Home Metal Detecting
Options

MD outing results...

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
So I packed up the SUV and drove across the state of Tennessee and just over the NC border heading towards a place called Max Patch.

I was told that there was a house in this area in the 1800's that is now gone. I was also told that a silver coin was found... needless to say I was excited.

I tested my MD before I left and found that it needed some new batteries so I picked some up in route.

After leaving the highway I entered to dirt "improved" road and drove for about 7.5 miles on a road that seemed like straight up hill.

We arrived close to the site to find a barrier blocking the road and it was pouring out so we set up camp down the road. In the morning we walked down to find the land overgrown to about hip deep with grass and weeds... I was still excited.

We spent half the day setting up camp which took longer than expected but we had about an hour before it got dark so I walked back up to the SUV to get the MD and look for my first silver of the year.

Excited, I loaded the new batteries into the MD and... it did not work. FML. I pushed every button, re-installed the batteries, read the manual and... nothing.

Thankfully, my Uncle had his detector so we pulled it out spun it up and off I went. I quickly got a hit that landed in the 10 cent (silver) area. What came out of the ground was a lump of melted metal (assuming aluminum by all the cans I found).

After four unsuccessful digs, back pain, tall grass and the lack of light... I threw in the towel and called it a night. Just before darkness fell I pulled away putting the experience and Max Patch behind me.

Now I need to figure out what's wrong with my MD and find a new location to search.

Comments

• Options
    i had that happen a few times. first time it got rained on and stopped working. second time different detector, it got heat damage from being in the sun in my car. i sent it to the whites factory. it returned working better than it did before.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough break Ray... sometimes it goes that way..... get the MD fixed and try again. Those 'treasures' are out there..just waiting for you. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to hear that you had a bummer of a trip. it happens to the best of us.