Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealers: Let's here some "Guess what walked into the shop..." stories.

guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭
I like 'em. Always interesting to see what's still out there that comes in off the street.
@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they make for good stories.....unfortunately most of what I've been hearing the past few years is "nothing's been coming in, except some bullion"......
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week - an unofficial executor of a grandfather's estate (on behalf of 3 siblings) brought in 4 1883 Kingdom of Hawaii half dollars, all with AU or better details. He had proudly polished them all, just before bringing them in. There were other lesser included Kingdom of Hawaii denoms (one quarter, four dimes) that had also been polished. imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today the mailman walked in with a package from Wayne Herndon. Two TYPE SET Capital Holders.
    Besides that, I got a call from a gentleman who's wife told him he should come back to my place. I told him to tell his wife "thanks" for liking me.
    I'm hoping and praying none of this would lead me, or him to drinking. image
    Now to the coin: he wanted information on a coin because after visiting the shop, he trusts me. Even though he never bought from me. I had to log into Heritage while I was on the phone with him because the coin he wanted information on, just didn't have any history on eBay.

When it was done, I said, "well if it has no problems, feel free to offer over $20K. But since it has problems, I'd be a buyer of this peace at $4k., even as it is ex jewelry. image

You can guess the coin and the details grade and who housed it. I'm afraid the forums will shut down if I open up any more.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    You should see some of the emails I get. image

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭
    There was this time once at coin camp ..............
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    TTT ... Could be an interesting thread , let's try again !
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ornithologists look for elusive birds and numismatists look for elusive coins; I have heard plenty of stories mainly about coins walking in and out as the owner just wanted to get an offer or idea of value, such as a gobrecht dollar. The big shops, dealers, etc., see such rarities every week. >>

If 50 big shops/dealers saw Gobrecht dollars every week, they wouldn't be rarities.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too enjoy those 'walked in' stories.... let me get a glass of wine..... ahhhh...ok...begin....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The oddest thing I ever saw walk into a shop was an accumulation of about 40 rolls
    of 1968 to 1972 XF/ AU quarters. They were P & D mint and had obviously been plucked
    out of circulation between about 1974 and 1985. The guy had really good taste and
    saved only the nice attractive well struck coins. This was back in the mid-'90's when
    they obviously had no numismatic premium and, most unfortunately, I just searched
    them for varities with which I was familiar and spent the rest. I'd give my eye teeth
    to have them back today since there are more varioeties I didn't search.

It's very unusual to have any clads walk into a shop. When they do they are the same
    ol', same ol' and the dealers generally just puts them in the till. I've seen dealers tell
    prospective sellers to just spend things like '83-P quarter rolls and once got a 1969 BU
    quarter out of a dealers till. When I asked about it he said he had four rolls and had
    been salting the till for weeks. I was able to retrieve more than 120 coins for a small
    premium to face. They were a really nice bunch of coins. Despite being obviously not
    from mint sets they were well struck from good dies (at least by '69 Philly standards).

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file