantage of us at times and have scored free tickets. However, if just a few of the eight hundred got to spend time with their relative the way I got to spend time with my father it was worth it in the end. Also, not to mention we have got to meet some amazing human beings through this endeavor.

This group is pretty smart and can figure out my point.

Good luck diamondman.

PS- We beat Clemson in 2006, as a ten point underdog, in the Music City Bowl. The first bowl win for UK in 22 years.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    80's,

That's a really nice post. Almost soothes my skull-shattering hangover image

At least I didn't drink and bid higher on the Goodwin Mendelsohn Ruth last night. (Though I probably will bid again today.)