Home Metal Detecting
Options

June 25/26, 2013: Fatty IHC and two silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Been a little slow going here lately. Got out yesterday to a field I hit pretty hard last year. It was cleaner than I'd imagine. Was able to pull a fatty IHC, weight 4.0 grams. Unfortunately it's pretty much toast.

Got out today to a new area to test out. Within 5 minutes I had a wheat. Thought, "now this is promising!" Then copper memorial after copper memorial began popping out. Then more copper lincolns. UGH! It was frustrating getting Lincoln after Lincoln. Towards the end of the hunt the nice Sterling moon pendant came out! I was at the point where I was mostly ignoring copper lincolns, and this signal was just slightly higher pitch, so I lucked out.

Picked up two additional wheat cents, so there was still hope of finding a silver coin. Then, fortunately a Merc popped out! Quite worn, but looks to be 1929. Also dug probably 6 toy cars. Most of the coins were deeper, 4-6 inches. So that was also a bit frustrating digging that deep for a "stinkin' Lincoln". Overall a good hunt though!

HH all.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw, you suck for that "slow" day.

I have yet to find a single "fatty" copper-nickel cent (be it IHC or Flying Eagle). Probably has something to do with my discrimination settings I use on my coinshooting sites, but I've done plenty of relic sites where I used minimal discrimination and therefore should have theoretically turned one up by now.

One time I lent my spare detector to a newbie and turned him loose in "Indian Head Alley" in one of my favorite parks. I'll be danged if that novice didn't pluck an 1863 IHC out from beneath my very nose, using MY spare detector, in a site I'd hunted repeatedly (with a variety of discrimination settings). Same lad found a 1935 Walker half beneath my bedroom window in my front yard (which was also his front yard- his mother was my landlady at the time).

So, "toasty" that "fatty" IHC may be, but I'm still envious of the find. And you followed it up with a somewhat earlier Merc and a cool piece of silver jewelry. I rather like that "man in the moon" pendant.

Nicely done. Your "off" days are like my better days.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done... silver is nice.... still a lot of Mercs out there...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver is always a good catch image
  • Options
    Nice finds! Always love sliver and Indians!