Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Figured I'd Share...

With all the bickering about reseal kits, eBay blocking, off topic posting and the like, I figured I'd take a little time out of my day and share something that is Sports Cards related. A little image intensive, but what the heck. At least it is on topic...

Without further ado, here's my 1948 Leaf Football Set (PSA Graded):

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I never realized how nice those cards are until I saw them all together like this. Very Nice!
    Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    And just for fun, here are some of the variations (if I really get in a mood to put the autographs together, I'll post them, too):

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Awesome collection! How long did it take to complete the set?
    Working on 1971 Topps baseball set.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremendous. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

The Baugh card is what started it all for me,I was outta collecting for years,then my wife got me a
    Stabler auto,so I checked to see what this whole Psa thing was and came across the Baugh card,hook line and sinker!
    I tried twice doing this set,got to80%,soldimage I was buying the holder not the card at the time.Mostly oc and just
    fugly cards but wanted to finish at any cost,have been slowly getting back to my favorite set by far.
    As you already know,that is just awesome to look thru,will be my screensaver for a bit. Congrats on what I think is
    the best FB set to own!!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    That is a really nice set image
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    BAM!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Cool stuff. The colors remind of one of the old time Bowman sets. Can't remember what year.
  • SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set. Great visual appeal, iconic and the set is not so large as to make collecting it tedious with no end in sight. I am trying to put together a nice 1951 Ringside PSA set myself.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
    Thanks for the kind words...

I've got a few pieces that accompany the set as well as a raw set and about 2/3 of the set autographed. The better wrappers are stashed away and I hadn't scanned them, but here is an original display box (I have yet to see or hear of another) and a wrapper:

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Very Impressive Scott !!! image---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Totally awesome collection!

Doug
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Damn - that's impressive

• BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Scott.

Very, very, very nice.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking cards....actually, gorgeous cards.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Very very nice. Love to see all of the variations.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    That is just LUSCIOUS! I never knew how nice that set looked with all the cards side by side like your showing them. Do you display them Scott? I have never even seen a box or wrapper from this set. What else do you got to show? I love seeing stuff like this.

<< <i>Do you display them Scott? I have never even seen a box or wrapper from this set. What else do you got to show? I love seeing stuff like this. >>

Display? No. They're stored in a special Pelican case of the MB's making with their duplicates and signed brothers.

What else do I have to show? Hmmmmm, anything specific? Oddball? Mainstream? Sublime?
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Anything, I just like looking at cards.

What got you collecting this set? Is there a particular card that started it all? You have an amazing collection, I would love to know what brought you to 48 Leaf.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Great set. I had some of the same questions Matt did.

Why this set? What do you like most about it? How long has it taken you to get to this point? What remains to be done as far as collecting this set? What is your favorite card from this set and why? Also, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

I always like seeing collections like this that are complete, unique, and meaningful in some personal way.

• Why are some of them turned on their sides?
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott, great looking set!!! Thanks for sharing

Is it true about you being in a Turkish prison?
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Simply amazing. I agree with everyone else, would love to see more. There are not enough people on these boards showing off football cards.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, thanks for sharing.
    Good for you.
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Scott, great looking set. Thanks for sharing.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, no unopened pack?
  • It's nice to see someone share cards instead of complaints. Nice set Scott, let us know if and when you make upgrades!

TF
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing this set. Very well-matched.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... Really nice when the whole set is displayed!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Scott. I'm really glad you decided against selling the set.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott
    The best thing about this set is it's a true labor of love for you.
    Considering the cost and condition sensitivity the set is very very nice.

Does psa now recognize some of the variations and willing to put them of the flip?

Are the color variations due to changes of printing ink...and is that due to manuf running out and proceding
    with another?

Thanks for sharing
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    To answer a few questions:

1. I started this because of the challenge it presented after finishing the 1977 Topps Mexican Football Set (another toughie).
    2. Took me over a year to complete the basic set which is still a work in progress.
    3. The current goals are to upgrade to PSA 7 or better on 1-49 and PSA 6 or better on 50-98.
    4. The variations are multi-fold . . . some are due to inking anomalies, some die to plate changes and others due to different ink applications.
    5. My favorite card is the Bednarik (Orange Background) as it is one of the best centered examples that I've ever seen.
    6. Long term, I'm looking to add more White Backgrounds and get over 95% on the Master Set as well as trying to complete the set completely autographed (more than 2/3 done).
    7. I do not know of an unopened pack that exists, but would love to own one if one exists.
    8. Some of the variations need to be "reflipped."
    9. I have never been in a Turkish prison, but I have eaten Turkish Taffy -- although never in a prison.
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set. Thanks for sharing!
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Scott, I agree with everyone else. What an awesome collection. On the Bednarik, can you tell the difference between the yellow and orange? I sent one to PSA that looked more orange that your fine example and it came back yellow. Like you the Bednarik is my favorite card in the set.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job on putting that set together!

Dave
  • So it seems the only thing you're missing is a 48 Leaf uncut sheet, or wax pack? image

Well done Scotty, its been great seeing you work on this set over the years. Fantastic thread, looking foward to wresting with you in the hotel lobby in Chicago.....
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Meh, I do not care for the 1948 Leaf set. image

Awesome stuff, as always, Scott. This base set is a beast by itself due to centering... tackling all the variations (recognized or not) and autographs is just insane.

Do you think there are white background variations out there for all 98 cards?

Snorto~
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Awesome to see the completed set Scott and I especially like that empty box. The auto project will definitely be a labor of love. Are there any cards that you know of that may have never been signed? Or conversely, has anyone ever completed the set with all autos?

But I was really hoping to get your insight into the Turkish prison system even if it was just to eat Turkish Taffy. I guess I'll just have to take Dan's word for it. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine haul image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Lame....not even 1 mojolicious RGIII prizm auto cracked aice superfractor in the bunch.image

<< <i>The auto project will definitely be a labor of love. Are there any cards that you know of that may have never been signed? Or conversely, has anyone ever completed the set with all autos? >>

Technically, they all are probably signed. There was quite a gap from release to the first passing of a player featured in the issue. There are some that are tougher to find than others as quite a few did not continue their playing careers after college. Amazingly, there were about 25 of the 98 still alive as few as 4 years ago. That number has dwindled quickly as they approached their 90's...

The most complete set that I'm aware of (which has since been sold and broken up) was short about 4 signed cards.